Flight Simulator 2020

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
How large have all of the world updates been thus far that have come out for MSFS2020?

I'm wondering how large the full download will be start with for the Xbox S ( I've preinstalled 285MB, until the official release on 27 July).

But then I also start wondering about how all of the following updates are going to affect available SSD space on the console.
And the official Seagate Expansion drives are pricey, but that's life.

I'd be interested though to see how they're gonna deal with it.

Right now while I'm "n00bing"it out on GamePass Ultimate, I'm trying out a lot of different titles. And will likely have to cut down when the simulator comes along, if the constant updates are going to keep piling up the drive.
Unless we get cloud access. But I think they did mention that they're utilizing Microsoft's Cloud infrastructure. Though I'm not sure if especially for this game, if we'll have access to it here.

genetic

Honorary Master
How large have all of the world updates been thus far that have come out for MSFS2020?

World updates don't accumulate in size - they're are updated. It's like updating any app - the old content gets overwritten or deleted.

I'm wondering how large the full download will be start with for the Xbox S ( I've preinstalled 285MB, until the official release on 27 July).

But then I also start wondering about how all of the following updates are going to affect available SSD space on the console.
And the official Seagate Expansion drives are pricey, but that's life.

I'd be interested though to see how they're gonna deal with it.

Right now while I'm "n00bing"it out on GamePass Ultimate, I'm trying out a lot of different titles. And will likely have to cut down when the simulator comes along, if the constant updates are going to keep piling up the drive.
Unless we get cloud access. But I think they did mention that they're utilizing Microsoft's Cloud infrastructure. Though I'm not sure if especially for this game, if we'll have access to it here.

FS2020 streams dynamic content to a rolling cache folder, so data gets continuously over-written. The game won't balloon in size overtime.

That's why a good internet connection is required to play the game as content is continuously downloaded and overwritten to the cache folder as you play. If you don't have a good enough connection, you'll see low-res terrain detail if your internet connection can't keep up - especially if you fly over new areas.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
World updates don't accumulate in size - they're are updated. It's like updating any app - the old content gets overwritten or deleted.

FS2020 streams dynamic content to a rolling cache folder, so data gets continuously over-written. The game won't balloon in size overtime.

That's why a good internet connection is required to play the game as content is continuously downloaded and overwritten to the cache folder as you play. If you don't have a good enough connection, you'll see low-res terrain detail if your internet connection can't keep up - especially if you fly over new areas.

Aha! Much appreciated thanks.

Yeah, I'm showing my gaming age now :p :D

genetic

Honorary Master
Aha! Much appreciated thanks.

Yeah, I'm showing my gaming age now :p :D

Flight Sim 2020 has over 2.5 petabytes of data... there's no SSD that big. :p

Data is streamed to the console as needed;

Flight Simulator's console release is driven in part by Microsoft's potent Azure servers, which can stream the massive 2.5 petabytes of Flight Sim data from the servers directly to console hardware.

We have 2.5 petabytes of data sitting on Azure, and we're basically streaming that as you go.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8005...eams-2-5-petabytes-of-data-on-xbox/index.html

Piesang

Executive Member
Anyone playing FS 2020 on PC with a Xbox Game Pass Ultimate? If yes, how do I get it with Game Pass Ultimate?

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Anyone playing FS 2020 on PC with a Xbox Game Pass Ultimate? If yes, how do I get it with Game Pass Ultimate?

I haven't bothered yet, as the only reasonable (and still really not enough to play it lekker) piece of kit I have is my work laptop.
And I'm not in the mood to irk our IT guys if they do get to snooping around to see what's loaded on it :p

27 July can't come soon enough for the console version!

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I noticed last night that my pre install was updating itself on the console.

Had to stop it, as it was hogging all the line speed while working.

So I have it going now again.

Possibly they're rolling out to avoid slow downloads on the 27th, worldwide release date.
Or who knows, maybe some early access?

6efbb67d115f8de2353c9a85e7d69d0f.jpg

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
89GB of 97GB done for now, will be interested to see if it does allow me to do anything with it ahead of the official time.
Doubt it though, but its so damned cold here tonight - I'll use the anticipation to heat me up lol :D

Brawler

Honorary Master
89GB of 97GB done for now, will be interested to see if it does allow me to do anything with it ahead of the official time.
Doubt it though, but its so damned cold here tonight - I'll use the anticipation to heat me up lol :D
Pretty sure I did this for the PC version and it only unlocked on the day (with another moerse patch).

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Pretty sure I did this for the PC version and it only unlocked on the day (with another moerse patch).

The total file size iirc is meant to be around 102GB, so this 97GB and the previous 256MB is still a bit under that. Sure there'll be another little patch on the 27th too.

jdido87

Expert Member
At the moment it's only available for the latest gen consoles unfortunately.
They are looking at rolling it out to the Xbox One, via the Cloud. But they're still working on that and no timeframe has been announced for it yet.
Thank you for the reply. What price am I looking at for a used PC that meets the recommended requirements. I am going to convince my wife I need it.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Thank you for the reply. What price am I looking at for a used PC that meets the recommended requirements. I am going to convince my wife I need it.
Good luck with the wife - I was suprised how quickly I got the go ahead for the console I got :p :D

I opted to just get a second hand xbox S series. Cost me R5500. Throwing a PC together on medium specs for MSFS2020 new, is in the 15-18k range iirc.

Take 20-30% off that for used.

I just couldn't justify the bigger cost right now for myself.

I'll still be looking to get peripherals for the console, that's another R4-6k I reckon, dependant.
But at least I still have the option of other games on GamePass Ultimate.
I think my days of upgrading PC's every year are over for me right now :p

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
So upon completion of the download, I opted to entertain myself and fire it up.

Oh the excitement as the logos and little intro got going and left me with the following :p

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_013836.jpg
    IMG_20210723_013836.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 29

jdido87

Expert Member
Good luck with the wife - I was suprised how quickly I got the go ahead for the console I got :p :D

I opted to just get a second hand xbox S series. Cost me R5500. Throwing a PC together on medium specs for MSFS2020 new, is in the 15-18k range iirc.

Take 20-30% off that for used.

I just couldn't justify the bigger cost right now for myself.

I'll still be looking to get peripherals for the console, that's another R4-6k I reckon, dependant.
But at least I still have the option of other games on GamePass Ultimate.
I think my days of upgrading PC's every year are over for me right now :p
The Xbox One S i bought years ago is starting to age now. I think I will just buy a X if the game play is the same as on PC.