Free open source books

guest2013-1

Isn't books open source? I mean, you open them... and read them. It's not like it's encrypted or compiled...ah you mean the topic of the books are open source and they're freely available to download... silly me... :)

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
more stuff: the entire OpenOffice manual is available for free (free-beer) from their web site openoffice.org

Imminent

Ubuntu pocket guide and reference

I downloaded and printed this little book. It reads quite difficult. Its not an encompassing book at all.. its just an installation manual for Ubuntu, I'd say rather download a book like Ubuntu Bible 1000pages + and is written and edited to make it an enjoyable experience, ive discovered these free books are a pain in the ass to read.

megomars

Yeah, Lawrence Lessig has several of his books available under creative commons licenses. Available at http://lessig.org/. All of them are well worth reading if you are into online content ownership models and new media.

Deep78

Expert Member
Why is it that almost every book on that list is centred around Ubuntu? Are there no other flavours that have compelling manuals errr stories to tell?

K3NS31

Expert Member
You didn't mention "In the Beginning was the Command Line" aka Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson

OK, more of an essay really, but a very interesting read, it goes into the history of computers, software and how the free software philosophy came about.
Available here:
http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html

newboon2age

Ubuntu pocket guide and reference
ive discovered these free books are a pain in the ass to read.
I'm not sure if you're not liking the .pdf format, but if so you might like Calibre, the 'e book manager' which also has a built-in e-book reader. You can take a .pdf and change the format and read it with a nice e-reader screen.