FTTH Linden - Vumatel breaking ground today

SwaziSeedless

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Hey SwaziSeedless--do we have an update to this work?

Who are the ISP for Linden? which ones would you recommend?

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
So naturally, if Vumatel in Linden lays down the fibre, and Fiberhoods is laying down in another suburb, I can't benefit from fiberhoods pricing; I am stuck with Vumatel affiliated ISP, which higher pricing structures? Am I misled to believe this?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So naturally, if Vumatel in Linden lays down the fibre, and Fiberhoods is laying down in another suburb, I can't benefit from fiberhoods pricing; I am stuck with Vumatel affiliated ISP, which higher pricing structures? Am I misled to believe this?

You are correct.

Bear in mind though that the Vumatel product is different to the Fibrehoods product in a number of ways, not limited to the fact the Vuma is active ethernet (1gbps) and Fibrehoods is GPON (shared, limited to 100mbps at the moment)

DERoestorf

That is correct. There are reasons for the difference in pricing however. the major ones are:
Vumatel does trenching. Fibrehoods does areal fibre.
Vuma use an AON infrastructure, where fibrehoods uses GPON

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Oh ok--so then, how did the fibre layers (V vs F) get assigned the suburbs? I am sure there must have a bid for each area--noting that some suburbs are higher LSM (income groups), and more likely to subscribe to Fibre (i.e. ISP will make their cut and profit easily) compared to suburbs that are low LSM.
Did the residents have anything to say about which offering (layers) they could choose based on a pricing structure/technology they use?
Interesting.

DERoestorf

Oh ok--so then, how did the fibre layers (V vs F) get assigned the suburbs? I am sure there must have a bid for each area--noting that some suburbs are higher LSM (income groups), and more likely to subscribe to Fibre (i.e. ISP will make their cut and profit easily) compared to suburbs that are low LSM.
Did the residents have anything to say about which offering (layers) they could choose based on a pricing structure/technology they use?
Interesting.

Yes, the community association was involved in Linden. I cannot speak for them so you have to ask your community association

I know in Blairgowrie, we went through an RFP process, then put it to the community to vote. We went for VUMA as it is better in the long run, and the aerial fibre does not look very good.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Oh ok, I see now. It all makes sense.

So which ISP would you recommend to supply the data service?

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
cool, any pricing structures for their packages?
I am on their website now, their offerings are obviously limited to their current geographic coverage--Linden or Blairgowrie not listed. using Greenside as a benchmark, the pricing is not bad at all.

DERoestorf

cool, any pricing structures for their packages?
I am on their website now, their offerings are obviously limited to their current geographic coverage--Linden or Blairgowrie not listed. using Greenside as a benchmark, the pricing is not bad at all.

When I asked them, they said the pricing in Blairgowrie will be similar to that in Parkhurst.

And from what I saw, greenside and parkhurst is the same. So expect that to be the pricing

andrewvr

If you have a look at the Vox website, they have their pricing for fibre and it is arranged by provider, so they have pricing for Telkom, Vumatel, Fibrehoods, etc (https://www.voxtelecom.co.za/ftth#vumatel).

What is interesting thought, is that they have Vumatel and Vumatel Parkhurst as separate sections. Parkhurst are paying R199 for a basic 4 Mbps and we (I am in Blairgowrie, with Vumatel) will be paying R499 for the same service.

Anyone know how Parkhurst managed to negotiate such a good price from their Internet providers?

SwaziSeedless

Pics of the progress

So far the rollout phase has been quite painless considering the scale of the job.
Trenching across driveways and pathways is unavoidable and Vumatel have been top notch when it comes to their communication.

Both sides of the street are tackled at the same time
20151029_071622_resized_3.jpg

The section in front of my house
20151029_071607_resized_3.jpg

Trench across the walkway to the wall mounted fibre box
20151029_071639_resized_3.jpg

The wall mounted fibre box before the fibre was spliced in
20151029_071654_resized_3.jpg

These pics were taken over a week ago and since then, Vumatel have finished on my street and have already repaired the paving on the driveway at most of the homes on the street.

I am honestly impressed with their professionalism and efficiency.

Last edited:

Disparagus

If you have a look at the Vox website, they have their pricing for fibre and it is arranged by provider, so they have pricing for Telkom, Vumatel, Fibrehoods, etc (https://www.voxtelecom.co.za/ftth#vumatel).

What is interesting thought, is that they have Vumatel and Vumatel Parkhurst as separate sections. Parkhurst are paying R199 for a basic 4 Mbps and we (I am in Blairgowrie, with Vumatel) will be paying R499 for the same service.

Anyone know how Parkhurst managed to negotiate such a good price from their Internet providers?

I remember reading at the time that Vumatel were essentially not charging for a 4Mb/s link to get as many people on board as possible and to make sure they won the business. Their rationale was that most people would go for a higher speed anyway which turned out to be right, apparently 50Mb/s is the most popular option. I may be mistaken but I also heard that the discounted pricing will end at some point.

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadband/103637-parkhurst-fibre-to-the-home-why-vumatel-won.html