hoegh

Expert Member
I think my girlfriends mom might have gallstones so I thought I would ask around, Anyone here ever had gallstones before? And if so how did they treat it? Last question, how much did the sugery cost?

adelp

Expert Member
oke im even more stupid than i thought. The green ones not the yellow ones...sorry..

Eina eina..

hoegh

Expert Member
oke im even more stupid than i thought. The green ones not the yellow ones...sorry..

Eina eina..

:confused:

from what i have gathered there are 2 different types of stones with the one being the most common.

Flanders

Honorary Master
My brother has had kidney stones. Judging from the look on his face at the time (both times actually) - not a pleasant experience.

Gall stones....sorry, don't have any experience there.

Gazer

Expert Member
My MIL had them and went for the surgery. I think it costs around R9000 a few yrs back. Apparently there's a natural way to get rid of them (something to do with olive oil and apple juice - google it).

adelp

Expert Member
Olive oil and apple juice mmmm that sounds yukkie!!! but if it work it works.....

hoegh

Expert Member
yeah, she drinks a lot of coffee, and she fits perfectly into the "bracket" of people most likely to get them.

on the natural way of getting rid of them, I have read(thanks google) that there are pills you can take which dissolve them but they can come back after like 5 years. They say sugery is the best option and thanks for the ball park figure Gazer.

Needed a rough idea of the cost cause she isn't on medical aid //shakes head

adelp

Expert Member
Good luck, maybe she should try the natural way then join a medical then hve them removed?

hoegh

Expert Member
problem is that you pay big penalties depending on how old you are and how long you have been off medical aid, and she is fairly old and hasn't been on med aid for a while now. who knows what the best method is but I suppose a plan has gotta be made.

adelp

Expert Member
I joined Discovery age 29 no penalties.
But i joined under my boyfriend not on my own.

hoegh

Expert Member
yeah, she is heading towards retirement age so it is a bit different, but its interesting you say that cause I am looking to get my gf onto my medical aid asap and we thought there might be penalties but obviously not (its also discovery)

Can I ask, how difficult was it? And could you also subscribe to vitality?

adelp

Expert Member
Jip i'm a vitality member and joined Virgin active to on that lifetime contract.
And for oll the girly tests i earn points.

And it took 2 days and i was covered. They just wanted my id number. I was workless, no otehr details were needed.

Gazer

Expert Member
Personally I would first try to flush the stones out with olive oil and lemon juice possibly on a regular basis. In some parts of Asia it would appear that doctors and hospitals even recommend this approach before surgery.
http://www.healthwisdom.org/amrit/pg39.htm
http://happyhomemaker88.wordpress.com/2008/10/14/natural-method-of-removing-gallstones/
http://journals.worldnomads.com/thedukeoearl/post/5962.aspx

Those are the type of natural remedies I was referring to. I'm not sure how easy it is to chug oil like that though :sick:

Hot_Chocolate

Expert Member
my mom had gallstones long time ago. she drank apple cider vinegar and some oil mixture as well as some pills. It did help, but she was literally sh1tting gallstones for 2 or 3 days.

I had also had the same prob just over 2 years ago. It was hell. The pain was very intense, doesn't matter in which position I was. (For me to say that you can believe it was intense...I had to ceasareans and never experienced pain. Hardly took pain killers as well, and couldn't wait to be up and about.)

I had to go for 2 ops: first was to enlarge the tube from the gall bladder to intestines so the gall stones could pass more freely. The second about 2 weeks later to have my gallbladder removed. After my op I was very sick and vomiting gall the rest of the day. Doctor was baffled by this, as it is not supposed to happen.

I do not drink coffee. Only had a taste of it a long, long LONG time ago and decided I do not like the taste (especially the aftertaste). But now I have to be very careful about what I eat. Even the slightest amount of fat (full cream milk, cream, ice-cream, chocolates, red meat, food fried in oil or butter etc) makes my liver hurt. So basically, I had to change my diet as well.

Can't remember what it cost, medical aid paid everything.

Last edited:

hoegh

Expert Member
thanks for all of the above, the scans yesterday confirmed it is definitly gallstones which explains a lot of her mysterious illness and pains which is a bit of a relief. its amazing what you can learn via the forums and interwebz. we just gotta wait and see what the doctor says. I have a feeling she is going to get put on the pills first to see if that helps, if it doesn't help then i reckon they'll remove the gallbladder. only thing is that she doesn't have the cash floating around to pay for this but a plan must be made.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Had to have my gall bladder out a few years back. Gallstone got stuck in it.

The first doctor misdiagnosed it as a sprained muscle i.e. pain in my side. Pain came on and off over 6 months. Second doctor diagnosed it right.

Bloody sore :(

Operation and stay in hospital = R14 000

hoegh

Expert Member
Had to have my gall bladder out a few years back. Gallstone got stuck in it.

The first doctor misdiagnosed it as a sprained muscle i.e. pain in my side. Pain came on and off over 6 months. Second doctor diagnosed it right.

Bloody sore :(

Operation and stay in hospital = R14 000

shot with the price there, i am sure its probably gone up but at least its a good, fairly accurate figure.

ja, she has been for so many tests and we actually started to think it was all in her head, and its a relief to at least know what the problem is, and judging by all the responses its sounds bloody sore!