Ford Bronco

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Ford Bronco revealed as reborn (two- or four-door) off-roader!

Ford has finally whipped the covers off its reborn Bronco, offering the Jeep Wrangler rival in both two- and four-door guise (there's also a fresh-faced unibody Bronco Sport, which we'll cover in a separate story).

The Blue Oval brand says production is scheduled to kick off in “early 2021” in Michigan, with buyers in North America having access to a range “more than 200” factory-backed accessories.

Ford says the new Bronco’s “mission” is to deliver “maximum 4x4 go-anywhere, anytime capability and confidence”. All models feature an independent front suspension and a solid axle design featuring coil springs with five locating links at the rear. Two types of 4x4 system are offered, featuring up to seven driver-selectable modes (including the obligatory Baja setting).

The base system makes use of a two-speed electronic shift-on-the-fly transfer case, while the optional advanced arrangement employs a two-speed electromechanical transfer case that adds an auto mode for on-demand engagement to select between 2H and 4H. Power is distributed to a Dana 44 AdvanTEK solid rear axle and Dana AdvanTEK independent front differential unit, both with optional Spicer Performa-TraK electronic locking differentials

So, what’s happening under that bonnet? Well, power comes from the Dearborn-based firm’s turbocharged 2,7-litre EcoBoost V6 petrol engine, which is “projected to produce” 231 kW and 542 N.m in Bronco form. There’s also a version of Ford’s turbocharged 2,3-litre EcoBoost four-cylinder petrol engine, which is excepted to generate 201 kW and 420 N.m. Interestingly, Ford will offer the choice of a seven-speed manual gearbox and a 10-speed automatic transmission.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
If You Didn't Get A McLaren Senna, The 2021 Ford Bronco Will Sate Your Lust For A Vehicle With A Hole In The Door

t was in mid-December of 2017 when I got the bad news. The 500th and final of McLaren’s hyper exclusive Senna hypercars had been allocated and I would not, in fact, get to drive home with a super awesome hole that I could see through in my door.I considered renting one of those NASCAR saws to cut a hole in my old Bugatti Veyron’s door, but ultimately decided against it because it’s a vintage car now and I couldn’t stand to modify it. I have never been more disappointed to have a company not accept my 7-figure check.

That is, until Ford showed me the way.

The McLaren Senna was an ugly duckling, but I would have put up with its high price, acquired taste styling, and atrocious fuel mileage to be able to watch the road go by through a window at my left hip. I never expected a non-hypercar, and a Ford no less, to offer such an exquisite luxury. Not only that, but instead of filling the hole with a polycarbonate window, Ford just left this one open to the air. Imagine the cooling sensation of wind rushing over your nethers at speed in the Bronco two-door with a giant hole in the door.

Snip.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Ford Bronco revealed as reborn (two- or four-door) off-roader!

Ford has finally whipped the covers off its reborn Bronco, offering the Jeep Wrangler rival in both two- and four-door guise (there's also a fresh-faced unibody Bronco Sport, which we'll cover in a separate story).

The Blue Oval brand says production is scheduled to kick off in “early 2021” in Michigan, with buyers in North America having access to a range “more than 200” factory-backed accessories.

Ford says the new Bronco’s “mission” is to deliver “maximum 4x4 go-anywhere, anytime capability and confidence”. All models feature an independent front suspension and a solid axle design featuring coil springs with five locating links at the rear. Two types of 4x4 system are offered, featuring up to seven driver-selectable modes (including the obligatory Baja setting).

The base system makes use of a two-speed electronic shift-on-the-fly transfer case, while the optional advanced arrangement employs a two-speed electromechanical transfer case that adds an auto mode for on-demand engagement to select between 2H and 4H. Power is distributed to a Dana 44 AdvanTEK solid rear axle and Dana AdvanTEK independent front differential unit, both with optional Spicer Performa-TraK electronic locking differentials

So, what’s happening under that bonnet? Well, power comes from the Dearborn-based firm’s turbocharged 2,7-litre EcoBoost V6 petrol engine, which is “projected to produce” 231 kW and 542 N.m in Bronco form. There’s also a version of Ford’s turbocharged 2,3-litre EcoBoost four-cylinder petrol engine, which is excepted to generate 201 kW and 420 N.m. Interestingly, Ford will offer the choice of a seven-speed manual gearbox and a 10-speed automatic transmission.

New Ford Bronco Sport unveiled as (Kuga-based) 'baby Bronco'

The new Ford Bronco Sport has been revealed, based on the Kuga and positioned as a baby brother to the new ladder-frame Bronco variants.

In North America, top-spec versions of the fresh-faced Bronco Sport are offered with a turbocharged 2,0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine set to produce 183 kW and 373 N.m. There’s also a turbocharged 1,5-litre EcoBoost petrol unit expected to generate 135 kW and 258 N.m.

Both engines are paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission as standard, with some variants offering tiller-mounted paddle shifters.

Despite being based on the Kuga and thus featuring a unibody construction, Ford says the Bronco Sport has “off-road performance at its core”, providing solid footing on “sand, snow, mud, rocks and more”.

Naks

Expert Member
F me, that is one kick-ass off-roader! Sales of this will demolish the new Defender IMHO

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Redline Reviews first look at the 2021 Bronco

Redline Reviews first look at the 2021 Bronco Sport

FiestaST

Honorary Master
My 2c on the Bronco & Bronco Sport:

- Design wise Ford is onto a winner with the Bronco, many design traits from the Bronco's rich past is in this latest version.
- Ford did a really good job building up the hype for the unveiling.
- The Bronco will be a hot seller in the US, no question. The Bronco Sport less so imo as the sector it competes in is much more saturated ito competition.
- Ford must be commended on an extensive list of add on options, specs packs etc.
- There will be a missed opportunity if Ford does not, later down the line, hook up RHD production.

TL;DR:

The Bronco, less so the Bronco Sport, will be a major cash cow for Ford. It will also eat in some F-150 (Raptor) sales.
There will newcomers to the brand as well. Cool car.

Naks

Expert Member
this is what the New Defender should have been, but of course, LR don't play in the pure off-road market any more.

As much as I like the New Defender, I'd buy the Bronco Sport with Badlands pack for overlanding & off-roading.

prOd

Expert Member
Fudge me, I think Ford nailed this one.

Not a big fan of the Discovery looking version though. Now if only Toyota can update the FJ...:love:

Last edited:

zoozi

Retro modern styling done well, what a looker, especially the 3-door. Is there no V8 option? Will surely turn off a few yanks.

epah

Expert Member
This looks amazing. I see People cancelling their Jeep Wrangler orders for this.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Ford Bronco Sport rendered as (Maverick-previewing?) bakkie

Ford’s new Bronco Sport didn’t enjoy quite as rapturous a reception as the ladder-frame Bronco but that hasn’t stopped a digital designer from transforming it into a double-cab bakkie.

This rendering from KDesign shows what the new unibody (Kuga-based) Bronco Sport would look like were it to be fitted with a load bed.

CAC4A367-E640-40EF-A274-111787BD7008.jpeg