FNB Global Account Card

Visser

Expert Member
Did anyone ever successfully order the Global Account card?

https://www.fnb.co.za/forex/investments/global-accounts.html

I have a Global USD account with FNB, in fact, had it for a few years already. It shows in my online banking profile, with $ in it, but for some reason I cannot order a card. I get an error message that the account is closed.

Also, if I try to add a new Global Account, USD no longer appears in the drop down box, only GBP, AUD, etc.

Last edited:

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
Did anyone ever successfully order the Global Account card?

https://www.fnb.co.za/forex/investments/global-accounts.html

I have a Global USD account with FNB, in fact, had it for a few years already. It shows in my online banking profile, with $ in it, but for some reason I cannot order a card. I get an error message that the account is closed.

Also, if I try to add a new Global Account, USD no longer appears in the drop down box, only GBP, AUD, etc.
Contact the forex call center, they reactivated my account.

Visser

Expert Member
Contact the forex call center, they reactivated my account.
Thanks, will do.

But for what reason will they close the account? Is this some account you need to reactivate all the time?

I also noticed from my Transfers tab that the account no longer appears there either.

The scary thing is, what if you are abroad and suddenly the account is 'closed'?

tRoN

Executive Member
I received the card but haven’t used it as yet

Visser

Expert Member
I received the card but haven’t used it as yet
Thanks, I now need to find out why the closed my Global account. There are still money in it and it was never removed from my online banking profile. I only saw it was closed when I tried to order the card. At the time I applied for the account there were no cards, I only saw this today for the first time.

Visser

Expert Member
Okay, took about 4 days for FNB to reactivate the account. Apparently you need to continuously deposit funds, else they will place a hard hold on the account and/or close it. Seems they do not like it if you only make a once-off deposit of a couple hundred Dollars.

Now waiting for my card to be delivered.

Will be interesting if someone knows the costs associated with using the card for international purchases. Is it cheaper than making use of your credit / cheque card abroad?

signates

Executive Member
How often is continuously? Every month or every x months?

I just opened up an account 2 weeks ago and had the card delivered last week. I made one transfer into the account.

Visser

Expert Member
How often is continuously? Every month or every x months?

I just opened up an account 2 weeks ago and had the card delivered last week. I made one transfer into the account.
I really can't say.

I opened my global account early last year, or perhaps even late the year before that. I transferred about $400 into the account and just left it. At the time there were no cards. The account with the funds showed in my online banking profile, so everything looked fine.

A week ago I saw they now had cards for the account and I tried to order one. Then I got an error message showing that the account was closed.

Called FNB and they said the account was closed due to inactivity. Another forex staff member also said it was closed because I did not deposit any more funds into the account on a regular basis. On a third call to the bank, another staff member also said it was a hard hold because I did not transfer any further funds.

theonlybutler

Will be interesting if someone knows the costs associated with using the card for international purchases. Is it cheaper than making use of your credit / cheque card abroad?
Sorry not sure if this thread is dead but they've added the pricing to the premier cheque pricing guide near the end. Seems quite reasonable, free when swiping in the card currency. And it looks like they've dropped that R65 transfer fee making this product real viable to use often.

Flashgear

Flashgear
Got mine today, looks like a decent card to have if you travel often or just want to store some $

signates

Executive Member
Used my USD Global Card online to buy a plex lifetime membership. $74.99 was debited from my account. No extra fees or currency conversion fees.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Just bumping this thread...
How did you order the debit card that goes with the account (so I can have LoungeKey access)?
I've asked my PC banker in the interim, but myBB is usually faster with answers.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Just bumping this thread...
How did you order the debit card that goes with the account (so I can have LoungeKey access)?
I've asked my PC banker in the interim, but myBB is usually faster with answers.
I applied for mine just before the site changed. In your online banking menu, click on your main account, then go to My Bank Cards in the menu. From there, click on Additional Card. It should show your card in the options.

signates

Executive Member
Any fees charged for the delivery or is it free ?
Free delivery. There's only an annual card fee for every additional global account card.

I have a USD and GBP Global account and cards and was charged the annual card fee on the second card requested. You can have the global account without the card though.