Google drive mounted in Windows/Linux

cavedog

Honorary Master
Anyone using google drive mounted as a drive in windows or linux?

I actually set it up today and it's pretty decent. The fact that google has a JHB node makes it so much better especially for the 1Gbps fibre line users.

I tested some 80GB .mkv files playing from the mount and it's pretty decent. Love how it gets integrated like a HDD meaning you can run a plex or emby server feeding content from the mounted google drive. Works really well with a GSUITE account because well you have unlimited storage. :)

windows_drives.png

When copying from the mounted drive. I just have a 200Mbps line but pretty decent :D

gdrive_copy.png

Nimz

Expert Member
How does 1 go about doing this?

I have an unlimited drive account as well that I want to use for business backups

cavedog

Honorary Master
How does 1 go about doing this?

I have an unlimited drive account as well that I want to use for business backups
All credit goes to the devs that make rclone and winfsp and they made it free. Wow.

Anyways very simple easy guide to follow. Took me like 5 or 6 min at most.

Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/bmmhlj/windows_rclone_rclone_browser_rclone_mount_plex/

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
I use Rclone + Google Drive + Plex + some other bits for my media.

Tends to work well - I just need a faster home connection!

Reactions: Yuu

Pho3nix

The Legend
All credit goes to the devs that make rclone and winfsp and they made it free. Wow.

Anyways very simple easy guide to follow. Took me like 5 or 6 min at most.

Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/bmmhlj/windows_rclone_rclone_browser_rclone_mount_plex/
Thanks for this. Now if I could find 4 other people to sign up with me :D

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Thanks for this. Now if I could find 4 other people to sign up with me :D
Not sure if it still works, but there's a hack to get unlimited as a single business user ;)

Worked last year, not sure if it still works - but I'll drop you a PM.

daneza

That's really cool. I was actually talking with a friend about this a few days ago and perhaps running a cloud Plex server. Thanks for the link to the guide.
Worked last year, not sure if it still works - but I'll drop you a PM.
Please would you send my way as well? :D

cavedog

Honorary Master
There is actually no workaround or hack needed. Google simply does enforce the 1tb drive limit for single users. Been like this for ages and I have my account for a while too.

There is some transfer limits like 750GB upload limit and 10tb download limit per 24 hours other than that you unlimit harddrive space even as a single user.

Nice if you have a fast home connection because you can build up a nice library for yourself a run a plex or emby media server from the drive. Since google has a JHB node makes using it even better.

At only $12 or R180 give or take monthly for an unlimited drive I'd say that is some decent value for money.

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
AFAIK not enforcing and being unlimited are too different things.

- If you're on a 1TB account and they start enforcing you'll have issues
- If you're on unlimited and they change the policy, then chances are they'll grandfather like they've always done.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Wow, this is very cool! So basically it's a mapped network drive in the cloud? So moving data to and from the drive is as easy as copy and paste? I assume transferring data to the drive will be limited by one's upload speeds?

sand_man

Honorary Master
There is actually no workaround or hack needed. Google simply does enforce the 1tb drive limit for single users. Been like this for ages and I have my account for a while too.

There is some transfer limits like 750GB upload limit and 10tb download limit per 24 hours other than that you unlimit harddrive space even as a single user.

Nice if you have a fast home connection because you can build up a nice library for yourself a run a plex or emby media server from the drive. Since google has a JHB node makes using it even better.

At only $12 or R180 give or take monthly for an unlimited drive I'd say that is some decent value for money.
Very cool. SO how do you get 1PB? Is that on the $12/R180 unlimited plan?

drive.PNG

cavedog

Honorary Master
AFAIK not enforcing and being unlimited are too different things.

- If you're on a 1TB account and they start enforcing you'll have issues
- If you're on unlimited and they change the policy, then chances are they'll grandfather like they've always done.
You make some valid points but also remember they have not enforced this limit since the service has been active and in fact they just show your storage used not an upper limit like in your normal personal free drive.

Wow, this is very cool! So basically it's a mapped network drive in the cloud? So moving data to and from the drive is as easy as copy and paste? I assume transferring data to the drive will be limited by one's upload speeds?
Very cool. SO how do you get 1PB? Is that on the $12/R180 unlimited plan?

View attachment 700503
Yes so basically $12 excluding the domain name which you can use a free one anyways gives you access to the unlimited drive. The Windows mount shows 1Pb but in reality there is no limit especially if you look at Plex and Emby share servers which run close to 1 petabyte each and if you look at the sub reddit datahoarders on reddit you will see some very very big numbers there.

There is a 750GB upload and 10TB download limit per 24 hours and there is an API hit limit but if you followed the guide the rclone -vfs mode does work magic to prevent API bands which is a ban for 24 hours. Usually happens when youexcessively scan each folder and file in your google drive so would be good to to add your gdrive as an exclusion in your antivirus just in case.

Yes you can indeed copy and paste. When you copy from it it works at your download line speed and since it's local you will get 1Gbps download/copy from speeds. When you copy to the folder it uses a cache folder that stores it temporary while it's being uploaded. It's a long path c>windows>system32>rclone>config or something like that but once it's uploaded to the drive it purges that "temp" files so that is nice.

Might be better to use rclone browser or http://z-o-o-m.eu for uploading large files if your upload speed is 100Mbps or slower as it will take some time. Never though that a 200/100Mbps line is slow until you mount a google drive in windows :)

Since it's a mounted drive you can play music from it. You can play movies directly from it. You can edit files directly from it even run a Plex or Emby media server from it.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Well, I've broken mine....

broken.PNG

Also I'm not seeing the purpose of the Rclone Browser. Doesn't do anything. Not populating as indicated...?

rclone browser.PNG

Last edited:

Nimz

Expert Member
I'm stuck at this part

Type nssm install to open the GUI - if this throws an error then change directories within PowerShell to the rclone folder that is holding the nssm.exe file (cd c:\rclone)

sand_man

Honorary Master
I'm stuck at this part

Type nssm install to open the GUI - if this throws an error then change directories within PowerShell to the rclone folder that is holding the nssm.exe file (cd c:\rclone)
make sure nssm.exe from the win64 folder is in the rclone folder... try running with command prompt rather with administrator rights...

Nimz

Expert Member
Fark I think i fscked up something

I used backup & sync for a 200GB odd folder to sync to google drive - now when i check the properties of the folder it shows 2.7GB :oops:

All subfolders look like this now - Untitled.png

I'm trying to verify if all the files are still there and it seems like they are. I will only know on Monday

Any idea what could cause this? Did I lose all my info? i have since disconnected the account from google backup & sync but it still only shows 2.7GB

Last edited:

Chingha

Expert Member
If those files are shared with you then the owner has the space deducted from their allocation, not yours