Gaming PC advice

SHL

If you go AMD you can put together a base Ryzen 3X00 system for 10k and slam in a Ryzen 5X00 CPU and a better GPU later down the line. That's assuming that you could actually get the parts for the base system at a reasonable price...
That's the problem with PC.

zolly

Expert Member
That's the problem with PC.

At the moment yes, but this will correct with time. Also, it's not like you can buy a PS5 right now either (you must either wait for stock at end of June or pay marked up prices which are more expensive than a low-end gaming PC), and who wants an Xbox?

Besides, if someone comes in asking for car recommendations you don't go and tell them to buy a motorbike.

zolly

Expert Member
You're playing in a false economy. Rather save up and buy the PC you want. You'll be throwing money away by upgrading just about everything along the way. You will get peanuts for the parts you replace. Why even bother? The PS5 needs no upgrades if you're buying it for games, it's designed for them. Anyway, it's your 10k not mine. I'd not bother building a new PC for under R20k

Even taking the current market into account, if the guy wants a pc, let him buy a pc as he can afford it. When I was a student I put together my PC in bits and pieces simply because that's all I could afford for PC (not console) gaming. If I wanted to play console games I could have probably gotten one quicker, but I didn't want to play console games.

SHL

At the moment yes, but this will correct with time. Also, it's not like you can buy a PS5 right now either (you must either wait for stock at end of June or pay marked up prices which are more expensive than a low-end gaming PC), and who wants an Xbox?

Besides, if someone comes in asking for car recommendations you don't go and tell them to buy a motorbike.
Here you go:

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Here you go:

Scalpers se masep.

Faux_Grey

Without dropping 10K on a mid-range GPU, this is probably the best you are going to get:
Fortunately, the AMD cpu here is an 8c/16t so will last down the line when you eventually are able to throw in a well-priced 3060

The 4750G integrated graphics arent the best, but will delivery playable results if you're willing to turn down the settings a bit.

1622221964141.png

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Without dropping 10K on a mid-range GPU, this is probably the best you are going to get:
Fortunately, the AMD cpu here is an 8c/16t so will last down the line when you eventually are able to throw in a well-priced 3060

The 4750G integrated graphics arent the best, but will delivery playable results if you're willing to turn down the settings a bit.

View attachment 1079343
That cpu come with a cooler ? had a look on woot and it doesnt say.

Markd

Expert Member
The reason I wont get an Xbox or Playstation is that there isn't any upgrade path

There doesn't need to be an upgrade path. The system is going to offer optimised gaming performance probably for 5-7 years!

I was in the same boat as you, with an older gaming PC (i5 7th gen, GTX 1060) that needs an upgrade and to get something that will last AS LONG on PC, we're looking at +-R11k for a graphics card PLUS a new CPU (R4-6k). So I'm looking at R17k for an UPGRADE which is already almost double your relatively tiny budget. THEN - you have to deal with issues like driver compatibility on games, sorting out crashes etc. If you need a motherboard and RAM as well (16GB) then you're just not going to get the value you are after, especially if you don't want to compromise on the kind.

I bought an XBOX Series X for R12k. I got GamePass. I'm really happy.

If you try to get some PC components for R10k you'll be back here in a couple of years looking to spend another R10-20k on your upgrade path, when you could just be jamming on console....the choice is clear.

Last edited:

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Ahh my bad about the cooler. Only another R400 or so for a cooler.

The problem with waiting on the 5700G is that by the time they come out they are going to be so insanely expensive that nobody will be able to afford one. We at the end of month 5 this year. The 30 series cards have been out now for 8 months or so and the prices on them have doubled in that time. CPU prices, while not quite that bad have also done a nice upward swing.

Faux_Grey

That cpu come with a cooler ? had a look on woot and it doesnt say.
It does not, sorry!
Plenty of low end AM4 coolers on takealot for 200 rand, but if you've got the extra budget, get a nice phanteks one would be dope.

I have the below Phanteks TC12DX and I run it passively on my old i7 4790k, and it runs one of my older Ryzen 1700Xs very very cool.

'budget'

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Unless you really really really really need it right now, wait for the chip shortage madness to end before you buy anything.

I had a look and GPU prices doubled from when I looked in Dec. Absolute madness.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Most of the tech companies are saying maybe the middle of next year for the shortages to be resolved. My 8 year old Dell is going to have to struggle along a bit longer