Foreigner needing guidance before going mad.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Hi everyone!

Just looking for advice here as I'm... lost and frustrated. Hoping this is the right section for this thread.

So, where to start.

You can see in my nick where I'm from. Not that it matters that much really. But I'm increasingly frustrated by the fact that getting something as simple as internet access for our house (moved there in September) has been a nightmare. Currently staying in Joburg.

So, asked for fibre with vodacom, as my area and street are supposedly covered.
Six weeks later, I had to cancel our request as they were yet to do the credit vetting. One would think they were responsive whenever I showed up to enquire about progress... they were not.

Tried Afrihost. Very reactive, I was impressed! But they cancelled 24 hours after I picked up the modem from them, saying my area is not covered by fibre (while their website and vuma claim it is). They offered an LTE plan instead, not interested.

Then applied with Vox. Very reactive as well, and helpful. Then complete silence for almost two months. Received a call yesterday to inform me that my area is not covered by fibre. Why they wouldn't tell me earlier, I don't exactly know.

So anyway. I'm left without internet at home. Frustrating, as this means I sometimes have to go to the office on weekends to answer urgent requests. And it's a pain in the a**.

So... I finally got the message. I need to pursue people for answers and not expect them to inform me. Apparently they don't need my money.

So, after four months without internet... I'm looking for the fastest way to get internet at home.

I've looked around, not sure what to go for.

What I need: uncapped and fast. Anything above 20 MBPS is acceptable (was dreaming of 100MPBS through fibre but not happening).

What solutions are there and which provider should I be looking at?
LTE would have been the easiest solution but are there any uncapped plans?
Other than that, I think I'll have to rely on good ol' DSL. How long would that take?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers
A disgruntled French
DM me your address. We'd be happy to check and see what's happening.

Cheers

A happy French, and owner of Web Squad.

krycor

Honorary Master
If you in an estate, ask the estate manager as often they have hooked up with a Fibre provider and most of Sunninghill/Paulshof/Woodmead has something in place or coming soon.

The great estate body corps sign up with multi isp solutions eg MFN, OpenServe, Vuma etc and the silly ones end up with GreenCom etc.

Also check the street outside for a Fibre manhole. If there is a DFA/Vuma/MFN one you might get lucky and just need Body Corp to agree on a Fibre strategy for estate. Then the time list post will be 3 months or less

AdisgruntledFrench

DM me your address. We'd be happy to check and see what's happening.

Cheers

A happy French, and owner of Web Squad.
Done, thx.
If you in an estate, ask the estate manager as often they have hooked up with a Fibre provider and most of Sunninghill/Paulshof/Woodmead has something in place or coming soon.

The great estate body corps sign up with multi isp solutions eg MFN, OpenServe, Vuma etc and the silly ones end up with GreenCom etc.

Also check the street outside for a Fibre manhole. If there is a DFA/Vuma/MFN one you might get lucky and just need Body Corp to agree on a Fibre strategy for estate. Then the time list post will be 3 months or less
Thanks for the explanation.
However, waiting another three months... Yeah, not sure I wanna go for that.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Get a Huawei router (B315/B525/B618) and a Cell C sim with 200gb of data for R2000. The data is valid for a year and you can top up at any time. If performance is poor add a poynting external antenna.. If everyone is saying fibre isn't ready, fibre isn't ready.

You specify you need uncapped, why?

As for over 20Mbps it's a lottery with LTE but B618 with external poynting antenna could get you well over 20Mbps.

AdisgruntledFrench

Get a Huawei router (B315/B525/B618) and a Cell C sim with 200gb of data for R2000. The data is valid for a year and you can top up at any time. If performance is poor add a poynting external antenna.. If everyone is saying fibre isn't ready, fibre isn't ready.

You specify you need uncapped, why?

As for over 20Mbps it's a lottery with LTE but B618 with external poynting antenna could get you well over 20Mbps.
Living in various countries before, I got used to not having to worry about data caps.

If for instance I wanted to reinstall my whole steam library (well over 100 games), it'd take a few TB.
Add Netflix on top of that, plus livestreaming of soccer and rugby from back home.

Maybe I'll give cell c a shot, thanks for the advice! :)

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yeah, okay, if you going to be doing any heavy lifting, capped LTE's accounts will bankrupt you fast! There's also Rain to consider. Not sure they still signing up new customers but they have LTE packages where they offer uncapped for R250 per month but between the hours of 23.01 and 17.59 daily... Performance varies heavily from region to region but they were offering free sims where you pay for what you use. Their rate R0.05 per mb or R50 per gig but you could trial it and see if it fulfills your criteria.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Living in various countries before, I got used to not having to worry about data caps.

If for instance I wanted to reinstall my whole steam library (well over 100 games), it'd take a few TB.
Add Netflix on top of that, plus live streaming of soccer and rugby from back home.

Maybe I'll give cell c a shot, thanks for the advice! :)
Interesting
In this country -- when one obtains service -- the normal kind one expects -- it is a case of popping open the champagne.
Please report back what you managed to achieve and who you eventually landed up with -- what deal and how much
I am also presently fighting for fibre

AdisgruntledFrench

Here I am for the report back.

Gave up on fibre in the end, wife really needed access to the interwebs for work reasons.
So went for Afrihost 200GB thing with CellC.
Ordered in the morning, had the modem and sim card an hour later (their offices are close to mine).

And now I'm wondering whether it's possible to switch to ADSL, from this offer. 200GB is clearly not enough. I got a fright when GTA V started updating automatically on the PS4: 25GB update haha!

I have to say though, 4G coverage in my area is great. Was downloading stuff at 5MB/s last night while it was raining outside.

But I really wish they had an uncapped offer, I'd pay twice or three times the price just for that :(

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
But I really wish they had an uncapped offer, I'd pay twice or three times the price just for that :(
I think that the only ones that offer unlimited are TELKOM ?
and
Possibly ONLY on CONTRACT ?

Good luck with that one -- especially when the tower you connect to becomes oversubscribed and you only get -- dial-up speeds
and
You try and cancel your Telkom contract

Vive la résistance!