George Floyd death

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
This is the actual letter
We encourage any students with mitigating circumstances to apply to have those taken into account.

Any student taking University assessments who feels their performance has been affected should submit a self-assessment mitigating circumstances form after their final examination or assessment. This is available to all students on the Proctors' website.
Edit: It seems the letter covers a range of issues, all revolving around the killing. This is the part quoted
The heads of house signatories of this letter will alert college tutors, senior tutors, tutors for graduates and welfare staff to the potential need here, and will urge those colleagues to reach out to any Black students who may be experiencing difficulty at this time.

This is a matter for individual discussions between students and their tutors. We urge any undergraduate who is feeling the strain to contact their tutors/senior tutor/welfare supporter as soon as possible, and likewise any graduate student to contact their supervisor/college tutor for graduates/college welfare team

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
Is there an echo in here?

Yeah I'm echoing Buka's question which you didn't answer. I take it your answer is no? Well fckit then, that's stupid.

You know someone should invent some kind of public institution that will take statues and other monuments of historical significance, no matter how repugnant, and preserve them for people who want to learn about history. That would solve all our disputes, don't you think?

buka001

Honorary Master
And you just manage to keep going even lower. Unsurprising.

I am sure they destroyed many historical things that didn't fit their ideological views. My opinion works both ways. Can you imagine!?
Your point does not add up.

So you want statues of the past to remain in place due to their historical significance in teaching people about the past, but don't want any statues to be built going forward?

So how are future generations going to appreciate current events without statues in place?

EADC

Executive Member
Nope, you share the same intolerant traits of things you don't approve of but you won't see it like that because you also think your way is the righteous way.

Oh please get off your high horse you know statues are mostly BS and hold no historical significance to anything but a vanity project. Look at the dutchman look at the ANC all vanity BS.

Do we need Victoria no, do we need Paul Kruger no, do we need statues of Madiba no it's all garbage vanity.

Emjay

Honorary Master
Yeah I'm echoing Buka's question which you didn't answer. I take it your answer is no? Well fckit then, that's stupid.

I did say they can be relocated. You even quoted my post where I said that. Are you really this triggered that you are going to abandon logic? I don't feel the need to respond to Buka as he does not discuss anything in good faith.

You know what was the most shocking thing about the Nazis? How easily everyone around them bowed to their ideology and let them systematically kill millions of people. Even aided them, reported their neighbours, etc.

We need to be reminded how easily tyranny takes over. If a person cannot look at a statue and not understand its context and history, we really are doomed to repeat mistakes of the past.

And, you raised a good question. After some thought, my opinion has changed. No, I am not against anyone raising any statue they want to, provided it's on their own property. Even if it offends me. They are free to express their views, no matter how stupid or vile. I am not going to impose my will on anyone. There is nothing stopping me from discussing it with anyone else however, public-ally not supporting it, or refusing to transact with that establishment.

And, imagine someone pulling down a statue of the Nazis during WW2? No one would because they would be hunted down and killed. Their families would have suffered the same fate. Here, these delinquents will not suffer any consequences. The irony is astonishing. Yet, they will not realize this. And, while I do not support them being torn down, I can acknowledge that these are relics of the past and racism in the USA is nothing like it was in the past.

buka001

Honorary Master
I did say they can be relocated. You even quoted my post where I said that. Are you really this triggered that you are going to abandon logic? I don't feel the need to respond to Buka as he does not discuss anything in good faith.

You know what was the most shocking thing about the Nazis? How easily everyone around them bowed to their ideology and let them systematically kill millions of people. Even aided them, reported their neighbours, etc.

We need to be reminded how easily tyranny takes over. If a person cannot look at a statue and not understand its context and history, we really are doomed to repeat mistakes of the past.

And, you raised a good question. After some thought, my opinion has changed. No, I am not against anyone raising any statue they want to, provided it's on their own property. Even if it offends me. They are free to express their views, no matter how stupid or vile. I am not going to impose my will on anyone. There is nothing stopping me from discussing it with anyone else however, public-ally not supporting it, or refusing to transact with that establishment.

And, imagine someone pulling down a statue of the Nazis during WW2? No one would because they would be hunted down and killed. Their families would have suffered the same fate. Here, these delinquents will not suffer any consequences. The irony is astonishing. Yet, they will not realize this. And, while I do not support them being torn down, I can acknowledge that these are relics of the past and racism in the USA is nothing like it was in the past.
Good faith, from someone who has posted tweets from a white nationalist, a debunked claim of poisoning, and a strawmanned revision of the actual Oxford University letter.

The same person who days ago claimed all the violence in the protests was only the left, told me I was making up conspiracy theories about possible right wing involvement as well only to be shown a day later, that actual right wing groups were involved, such as the KKK, had been creating fake Antifa accounts and right wing groups were carrying out actual violence and were being arrested for it.

I cannot apologise for the fact that your feelings in what you wanted the narrative to be fell down. It is, what it is.

