Free to Use Routers

raesteyn

Hi chaps, I keep seeing *Free to use WIFI router next to the fibre offerings going around... first spotted it with the LTE options but never paid much attention (LTE was slower than my 8mb adsl).

What I cannot find is clarity on what this means, for example:
- Is it yours after 12/24 months;
- Do you have full access to its configuration etc;
- Are you indefinitely liable to pay back the money on cancellation;
- Is it replaced when things go wrong;

Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with these routers?

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Its best to contact the individual ISP as it varies wildly.

E.g. (open to correction)

Home connect (and I think Vox) locks down the router config.

Web Africa requires you to return the router or pay for it irrespective of time. Can alter config.

With Rocketnet the router is yours after 6 months. Can alter config.

Nithan15

Expert Member
Its best to contact the individual ISP as it varies wildly.

E.g. (open to correction)

Home connect (and I think Vox) locks down the router config.

Web Africa requires you to return the router or pay for it irrespective of time. Can alter config.

With Rocketnet the router is yours after 6 months. Can alter config.

These clowns are the worse I returned the router and they still trying to bill me for the Router after cancellation of service

MEIOT

Expert Member
These routers are part of the monthly prices - costs bundled in and recouped that way. After the initial term the routers automatically become yours - factory reset and do your own thing if you so desire. Your monthly pricing would be reduced by an amount when term is reached

newby_investor

Expert Member
Atomic Access who I signed up with offered to sell me a router, I believe, but I declined as I already had my own. Prefer it that way.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
They are labelled Free to Use because they are generally the cheapest routers possible due to profit margins.

If you want a better router, you can fork out for it.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Yes they sent me an invoice with zero balances and the next day they debit the credit card account for the Router again. Seems like this is going to be an endless circle.
I think they have (bad) processed that happen automatically. Like I logged a support ticket before my service ended, telling them not to debit my account, their support agent confirmed it wont happen. They still debited my account. Just ended up logging another ticket with my proof that I returned my router and they refunded me.

Nithan15

Expert Member
I think they have (bad) processed that happen automatically. Like I logged a support ticket before my service ended, telling them not to debit my account, their support agent confirmed it wont happen. They still debited my account. Just ended up logging another ticket with my proof that I returned my router and they refunded me.
Until they debit you the next again and its back to square one

Nithan15

Expert Member
I am signing up with VOX fibre and apparently they will give you a modem to use I guess its gonna be a cheapie. well I am gonna plug it to my network switch for all my LAN connected devices and run a cable to my TP Link via WAN to run wifi

Henry_S

I am signing up with VOX fibre and apparently they will give you a modem to use I guess its gonna be a cheapie. well I am gonna plug it to my network switch for all my LAN connected devices and run a cable to my TP Link via WAN to run wifi
You don't need to use their one at all. My Vox router is in a drawer. Just connect your TP Link directly to the ONT/CPE.

Nithan15

Expert Member
You don't need to use their one at all. My Vox router is in a drawer. Just connect your TP Link directly to the ONT/CPE.
THey haven't given me any details regarding my account as yet, I am just told someone will come through and configure it , make sure everything works fine then leave. Did they happen to you as well? When I signed up with CISP at my old place never had to do that.

Henry_S

THey haven't given me any details regarding my account as yet, I am just told someone will come through and configure it , make sure everything works fine then leave. Did they happen to you as well? When I signed up with CISP at my old place never had to do that.
Yes, that's exactly how it worked. It isn't really necessary if you are going to use your own router though. If it's not a DHCP connection, then you can get your user name and password online from your Vox services details page.

After a few months of using their router, I unplugged it and plugged in my new router and it just connected and worked.