Free / Cheap Dynamic DNS Hosting?

Nocturne

Hi, All

I currently have four domains hosted at www.everydns.net. Their IP addresses get updated dynamically every time my server's IP address changes (am using a USB ADSL modem running on a Windows server).

I see that everydns services will be stopping in 86 days' time, as they have been bought by DynDNS. The problem is, DynDNS is not free if you have your own domain name, and near as I can tell, they charge $29.95 per year PER DOMAIN! I'd be willing to pay that for all four of my domains, but since I don't make any money off any of them, paying that per domain is a bit steep... unless I'm misunderstanding their pricing?

Can anyone recommend a service I can use to host my domains off of and give me dynamic DNS updating? Preferably this would be something that I could update my DNS from an Ethernet modem, because the USB one sucks and everydns was thus far the only reason why I had not gone and bought myself an ethernet one. ;)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Nocturne

Nocturne

Erm, I already said DynDNS isn't an option as I'm not prepared to pay $29.95 per year per domain. Unless I read the pricing wrong and it's actually $29.95 per year for unlimited domains. ;)

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Free option being use their own dyndns.org addresses and a cname that points from servername.domain.co.za to servername.dyndns.org

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
I do it in a pinch to prevent my Mail deliveries from dying hellishly if there's a Fixed IP buggerup and a site has to swop to dynamic

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I'm also in the same boat. With everydns and looking to move now, but not to DynDNS - their prices are nuts.

Anyone using freedns.afraid.org? Had any problems?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Son of a....! :mad: Wondered why I'm not getting any mail. Definately time to move!

DDOS AGAINST EVERYDNS
THU, 30 JUN 2011 1818 UTC
As of approximately 1725 UTC, we are currently experiencing a distributed denial of service attack against EveryDNS nameservers. All other services are operating normally, but users might experience increased latency while querying these nameservers.

Update: As of 2050 UTC, this attack is persisting.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I've moved all my stuff to freedns.afraid.org

So far so good. No problems at all. They support all the usual - dynamic dns, txt/mx/cname etc etc.

Tinuva

The Magician
I use a mixture of freedns.afraid.org and the 5 (now 4 cuz I deleted 1 by mistake) free domains on zoneedit.

My adsl router at home (mikrotik) uses freedns.afraid.org to update DNS to itself (heaven.za.net, except there is a power outage in my area atm). Never had a problem with that.

My website (which I haven't updated in ages) uses zoneedit, restricted.co.za.

I've never really had outages on those 2, except I remember email forwarding been down a few times on my ipv6.za.org which is one of my main email domains.

Nocturne

Signed up for afraid.freedns.org - trying to add mx records for my domain, but it only lets me point to a fixed list of hosts, in a dropdown (and they aren't mine). I can't type my own in there. :(

Nocturne

Nevermind! Had to go to my preferences and make sure my own domain was visible in the dropdown. I think it's gonna work for me! :)

mh348

Expert Member
I know this thread is a few months old, but for anyone that used edit/every dns...

If you havent deleted your domains from edit/everydns I suggest you try and migrate it to dyndns.. The migration costs $4.95 and you can keep your existing domains on dyn for free.. You can also use it for creating dynamic dns hostnames using the domains in your account.. I had accounts with both everydns and edit dns and transferred all my domains over..

Only thing is I cant cant add new domains, but for my existing domains it works well.

shar0119

You can get free dynamic DNS service at www.dynu.com

They offer 100% free dynamic DNS for both third level(*.domain.com) as well as top level(domain.com)

Pier

Signed up for afraid.freedns.org - trying to add mx records for my domain, but it only lets me point to a fixed list of hosts, in a dropdown (and they aren't mine). I can't type my own in there. :(
I have been using dynu.com. They allow you to add different hosts. Also free and stable. I have been using them for 1 year or so and I am really satisfied. Even though it is a free service they offer support through email etc.

eCliPSe

Hi, All

I currently have four domains hosted at www.everydns.net. Their IP addresses get updated dynamically every time my server's IP address changes (am using a USB ADSL modem running on a Windows server).

I see that everydns services will be stopping in 86 days' time, as they have been bought by DynDNS. The problem is, DynDNS is not free if you have your own domain name, and near as I can tell, they charge $29.95 per year PER DOMAIN! I'd be willing to pay that for all four of my domains, but since I don't make any money off any of them, paying that per domain is a bit steep... unless I'm misunderstanding their pricing?

Can anyone recommend a service I can use to host my domains off of and give me dynamic DNS updating? Preferably this would be something that I could update my DNS from an Ethernet modem, because the USB one sucks and everydns was thus far the only reason why I had not gone and bought myself an ethernet one. ;)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Nocturne

http://www.noip.com/