FNB delays virtual card launch

blunt

Expert Member
Pity this doesn't reflect in online banking too. App banking is convenient and all but I do still like to do things via internet banking.

blunt

Expert Member
Added it to Google as a payment method, where my old card shows a VISA icon this virtual card shows this icon:
1611126258847.png

Interesting.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Excuse my doffness, but does this mean we will eventually be replacing the existing plastic card with a virtual card?

For example, my credit card runs out end of March. If I register it now as a virtual card, I'd imagine they will both work side by side (will they), but will they send me a new one when the plastic one expires?

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Excuse my doffness, but does this mean we will eventually be replacing the existing plastic card with a virtual card?

For example, my credit card runs out end of March. If I register it now as a virtual card, I'd imagine they will both work side by side (will they), but will they send me a new one when the plastic one expires?

More like you can setup a vitual card for Netflix, and that card can only be used at Netflix to a maximum of R150.

It will not replace your physical cards.

blunt

Expert Member

Not sure.. the virtual card links to an Account and not to a Card so theoretically I suppose you don't need the plastic one anymore - don't know what FNB's take on it will be.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Just used mine for a rain subscription.

Nimz

Executive Member
It would be nice if it was treated as a separate account

i.e. you could load that card with an amount and it will only use that balance

Much like what STD Bank does with their virtual cards

Unless I'm dom and missing something

blunt

Expert Member
It would be nice if it was treated as a separate account

i.e. you could load that card with an amount and it will only use that balance

Much like what STD Bank does with their virtual cards

Unless I'm dom and missing something
Ye no FNB doesn't create a pocket for their virtual cards

JustJack

Expert Member
Added one on my app too. See that it automatically expires on 26 Jan and the CCV expires in 1 hour after loading

HumanShield

With the Virtual cards now, and this is so hopeful. The infrastructure is there for Apple Card perhaps? It is essentially a virtual card. But that's just very wishful thinking

blunt

Expert Member
Hmm tested it with Snapscan and my purchase failed due to invalid CVC.. guess this is only for once off? Haven't tried PayPal/Google yet.

HumanShield

Hmm tested it with Snapscan and my purchase failed due to invalid CVC.. guess this is only for once off? Haven't tried PayPal/Google yet.
I suspect, because of the changing CVV, it's not going to work well on apps like SnapScan and Zapper. Online purchases will work fine though.