Emjay

Honorary Master
Good faith, from someone who has posted tweets from a white nationalist, a debunked claim of poisoning, and a strawmanned revision of the actual Oxford University letter.

The same person who days ago claimed all the violence in the protests was only the left, told me I was making up conspiracy theories about possible right wing involvement as well only to be shown a day later, that actual right wing groups were involved, such as the KKK, had been creating fake Antifa accounts and right wing groups were carrying out actual violence and were being arrested for it.

I cannot apologise for the fact that your feelings in what you wanted the narrative to be fell down. It is, what it is.

Giving people "lenience" on the back of George Floyd's death is pathetic, laughable and really entrenching victim-hood.

Creating fake Twitter accounts is not proof of violence being committed.

Katharine Birbalsingh is a white nationalist? Ok, then.

No narrative fell down, Buka. Yes, I am comfortable to admit there is proof of far Right extremists getting involved. Are you comfortable to admit the majority of looting and violence was done by left extremists in Democratic cities?

cerebus

Honorary Master
I did say they can be relocated. You even quoted my post where I said that.

Ok I didn't see that. But what's the difference between tearing down a statue and relocating it? The whole problem IS the location, and the statements that location makes. Generally statues are a way of reinforcing patriotic standards by memorializing individuals who represented the best ideals of the people. In cases where they are meant to be negative representations, as with Picasso's Guernica, the art should also be clearly representational of its message, and not simply some repurposing of art that was clearly meant for a whole other purpose.

I don't feel the need to respond to Buka as he does not discuss anything in good faith.

Baloney

More shocking than the whole mass genocide thing?

It's incredible how adamantly you took the most extreme position on this. Alright let's respond with a most extreme example: should a slave tear down the statue of their former owners, or should they be forced to live with them because it's a reminder of something awful?

Emjay

Honorary Master
More shocking than the whole mass genocide thing?

You are doing exactly what Buka did. But that's just baloney, right?

It's incredible how adamantly you took the most extreme position on this. Alright let's respond with a most extreme example: should a slave tear down the statue of their former owners, or should they be forced to live with them because it's a reminder of something awful?

This is not an extreme position. It's the exact same position I have on freedom of expression.

Which slaves are forced to live with their slave-masters statues?

cerebus

Honorary Master
You are doing exactly what Buka did. But that's just baloney, right?

What did buka do to you?

This is not an extreme position. It's the exact same position I have on freedom of expression.

Which slaves are forced to live with their slave-masters statues?

It's a hypothetical case isn't it.

azbob

Honorary Master

One of top 2 unis in the UK....pathetic. If George Floyd's death affected you in the UK then you need harden the f**k up.

1) It didn’t say “black students”. It said any students affected. Only people like you would think that George Floyd’s death only affected black people.

2) You’re much further away and his death seems to have gotten you quite worked up.

cerebus

Honorary Master
When that situation arises, let's discuss it then, ok?

You said this:

No, I am not against anyone raising any statue they want to, provided it's on their own property. Even if it offends me. They are free to express their views, no matter how stupid or vile. I am not going to impose my will on anyone.

It seems like a fairly absolutist stance, so I'm asking how absolute you are in practice. Actually the current situation isn't a million miles removed, it just happens to be the descendants of slaves who want to tear the statues down, not the direct slaves.

access

Honorary Master
Martin Luther King Jr was routinely called a communist/marxist to denounce his work during the Civil rights era.

It is the go to slur of intellectually bankrupt agitators who have run out of an argument.

did he lie about events and ignore information to suit his agenda?

Which movement was a farce? Boudicia sent the Romans packing, leading to the foundation of England as we have now. How is that a farce?

The end of communism saw the end of Stalin statues. Was the end of communism a farce?

The expulsion of the English from America, saw the birth of American Independence. Is that a farce?

the movement today, this blm farce. keep up, are you retarded?

I'm sure the Levin fans said the same thing at the time those statues came down. Same with the King George fans. Etv

You're on the wrong side of history here bud and you're butthurt because your race and group identity is waning in power and importance. Shem.

what i do is of importance, not what box you put me in.

you guys suck at comprehension or just twist it to suit your self proclaimed moment of fake glory. one can see why your types support all the bullshit. so desperate.

hey muppets heres a truth for you, your great grandparents would be called racist today for the way they spoke and thought in their era, your homes and accomplishments should be demolished because it has progressed of off them.

Emjay

Honorary Master
You said this:

It seems like a fairly absolutist stance, so I'm asking how absolute you are in practice. Actually the current situation isn't a million miles removed, it just happens to be the descendants of slaves who want to tear the statues down, not the direct slaves.

We are all descendants of some victims or another. I don't feel the need to go and rip down British statues.

Emjay

Honorary Master
And the slaves? Do they have that right?

Do I have the right to go tear down statues of Mandela because he committed terrorist acts?

What if I am a descendant of one of the people he killed?

Status
Not open for further replies.