Google aims at Microsoft's heart

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Google aims at Microsoft's heart

Google's personal computer operating system will fire a shot at the heart of rival Microsoft and move their escalating battle further onto Internet turf, analysts said on Wednesday.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
"This takes the entire concept of an operating system and takes it to something it really should be in this century; something much more tied to the Web. Right now, the market is moving online."

The next step would be nice fast uncapped Internet connections for everyone using Chrome OS. :rolleyes:

iblade

What a great win for Microsoft!!!!!!

Another OS to dilute the shares in the open source market.

SlappY

YAY!!!
Now they can deliver adverts directly to your desktop.
No thanks. Dont need that crap popping up in my face every 5 seconds.
Look what they did to youtube.

orin76

Expert Member

I'd tend to agree with you there. If you can't play the popular games on it or use Windows productivity tools on it (or get compatible alternatives), then it's a non- starter. I think Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse & co should be more worried about this than Microsoft.

Amida

Expert Member
I'd tend to agree with you there. If you can't play the popular games on it or use Windows productivity tools on it (or get compatible alternatives), then it's a non- starter. I think Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse & co should be more worried about this than Microsoft.

The only way you going to win in the games deaprtment is to get a standalone company to design a platform that can beat Direct X. Once you have that they can have support for all the platforms.

Lightscribe

Banned
Google had some dippy saying like "do no evil" or something...Perhaps someone else here knows it...

I wonder how many people still believe that little saying...

Microsoft first anounced plans of making operating systems online....big deal...who the hell wants to work only online...

...a few years later Google now follows suit...wow...

It would take Google "quite a while" to wrest a significant share of the operating system market from Microsoft because many programs depend on Windows, according to Gartner analyst Michael Silver.

Bundling an operating system with cloud services could cause Google regulatory woes similar to those that have haunted Microsoft, which has been a prime target of US and European antitrust officials..

freematrix

I think thats a bit short sighted. This is an OS to replicate what the Iphone does in terms of OS and applications. If this is marketed enough and the hardware vendors and suppliers buy in, then it can be a success. Google is a company and not a community and will not only rely on open source for its success for Chrome OS. Opensource relies on community to much for DESKTOP that is.

My opinion is they have been building up to this. Look at Wave, Gmail for Business, Online Office products which all work offline with Microsoft own active sync. There is a much bigger picture to this. Microsoft has lost already a large portion (relative) to Apple so people are keen to look at alternatives especially at costs savings.

freematrix

The only way you going to win in the games deaprtment is to get a standalone company to design a platform that can beat Direct X. Once you have that they can have support for all the platforms.

Games? The majority of PC owners and business users to do not use PC's for games. The PC games market has dropped significantly over the past 5 years because of something called the console. So unless you are talking about Solitare, I dont think this is a concern for Google...

I believe Microsoft knows this very well because of the Xbox.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma

Dude.. your post implies that you dont know how FOSS works. The more choices the better in FOSS. Duh.

Meh you know what.. I think astroturfers will never get it... Yeah ure right.. MS is reaaaally showing Google up! MS is ganna pwn all! zomg!11111Ihavelolcatsandword!

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
If Google did the right thing and designed their OS from scratch without any excess baggage, then it should be a winner.

Horses for courses, OS'es for a specific purpose.

Winders to breed viruses. Linux to work. :D

guest2013-1

Google had some dippy saying like "do no evil" or something...Perhaps someone else here knows it...

I wonder how many people still believe that little saying...

Microsoft first anounced plans of making operating systems online....big deal...who the hell wants to work only online...

...a few years later Google now follows suit...wow...

Not really, the antitrust thing happened because M$ forced you to have the IE browser installed. You couldn't uninstall it.

I'm pretty sure Google OS will have their browser installed by default (to get on the net quickly enough) but will have the option to uninstall it and install alternative browsers at will

F

Fudzy

I don't agree with the article, Chrome OS is being developed primarily for the lightweight netbook market, its nudging its way into a sector that Microsoft haven't really tackled properly. The end result of this ofcourse is Microsoft will pour millions into developing an official Windows Lite which people will most likely gobble up in droves.

d0b33

Honorary Master
I don't agree with the article, Chrome OS is being developed primarily for the lightweight netbook market, its nudging its way into a sector that Microsoft haven't really tackled properly. The end result of this ofcourse is Microsoft will pour millions into developing an official Windows Lite which people will most likely gobble up in droves.

It will run on desktops eventually but netbooks will be first, also I think it will be bundled with PC's from manufacturers not for anyone to just download and install.