FLLA phones?

CathJ

Expert Member
So Telkom phoned me today to say that they're cancelling all copper lines in my area and replacing them with FLLA. I get the device free, but... what is this device? I can't find much on the net, and the only pic I did find looks like the phone isn't cordless. I really prefer a cordless phone, since I have double storey house and can't run up/down the stairs every time the phone rings...
Am I stuck with the free telkom device, or are there better devices out there that I can buy?

I've never looked at FLLA before, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

alphabyte

The instrument they use is the AGP-KW125. You can Google it, there is plenty of info available.
It is a cordless phone, and uses a sim just like any cell phone; in fact you can use the sim in any phone of your choice. The only cord is for the charger.
You're lucky to get it free - I recently had the experience of changing from landline (copper) to FLLA because of extended service interruption due to cable theft, and I had to pay for the instrument :crying:

Last edited:

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
So Telkom phoned me today to say that they're cancelling all copper lines in my area and replacing them with FLLA. I get the device free, but... what is this device? I can't find much on the net, and the only pic I did find looks like the phone isn't cordless. I really prefer a cordless phone, since I have double storey house and can't run up/down the stairs every time the phone rings...
Am I stuck with the free telkom device, or are there better devices out there that I can buy?

I've never looked at FLLA before, so I'm at a bit of a loss.
Hi there. Which area do you stay in? We would like to ask Telkom about the line cancellations.

CathJ

Expert Member
Hi there. Which area do you stay in? We would like to ask Telkom about the line cancellations.
Sorry, don't know why I didn't see this till now! I'm in Kenilworth, but I know people in Plumstead who are in the same situation.

Al Gray

I received the call today from Telkom too, while at my parent's house informing us of the move to FLLA.

Currently my folks are using a regular Telkom phone, plus a double handset cordless system. This means that they can do calls in the kitchen (with the normal phone) - and also have one cordless handset in the lounge, and also one in the bedroom. Each of the cordless phones has a separate charger stand in those rooms. They are very old, and cannot move quickly. This arrangement has worked really well in the past few years, and they are used to it, and how it operates.

There is no ability to connect the existing cordless phones to the new Telkom FLLA device. No "landline port" as such. WTF are Telkom thinking?

Telkom is now forcing them to trash all the systems they bought, and move to a single phone. This doesn't suit them at all. If we want more than one point, we have to get an extra FLLA device, at double the cost per month.

What is the solution here guys? Any advice will be appreciated.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
If your copper infrastructure runs through hotspot areas and are at risk of being stolen, or has been stolen frequently in the recent past, you'll be moved to FLLA.

alphabyte

You are partly right in that you will need to get an additional cordless phone (or two), but there will be no additional monthly cost. It is sim-based, and you can use any cellphone if you wish, it does not have to be the Telkom-supplied instrument. You will of course have to get additional sim(s) for the extra phones.

alphabyte

Can you attach FLLA to a fax?
The Telkom-supplied instrument has no suitable jack or connection that you can use for a fax; so the short answer is: no.

momo786

So my mom just received this phone. Land lines seems to be deactivated and the wireless phone says "invalid sim". Any idea how to activate?

Tried doing a network search but no luck.

alphabyte

... the wireless phone says "invalid sim". Any idea how to activate?
Here are a few things you can try:
  • Are you sure you have Telkom coverage in your area? https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/ucm/
  • Wipe the sim's contacts clean, and re-insert it
  • Make sure that the sim is inserted the right way round. Sorry for stating the obvious, but the sim will fit in any orientation. With the phone upside down, the notch should be at the top right, with the contactless side facing you.
  • insert the sim in a cellphone and see if it works there. It is a full-size sim, btw.
  • Insert a different sim in the FLLA instrument and see if that works. Then you should know if it the sim or the instrument that is giving you trouble.
  • If it is the sim, take it back to a Telkom shop and let them check it and activate it for you.
Strongs; please let us know what happens.

Justubbs

So my mom just received this phone. Land lines seems to be deactivated and the wireless phone says "invalid sim". Any idea how to activate?

Tried doing a network search but no luck.
You have to contact Telkom sales (10213) to have them activate the SIM. My parents did that last week, still waiting for the activation. So they've been without there landline for a week now.

My parents also had multiple cordless phones which are now totally redundant. Any bright sparks with ideas to connect the new phone to the copper telephone wires in the house?

Golovaan

You have to contact Telkom sales (10213) to have them activate the SIM. My parents did that last week, still waiting for the activation. So they've been without there landline for a week now.

My parents also had multiple cordless phones which are now totally redundant. Any bright sparks with ideas to connect the new phone to the copper telephone wires in the house?
Did you come right, I'm having same problem running from telkom shop to shop to phoning them 100 times no1 can help, plus they said free phone worth R1000, when i checked my statement for Nov I see a charge for R1199 for device.

oliveijx

Users with Telkom FLLA product must check if they are able to make International Calls. Have heard from some people that they are unable to make international phone calls?

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Got the followup call today - questions I asked:

1) Will the cost change at all? A: No
2) Will the device cost me anything? A: No
3) Is this more reliable than my current phone line? A: Yes! (hah! IWBIWISI)
4) Can I have more than one device active? A: This is planned for the future (hah!)
5) Will my package remain the same? Same call rates etc? A: Yes
6) Can I still make international calls? A: Yes

Anything else I should be asking?

jcheek

Expert Member
My parents are in a retirement home in the Morningside / Paulshof area in the north of Jo'burg. In the last 6 months their complex has had several visits from a Telkom sales team trying to persuade them to move to FLLA due to cable theft / damage in the area. As yet they have not had official notification of a "forced migration" and Telkom cannot give me a definitive answer on whether this is actually going to happen or not.

As it happens, the analogue voice/ADSL services in this area have actually been very stable over the past few years, so I'm not sure what criteria Telkom use to decide who to migrate and when.

I would consider FLLA to avoid any future disruptions, but - as already mentioned in this thread - they already have a sizeable investment in cordless DECT phones that need an analogue POTS jack to work :-\
I moved them off ADSL onto fixed-wireless LTE a few months ago, so that part of things is taken care of. For now they are good with a landline carrying voice only.

Hester123

My parents got this phone and everthing is working except you cannot hear the phone ring? Is there something we are missing. They are very old.
The sound is on its loudest. Where is the mute button or isn;'t there one?