Google Assistant rolling out to Android 6.0 and 7.0

Thor

Honorary Master
I am still pretty convinced google hot mic each android phone it would be the ultimate for AI learning

ysfsuleman

Hey guys, any apdates on Google Assistant in SA, I'm running 6.0 on my LG G4, still no Google Assitant option...

ysfsuleman

I changed language to English (US), opted in for Play Services beta, was already using beta Google App, cleared data on both of them, and still nothing... hope it works

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I changed language to English (US), opted in for Play Services beta, was already using beta Google App, cleared data on both of them, and still nothing... hope it works
It does work :) I restarted my phone and then opened Google Play store just to check that it had all updates instead.

After updating a few apps (there was nothing Google related in there but maybe it did something in the background) I did a long-press on my menu button and it did that usual 'screen scan' animation and this time it popped up with the Google Assistant!

adrianx

Expert Member
I got it to work on my LG G3, but I had to select Settings > General > Language & keyboard > Language > English (United States).

Edit: I also assumed Google app 'Search Language', but that didn't work.

Edit II: I was able to change my primary language back to English (UK) and Assistent is still there!

Last edited:

ysfsuleman

I got it to work on my LG G3, but I had to select Settings > General > Language & keyboard > Language > English (United States).

Edit: I also assumed Google app 'Search Language', but that didn't work.

Edit II: I was able to change my primary language back to English (UK) and Assistent is still there!
Thanks, this worked for me!

flarkit

Executive Member
On my OP3T, I had to add English (US) and rebooted just in case. Long-pressing the home button started the assistant up. I then tried removing US, so that I only had English (ZA), but then the assistant stopped working. If I had US set as secondary language, it wouldn't start. Only works if US is the primary.

phil77

On my OP3T, I had to add English (US) and rebooted just in case. Long-pressing the home button started the assistant up. I then tried removing US, so that I only had English (ZA), but then the assistant stopped working. If I had US set as secondary language, it wouldn't start. Only works if US is the primary.
Just to add on this, i had to change the settings for long press action to *search assistant* for it to work