Good Book?

Handz

Hey guys

Im not sure if this is the right section so if it isnt please excuse me and move my ass ova to where it should be :)

Anyway, back on topic...

Im looking to get hold of some books. Nothing specific but i would like to get some adventure/lord of the rings style books. You know, that knight in shining armour fighting trolls and mystical monsters sorta thing. That old cliché.

Now im sure you guys can recommend some for me here. Im just keen on starting a collection...and yes im gona read them.

Thanks in advance

oh and is kalahari.net best place to shop for books?

Handz

I just recetly formatted so i dont really have anything on this pc anymore. Ill try get it tomorrow after work. Gona work till like 3am though, ahh the life of a barman...its great

RichardG

Honorary Master
I just recetly formatted so i dont really have anything on this pc anymore. Ill try get it tomorrow after work. Gona work till like 3am though, ahh the life of a barman...its great
Is the money good being a barman?

Handz

Yeah its pretty decent.

Its not a permanent thing but its paying the bills...and the party funds :D

We got some local band playing this weekend so should make alot of tips. No big name bands but will still be really full.

RichardG

Honorary Master
Well yeah I'd never be barman ever in my life, in the process of opening my own night club, but still have to do a lot of research on what do people really want in a night club....

My female friend opened a night club, and yeah she is stuck with the marketing etc......
I hope it is a success..

I'll join you :)

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Im looking to get hold of some books. Nothing specific but i would like to get some adventure/lord of the rings style books. You know, that knight in shining armour fighting trolls and mystical monsters sorta thing. That old cliché.
I like the Dune series (Frank Herbert). No mystical monsters involved though. Sci-fi kind thing.

Handz

Im in the PE area so thats a little far.

Anyway, im gona go watch ghost hunters on youtube then i recon im gona try sleep again...nothing like trying to sleep while crapping my pants :D

im gona carry on book hunting while youtube loads....eish soo slow

Chat again sometime :)

Asha'man X

Expert Member
Wheel of Time series, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, David Eddings novels, The Lighstone series by David Zindell, Robin Hobb's books, the list goes on.

Unfortunately, I'm an avid reader, and I've foud that some of these books actually keep me awake at night as I continue reading them rather than letting me sleep lol.

flarkit

Executive Member
Start with these fantasy series!

1) Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. That is, if you can stomach a story being stretched across 7 or 8 books.

2) Robin Hobb's "Farseer Trilogy" series and it's follow-up "Tawny Man" trilogy.

Some excellent reading
:D

Devill

Damned
Hey guys

Im not sure if this is the right section so if it isnt please excuse me and move my ass ova to where it should be :)

Anyway, back on topic...

Now im sure you guys can recommend some for me here. Im just keen on starting a collection...and yes im gona read them.

Thanks in advance

oh and is kalahari.net best place to shop for books?
Two leaders in the Fantasy Market is David Gemmel, i have read all his books and they are really great...

Then there is Raymond E Feist that writes on a global scale and his work is Also really great.....

Frank herbert's Dune series is awesome but it isnt light reading.

Robert jordan is way to slow for me.....

RA Salvator is also pretty good

I have read over 100 fantasy(no not the naughty kind:p) books and these are the best and most original 3 that i have read.

1)David Gemmel (Drus and Waylander books as well as Echoes of a great song)
2)Raymond E Feist (All 24 books:D except for fairytale)
3)Frank Herbert (the first four dune books)

Last edited:

Nocturnity

Expert Member
I concur. Raymond E Feist is an excellent author. Also, David Eddings and David Drake.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Some older threads you might want to look through...

lots of book recommendations here... esp. Sci-Fi and Fantasy!

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=63230
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=44074
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=63309
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=44799
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=23861

...and these are my suggestions...

Most of these are Fantasy with a few sci-fi and others thrown in!

The Dragonlance Series by Weiss and Hickman
The Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
The Life of Pi by Yann Martell
The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett
The Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman
The Hitchhiker's Guide Series by Douglas Adams
The Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazny
The Incarnations of Immortality Series by Piers Anthony
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Series by Stephen Donaldson
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Well World Series by Jack Chalker
Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist
The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin

Asha'man X

Expert Member
Stephen Donaldson for The Thomas Covenant Series.

It's really a fascinating study of how the "anti hero" faces madness, and how he deals with it. All while set in a fantasy world that is richly described.

Not everyone likes Robert Jordan's sometimes slow and deep pace, but to me it leaves me with a far more satisfied feeling than other fantasy books.

Raymond E Feist is also good, but I've been unable to follow his books further than the first few.

Janny Wurts also writes good epic fantasy. Read a few of her books and it's good stuff.

Devill

Damned
I concur. Raymond E Feist is an excellent author. Also, David Eddings and David Drake. +1 on eddings although one or two of his books are really really bad, imo
Most of these are Fantasy with a few sci-fi and others thrown in!

The Dragonlance Series by Weiss and Hickman +1 (but only read the first 10 then it became a bit boring :p)
The Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
The Life of Pi by Yann Martell
The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett Not for everyone but if you like douglas adams you should like this atleast a bit :)
The Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman Great read
The Hitchhiker's Guide Series by Douglas Adams Great 4 books in that series :)
The Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazny
The Incarnations of Immortality Series by Piers Anthony
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Series by Stephen Donaldson
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling Really loved these books :)
The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien A bit slow pased for me but a real master pieceThe Well World Series by Jack Chalker
Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist Loved everyone of his 24 books :)
The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin
Janny Wurts also writes good epic fantasy. Read a few of her books and it's good stuff. +1 trying to get more of her books atm :)

Jonny Two Shoes

Expert Member
As mentioned earlier Sword of Truth series. Good read, all of them. Although it is stretched out a bit much it is still a good series.

A book I can recommend is "Swan Song" by Robert R McCammon. It's not in your genre but a helluva good book. Basically it's about a post nuclear fallout where people try to survive and they form armies in order to try rule as much as they can for survival. It follows a few important characters who have major sway on the outcome of the story, particularly one woman who tries everything in her power to just keep going forward and bring about hope for these communities struggling to survive.

Another two good books are 'Stonehenge' (Can't remember the author but the story was based on the tribes who built stonehenge..good story and well made up) and 'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtenay - A bullied schoolboy who becomes a boxer.

Last edited: