Foreigner needing guidance before going mad.

AdisgruntledFrench

Hi everyone!

Just looking for advice here as I'm... lost and frustrated. Hoping this is the right section for this thread.

So, where to start.

You can see in my nick where I'm from. Not that it matters that much really. But I'm increasingly frustrated by the fact that getting something as simple as internet access for our house (moved there in September) has been a nightmare. Currently staying in Joburg.

So, asked for fibre with vodacom, as my area and street are supposedly covered.
Six weeks later, I had to cancel our request as they were yet to do the credit vetting. One would think they were responsive whenever I showed up to enquire about progress... they were not.

Tried Afrihost. Very reactive, I was impressed! But they cancelled 24 hours after I picked up the modem from them, saying my area is not covered by fibre (while their website and vuma claim it is). They offered an LTE plan instead, not interested.

Then applied with Vox. Very reactive as well, and helpful. Then complete silence for almost two months. Received a call yesterday to inform me that my area is not covered by fibre. Why they wouldn't tell me earlier, I don't exactly know.

So anyway. I'm left without internet at home. Frustrating, as this means I sometimes have to go to the office on weekends to answer urgent requests. And it's a pain in the a**.

So... I finally got the message. I need to pursue people for answers and not expect them to inform me. Apparently they don't need my money.

So, after four months without internet... I'm looking for the fastest way to get internet at home.

I've looked around, not sure what to go for.

What I need: uncapped and fast. Anything above 20 MBPS is acceptable (was dreaming of 100MPBS through fibre but not happening).

What solutions are there and which provider should I be looking at?
LTE would have been the easiest solution but are there any uncapped plans?
Other than that, I think I'll have to rely on good ol' DSL. How long would that take?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers
A disgruntled French

UrBaN963

Honorary Master

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
Is Webafrica fibre available in your area? I've had nothing but good service from them.

Anti-Chris

Good luck. Had the same issue at my previous house with Telkom. I eventually opted for the RAIN fixed wireless LTE. Not uncapped but topups are very cheap and easy to load if I run out of data.

AdisgruntledFrench

Thanks guys for all the quick replies! :D

You could try something like this.

https://www.uncappedlte.co.za/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmuHhBRD0ARIsAFWyPwiTCZ807IMmV06nc2rEVjV3OtcbmBxlLlsvBifJVMSxIPOy3dLuH6QaAs28EALw_wcB

What area are you in? DSL is an option and if you have an existing landline, could be a relatively quick installation. LTE will be a faster setup and faster speed though, signal dependent.

Edit:
Also, try Cool Ideas, they're pretty good as an ISP and should be able to help you out.
I'm in Woodmead, but very very close to Sunninghill.
The house doesn't have an existing landline I think. The owners lived there before we moved in and had no internet. I'll look up Cool ideas.

Is Webafrica fibre available in your area? I've had nothing but good service from them.
Oh, forgot about Webafrica. Those that said something was fishy (with a nice picture of a fish) with my application right after I completed the steps on their website. Could give it a shot again. Website said fibre would be available however, I'm starting to doubt that (thanks VUMA).

Good luck. Had the same issue at my previous house with Telkom. I eventually opted for the RAIN fixed wireless LTE. Not uncapped but topups are very cheap and easy to load if I run out of data.
Will look that up too, thanks! How much does a top-up cost?
As you know, video game downloads and patches tend to be more and more heavy. Wouldn't want to spend five grand a month on top-ups :D

Forgot to mention in my original post, cost wouldn't be a problem. I quickly realized how expensive internet access was here.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I am kind of struggling to understand something and did not want to create a thread for this.
I am planning on moving back over to Telkom from Afrihost.
I have a 100GB cap but Telkom offers the same plus nightsurfer. AFrihost does not.
I can't even download my games through Steam anymore as a 100GB cap is hopelessly too little.

At Afrihost, I get charged R435 and Telkom charges R200 for a 10MB, 100GB account. That's R635.
Telkom on the other hand charghes R200 for the line, R271 for the cap and R428 for the 10MB line speed. That's much more than Afrihost.

Am i missing something?

Anti-Chris

Will look that up too, thanks! How much does a top-up cost?
As you know, video game downloads and patches tend to be more and more heavy. Wouldn't want to spend five grand a month on top-ups :D
Super cheap R10 per gig. I just remembered that Rain ceased their fixed wireless offer a while ago, not sure if it is available again yet.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I am kind of struggling to understand something and did not want to create a thread for this.
I am planning on moving back over to Telkom from Afrihost.
I have a 100GB cap but Telkom offers the same plus nightsurfer. AFrihost does not.
I can't even download my games through Steam anymore as a 100GB cap is hopelessly too little.

At Afrihost, I get charged R435 and Telkom charges R200 for a 10MB, 100GB account. That's R635.
Telkom on the other hand charghes R200 for the line, R271 for the cap and R428 for the 10MB line speed. That's much more than Afrihost.

Am i missing something?
Any reason you don't go Cool Ideas? I ask because, if you're on Openserve, they offer a 10/5 Uncapped, unshaped line for R499.

https://www.cisp.co.za/ftth/openserve-residential/

AdisgruntledFrench

Just checked, open serve only has VDSL for my address. Only one building on my street is covered.
Cell C claims I should be covered by VUMA fibre. However, Afrihost cancelled saying it wasn't the case.

I might look at Telkom uncapped LTE.

edit: wow, the openserve website is confusing as f...
Can't find their DSL offers.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I personally wouldn't trust anything Afrihost said - double check. Just search this forum and you will see how splendidly useless they are at all things, with the possible exception of breathing.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I personally wouldn't trust anything Afrihost said - double check. Just search this forum and you will see how splendidly useless they are at all things, with the possible exception of breathing.
The reason why I went with them was because the offered a 100GB + 100GB special only to find out that it was just a promotion and therefore, no extra 100GB after that. So now I am looking for options as stated above.

AdisgruntledFrench

I'll ask the manager of the compound over the weekend.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
The reason why I went with them was because the offered a 100GB + 100GB special only to find out that it was just a promotion and therefore, no extra 100GB after that. So now I am looking for options as stated above.
Yea that makes sense. Check the Cool Ideas special I posted, haven't seen a better deal.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Coverage map means nothing. Whether everything is connected and ready to go is another thing.

TheSlinger

I'm waiting for scheduling to happen in my area. But found this out the long way:

Vuma - check your order is complete so that we can begin your scheduling.
ISP - yes, we just need your object ID and you're good to go. Vuma must go ahead and do the install.
Vuma - Oh, scheduling hasn't started in your area.

Me - Rain Spend Limit 100%