Free cellphone numbers

damian24

I don't see how this is a viable endevour, we already have one of the highest market penetrations in the world for cellphones and now the attempt to see a voicemail box, anyone remember Telkom Voicelink, all but non-existant... anyone remember pagers, went the same way... people need instant communications these days not a voicemail box.

D

TJStylus

Its funny how with all that is going on in this country(violence, politics and exchange etc) you still get initiatives like this which, granted is for making a profit and all and all and all that, is quite proactive.
With all the flak that capitalism gets, there seems to be more evidence of constructiveness from these ventures then any of these half-ass bickerings about equality and re-appropriations that communist mind-sets that Cosatu seems to have. They have benifited how many ppl so far?

I like it when someone plays it smart. Don't know how well this will work but its appreciated.

Hats off!

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Not a bad concept but with cellphones so cheap these days (and sim cards basically free, with free voicemail retrieval) I'm not sure how much of a market there'll be?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
a billionaire thanks to her years as a vice president at MTN

You mean thanks to the years that MTN have been ripping people off!

Tux

Software Communist
Yet more proof of how out of touch upper management can get with reality.

Somebody should drag her by the short and curlies through the streets to meet the actual clients...

Rabbit7766

Not a bad concept but with cellphones so cheap these days (and sim cards basically free, with free voicemail retrieval) I'm not sure how much of a market there'll be?
---
about 100 million people in africa who earn below $2 per day. i'd say thats a fair market.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Free sim cards will ensure that more cell phones will get stolen. What a sh.t idea.
Sim cards are R1.99 and R2.99 at P&P, which is a giveaway anyway.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
its all about economies of scale...

Which is hard to implement when you have to have physical kiosks that are easily accessible etc. People living on less than $2 a day don't have much disposable income.

Phenom

Expert Member
did i misread something, cellphone numbers already only cost R2 @ pnp who can't afford that?

TJStylus

Free sim cards will ensure that more cell phones will get stolen. What a sh.t idea.
Sim cards are R1.99 and R2.99 at P&P, which is a giveaway anyway.

I think the whole point is a more effective means of achieving two-way communication without ever needing to own a phone no matter where you are.

Given that you have to know someone who owns a cellphone(imagine being rural) for the cheap sim-cards or you have to buy one those Nokia 5110s going for like 50 bucks but up against the full R200 price you're gonna be paying for the sim-card, It could prove quite novel. Its not really aimed at the urbanites. I think their whole aim is rural areas

oss321

Existing operators charge a premium price due to insufficient competition in the market and high cost structures.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Existing operators charge a premium price due to insufficient competition in the market and high cost structures.

They have to use the existing operators though so the question remains.

oss321

Not for OnNet calling, it will be possible for the operator with an ECNS licence to build its own network and offer the service. Well for OffNet, interconnect agreements can be negotiated.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Not for OnNet calling, it will be possible for the operator with an ECNS licence to build its own network and offer the service. Well for OffNet, interconnect agreements can be negotiated.

They haven't built their own network though so clearly they must be using the cell networks.