Google account details and Streaming devices?

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
What is everyone else doing regarding Google account details and streaming devices?

Do you use your primary Google account or have you created a secondary?

What are the potential risks?

My concern is with regards to logging into my Google account on the streaming device for the house / family. Is there a risk of the kids buying stuff? Getting access to my email? Being able to accidentally delete stuff?

Am I being paranoid for no reason?

Mogo

Your paranoia is founded methinks. Create a new account and link it to your main.

FrankyF

Expert Member
I've created dedicated accounts for my streaming devices/ smart TV's.

My primary account is my own business, and I'm not leaving it logged in on any device where someone else had access to it, besides the fact that the kids can buy stuff off of it, get access to my information, email, history, and all the other data contained in my profile.

I don't think you're being paranoid, and if you are, then I belong to the same class of paranoid as you

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Each person in my house (wife, kid and me) have our own Google accounts that each of us use on our own devices (phones, tablets, pc's and laptops). I have 2 media players, one on each tv, that use the same Google account.

I have installed Family Link (Google) on my son's account. He needs permission to install anything from Play store. I can also limit his screen time on Android devices as well as set bed time. You can also set what they can and can't watch on YouTube or what apps the can install. Stops him blowing his data bundle trying to install games while at boarding school. Every app requires a parent's consent.

I subscribe to YouTube Premium. You get 5 users for R110/pm. We each have our own accounts, one for the media devices and the last one my mom uses. All music and playlists are then synced across a person's devices.

Only my account has a payment method selected. Everything else I will pay for on an individual basis. Probably 1 or two purchases a year in total. Don't EVER give someone else access to a device that can access your payment method.

deesef

Expert Member
I have 3 accounts:
1 for "inconsequential"things, like social media, streaming, etc

Another one for business-related activities. My accounts (online and stores) and important stuff are linked to this account.

A third account services my "money"accounts. Banking, insurances, etc.

All my accounts have 2fa

Maybe I'm over cautious, but rather safe than sorry...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just set the Play store so it needs the account password for purchases. You can turn off Gmail syncing etc. as well. Lol no need to muck about with two or three accounts.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
I have a private account and a work account with Google. Both are on my phone. Simple.