Ford Fiesta 1.0L Ecooboost - P2177 error code

LLoydizle

Hi everyone,

Just to start, the error code I get is: P2711 - Airflow too lean on idle Bank 1.

So I’m stuck with a complication. I don’t have any vehicle repair experience and I’m seeking help so I don’t get scammed.

About a month and a half ago, i got a check engine light come on while driving. When it happened, my car started going a bit sluggish.

I went to the mechanic and he couldn’t find issues. He reset the code and car when back to normal.

About 2 weeks (and 150km) later, the same error code came back. Took it back to the mechanic and he mentioned that the issue might be the 02 sensor being faulty. Replaced it and then another two weeks (and probably about the same kilometres), the error came back again. I took it back to the mechanic.

The mechanic has had the car for about 5 days now with constant testing. He says everything is running fine and he can’t find any cracks or holes for air to come in. He said that the sensors are looking fine and after all the driving and testing he has done, the issue might be due to a spark plug causing issues?

He said after I asked for an update and I quote:

“Yes, the testing should be done tomorrow. It seems to come back to the spark plugs, I think one is intermittent and by intermittent I mean once in every 10000 cycles. That is small”

I asked if spark plugs could cause the issue with that code and he said:

“misfire is one of the list of issues identified with the fault code. The plug isn't misfiring but rather firing different intermittently”.

I don’t know how truthful the mechanic is. I don’t even know if he’s right in this case and I really don’t want to get scammed!

If anyone can help with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Hi everyone,

Just to start, the error code I get is: P2711 - Airflow too lean on idle Bank 1.

So I’m stuck with a complication. I don’t have any vehicle repair experience and I’m seeking help so I don’t get scammed.

About a month and a half ago, i got a check engine light come on while driving. When it happened, my car started going a bit sluggish.

I went to the mechanic and he couldn’t find issues. He reset the code and car when back to normal.

About 2 weeks (and 150km) later, the same error code came back. Took it back to the mechanic and he mentioned that the issue might be the 02 sensor being faulty. Replaced it and then another two weeks (and probably about the same kilometres), the error came back again. I took it back to the mechanic.

The mechanic has had the car for about 5 days now with constant testing. He says everything is running fine and he can’t find any cracks or holes for air to come in. He said that the sensors are looking fine and after all the driving and testing he has done, the issue might be due to a spark plug causing issues?

“Yes, the testing should be done tomorrow. It seems to come back to the spark plugs, I think one is intermittent and by intermittent I mean once in every 10000 cycles. That is small”

“misfire is one of the list of issues identified with the fault code. The plug isn't misfiring but rather firing different intermittently”.

I don’t know how truthful the mechanic is. I don’t even know if he’s right in this case and I really don’t want to get scammed!

Thanks!
I have confidence in your guy and there's nowhere in your post where I feel he is scamming you. He sounds right on the money with his diagnosis, take it to Ford if you want to be properly scammed.

Last edited:

epah

Expert Member
i didnt read the whole thing but i bet that engine is kaput

Nithan15

Expert Member
i didnt read the whole thing but i bet that engine is kaput
Owning a 1.0T Fiesta Ecoboost for 5 years those engines are pretty much very reliable the Powershift Gearbox on the other hand that will drain your bank account.

Nithan15

Expert Member
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Had this issue with my Ford as well, was fixed under warranty on my car it was the fuel pressure, The petrol pump was changed as well as the 3 injectors, never had that issue again.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Had this issue with my Ford as well, was fixed under warranty on my car it was the fuel pressure, The petrol pump was changed as well as the 3 injectors, never had that issue again.
that is not cheap to fix.
Injectors aren't too bad but fuel pumps aren't cheap.

OP where are you located?

LLoydizle

I would have love to had done the same, but I have a 2016 model, so the car is out of it's warranty period now :(

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
The petrol pump probably didn't even need replacing. A low fuel pressure from there would affect all the cylinders, not one intermittently. The OP can try replace just the injectors obviously along with the plugs.

LLoydizle

Okay, so had a lengthy chat with the mechanic and this is what they have done so far:

- He checked the sparked plugs and they appear to be working fine. It's not white or clean. It's instead black from carbon. Apparently, that's a good thing.
- He mentioned that he checked all intake pipes for leaks and he found nothing so far.
- They ran tests on the MAF sensor and they said that everything is running to "specification", but I have no idea what that specification is
- They took my car for a lengthy drive yesterday as well to see how the car performs. HE didn't seem to go into detail with that. I do know that they have reset the code to try and get it pop up again, but it hasn't. I had to remind them that it took me two weeks of driving for it to pop up.

It honestly sounded like they have no clue where the issue is :(

Nithan15

Expert Member
I would have love to had done the same, but I have a 2016 model, so the car is out of it's warranty period now :(
Mine was also a 2016 and it started acting up in the first year of purchase. They kept the car for a whole month to fix that issue.

Do you have the Powershift gearbox?

Nithan15

Expert Member
The petrol pump probably didn't even need replacing. A low fuel pressure from there would affect all the cylinders, not one intermittently. The OP can try replace just the injectors obviously along with the plugs.
It was covered under the Ford Warranty so i didnt mind they could change has many parts as they wanted as long as it was not for my account.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
It was covered under the Ford Warranty so i didnt mind they could change has many parts as they wanted as long as it was not for my account.
Sure, needless replacements is stock in trade at dealers, warranty or not. I just mention it as it sounds like the OP's is out of warranty.

LLoydizle

Mine was also a 2016 and it started acting up in the first year of purchase. They kept the car for a whole month to fix that issue.

Do you have the Powershift gearbox?
Nope, it's a manual transmission for me! I heard about the cost of those things broke so went with the manual route instead! :p

Nemesys

Hi there!

I live in Bedfordview, Johannesburg. I'm really hoping this is not an expensive fix! :(
My grandson's Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost sudenly lost power and Outsurance assitsed to get teh car back home on a flatbed trailer. A Ford dealer did a diagnostic and the verdic were a piston failure on the number 3 cilinder and they quoted R75k for a new engine. This were a 2015 model with 80k on the clock. After a lot of negotiations Ford agreed to supply a new engine at no cost and my grandson only had to pay the labour at around R11k. Ford agreed to this because the car were serviced on shedule by a Ford dealer.
The car brokedown in September 2020 and by the first week of December the new engine were fitted but the when the car were taken to the Facory for clearance of the replacement the water pump broke and the new engine over heated and had to be replaced again. All in all my Grandson were without the car for more than 5 months.

Nithan15

Expert Member
My grandson's Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost sudenly lost power and Outsurance assitsed to get teh car back home on a flatbed trailer. A Ford dealer did a diagnostic and the verdic were a piston failure on the number 3 cilinder and they quoted R75k for a new engine. This were a 2015 model with 80k on the clock. After a lot of negotiations Ford agreed to supply a new engine at no cost and my grandson only had to pay the labour at around R11k. Ford agreed to this because the car were serviced on shedule by a Ford dealer.
The car brokedown in September 2020 and by the first week of December the new engine were fitted but the when the car were taken to the Facory for clearance of the replacement the water pump broke and the new engine over heated and had to be replaced again. All in all my Grandson were without the car for more than 5 months.
Wow the engine is cheaper than the gearbox control module - I was quoted R108 000.00 for just the TMC on a 2016 Ecoboost Fiesta 1.0T , thats why I traded it in.

Nemesys

Welcome to owning a ford lol
Hats off to Ford for replacing the engine of a car where the Warratee has expired. I do not know who paid for rthe second engine. My grandson actually traded the car in on another brand before the factory issued a clearance for the second engine.