FLLA phones?

jcheek

Expert Member
Found this thread discussing the availability/activation of VoLTE on Telkom Mobile on the forum.
There is also this Telkom VoLTE FAQ PDF (copy attached) that has been floating around on the 'net for about a year.

In a nutshell, it seems that VoLTE support was/is being rolled out on the Telkom Mobile network over the past year or so, but hasn't been widely available (or activated) to date. Some of the last posts in the thread above were made within the past few weeks and indicate that some users with TM contracts are starting to see VoLTE going active on handsets that support it.

If and when VoLTE becomes available on the FLLA/SmartVoice contracts, the main advantage would be faster call setup and the ability to make calls without interrupting the data connection whilst connected on 4G/LTE. Call quality would be likely to be better than VoIP and comparable to a normal cellular voice call. Support for high-quality calls using the HD Voice codec would depend on whether it is supported by devices at both ends of the call.

Last edited:

jcheek

Expert Member
I also decided against cancelling the 2nd voice line, in favour of porting it to SwitchTel VoIP. For R49/mo for the VoIP line, R150 for the port and some odd Rands in call time, I will be able to do some tests to see how well VoIP works over 4G/LTE. My folks live practically in the shadow of a cell tower, so their 4G/LTE signal is excellent, we'll see if that translates into good VoIP call quality. If it works well, we'll port everything to SwitchTel; if not, we'll just stay with the (expensive!) Telkom FLLA/cellular service.
As a bonus : The whole porting/line cancellation process is driven by SwitchTel, and from previous experience it's absolutely seamless. The first Telkom will know of the line cancellation is when a number port instruction arrives from SwitchTel. For the pleasure of not having to deal with Telkom for canceling a line, the princely sum of R150 is a bargain :love:
As expected, the process of porting the 2nd Telkom line to SwitchTel went flawlessly, even over the festive season.
Placed the order with SwitchTel on 19/12/2019, order was approved on 3/1/2020, hardware arrived on 6/1, line was up on 10/1. Outbound calls already work, porting (to receive inbound calls on the old number) will be completed this evening. Telkom are fully aware of the port request and resulting line cancellation (thanks, SwitchTel).
On a technical level, the first few calls made on the SwitchTel service, using VoIP-over-4G/LTE, seem fine.
Sadly, SwitchTel say that as yet, they have no plans to offer VoLTE for their customers who have 4G/LTE connections.

Started the process of downgrading the FLLA/cellular line from SmartVoice300 to SmartVoice100 and returning the DWR-956M router to Telkom for credit. I feel more than a little trepidation for how much pain the latter issue might cause me lol.
Also as expected, this process has been shambolic. Submitted a verbal downgrade instruction on 19/12/2019, and despite numerous follow-ups and a written confirmation (sent to 10213@telkom.co.za on 9/01/2020), we still can't even get Telkom to acknowledge that a downgrade order has been received, or give an order number, let alone execute the order. Stunning service as always ...

Last edited:

Clebo81

My gran has the FLLA wifi phone and whilst using it it has muted itself. When a call comes through it only shows up on the small screen but the phone no longer rings. When I tried to adjust the sound of the ring and click ok to set it it always reverts to the muted volume setting. How can I fix this?
You ever got this sorted? I'm having the same problem.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
DLink FLLA is the worst piece of crap I have ever come across :thumbsdown:.

Can the routers work with a multiple device setup? (A phones across a house all connected to the same line/number).

In a single device setup what other FLLA handsets work well?

jcheek

Expert Member
DLink FLLA is the worst piece of crap I have ever come across :thumbsdown:.
As a personal opinion, that's an amusing sentiment, but a bit lacking in specifics lol
What specific 'D-LINK FLLA' device are you referring to ? The DWR-720PW, or the DWR-956M ?

Can the routers work with a multiple device setup? (A phones across a house all connected to the same line/number).
Well, if you mean the DWR-956M modem/router, it has a single RJ-11 telephone socket, into which you can plug any number of analogue handsets. All handsets will operate in parallel and all will be able to make and receive calls on the same FLLA (cellphone) number.
Other modem/routers like the ZTE MF286 and Huawei B593 have two analogue phone sockets on the device itself, that will operate in the same way

In a single device setup what other FLLA handsets work well?
Have a read through the full thread and you will see reference to several different makes and models of standalone FLLA devices, as well as modem/routers that can be used for both FLLA and VoIP.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
As a personal opinion, that's an amusing sentiment, but a bit lacking in specifics lol
What specific 'D-LINK FLLA' device are you referring to ? The DWR-720PW, or the DWR-956M ?
DWR-720PW - full signal and it stops receiving calls - restart the phone and get smss for all the missed calls. Poor audio quality on calls.

Edit: the last straw was half the keypad becoming non-responsive, requiring a few restarts.

Well, if you mean the DWR-956M modem/router, it has a single RJ-11 telephone socket, into which you can plug any number of analogue handsets. All handsets will operate in parallel and all will be able to make and receive calls on the same FLLA (cellphone) number.
Other modem/routers like the ZTE MF286 and Huawei B593 have two analogue phone sockets on the device itself, that will operate in the same way
This setup is for someone else that has one of those RJ-11 multi-lines (4 ports) - so cable from router to multi-line and they should be good to go.

Have a read through the full thread and you will see reference to several different makes and models of standalone FLLA devices, as well as modem/routers that can be used for both FLLA and VoIP.
I have skimmed the entire thread, and as it was started in 2018, I wanted info on any new models out.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Oh, and work colleague has the DWP-720PW - only rings once for incoming calls. Any idea how to fix that?