Google drive mounted in Windows/Linux

sand_man

Honorary Master
Got rclone browser working. It's currently uploading 5tb's of series... going to take about a week... running at full line speed... 100Mbps... hope the effort is worth the reward @cavedog :giggle: once done with series we will have a look at movies... about 15tb... afrihost account is going to take an absolute pounding!

Reactions: Yuu

sand_man

Honorary Master
I was expecting to run gdrive using my gmail account and upgrade to unlimited but seems gsuite is a business solution where gmail.com address is not permitted? Am I interpreting it right? I basically had to register a domain and use that as the registering account.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Going to give it a try. Moved to Linux a while back and one thing that's missing is a decent sync for Google. Been using google-drive-ocamlfuse but it seems be intermittent.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Something which I find incredibly annoying, maybe someone can explain this to me, while upload is running at full line speed IE 100Mbps, download capacity and general performance of my line has been adversely effected. What I mean by that, higher than usual pings, download speeds akin to a 50Mbps (it's 1000/100). If it were a 100/100 line I would accept that all available bandwidth were being utilized uploading, but on 1000/100 it shouldn't be the case, surely?

Is this normal behavior?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Got rclone browser working. It's currently uploading 5tb's of series... going to take about a week... running at full line speed... 100Mbps... hope the effort is worth the reward @cavedog :giggle: once done with series we will have a look at movies... about 15tb... afrihost account is going to take an absolute pounding!
I was expecting to run gdrive using my gmail account and upgrade to unlimited but seems gsuite is a business solution where gmail.com address is not permitted? Am I interpreting it right? I basically had to register a domain and use that as the registering account.
Something which I find incredibly annoying, maybe someone can explain this to me, while upload is running at full line speed IE 100Mbps, download capacity and general performance of my line has been adversely effected. What I mean by that, higher than usual pings, download speeds akin to a 50Mbps (it's 1000/100). If it were a 100/100 line I would accept that all available bandwidth were being utilized uploading, but on 1000/100 it shouldn't be the case, surely?

Is this normal behavior?

Yeah suddenly 100Mbps is slow hey :laugh: The Gsuite is a business,npo or university option actually so I think that is why they are keeping is separate.

@websquadza Did explain somewhere that it's a Vumatel thing. I can't recall exactly what he said but it's a Huawei router causing it. Strangely enough I don't see the same issue with Openserve. My upload can be maxed but can still play games and if I start a download the upload just goes slower.

Well for R180 per month for unlimited storage I don't think you can go wrong. I mean you don't have to deal with disk failures again. Obviously it's not a responsive as an actual drive because it goes over the internet but hey it's not bad either.

Nimz

Expert Member
Fark I think i fscked up something

I used backup & sync for a 200GB odd folder to sync to google drive - now when i check the properties of the folder it shows 2.7GB :oops:

All subfolders look like this now - View attachment 700707

I'm trying to verify if all the files are still there and it seems like they are. I will only know on Monday

Any idea what could cause this? Did I lose all my info? i have since disconnected the account from google backup & sync but it still only shows 2.7GB
When Copying that same folder to the same hdd it showed copying 240GB but now after the transfer the size shows at 7.8GB and it looks like all the files are there

Thing is I need the original folder back to normal as it is mapped across the office network.

Anyone know what could be causing this

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yeah suddenly 100Mbps is slow hey :laugh: The Gsuite is a business,npo or university option actually so I think that is why they are keeping is separate.

@websquadza Did explain somewhere that it's a Vumatel thing. I can't recall exactly what he said but it's a Huawei router causing it. Strangely enough I don't see the same issue with Openserve. My upload can be maxed but can still play games and if I start a download the upload just goes slower.

Well for R180 per month for unlimited storage I don't think you can go wrong. I mean you don't have to deal with disk failures again. Obviously it's not a responsive as an actual drive because it goes over the internet but hey it's not bad either.
Yeah, 20tb to upload, looks like on 100Mbps, one could manage around 1tb per day. Nuts!!

Gsuite is a bargain compared to regular google cloud storage so yeah, R180 seems reasonable. Touch wood I've only ever lost 2 drives and both were WD. I swap out my Seagates long before they die but this could really be a viable alternative. Data consumption is going to go through the roof though.

The unresponsiveness has the potential to be a deal breaker for me but I'm on a gigabit here so let's see how it goes.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Data consumption is going to go through the roof. Let's say a single 500mb episode, you download it (500mb), upload it gdrive (+500mb), watch it on Plex (+500mb) = 1500mb?

sand_man

Honorary Master
When Copying that same folder to the same hdd it showed copying 240GB but now after the transfer the size shows at 7.8GB and it looks like all the files are there

Thing is I need the original folder back to normal as it is mapped across the office network.

Sounds like you in a heap of trouble...

RedViking

Nord of the South

Luckily you can use the backup you made to restore everything... Right? You did make a backup?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm stuck at this part

Type nssm install to open the GUI - if this throws an error then change directories within PowerShell to the rclone folder that is holding the nssm.exe file (cd c:\rclone)
I also got stuck there. Make sure nssm.exe is in the root folder of c:\rclone and if it is there is a slight setting you need to change in windows that I quickly need to search for you

Data consumption is going to go through the roof. Let's say a single 500mb episode, you download it (500mb), upload it gdrive (+500mb), watch it on Plex (+500mb) = 1500mb?
Yes it is. Watching from the drive, uploading to the drive and copying from or to the drive is all data so good thing you are unlimited pure fibre right :)

You can also do some tests and see how the read speed is for you on a 1Gbps. Should be so much faster because you are in JHB and Google has a JHB peering point.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yes it is. Watching from the drive, uploading to the drive and copying from or to the drive is all data so good thing you are unlimited pure fibre right :)

You can also do some tests and see how the read speed is for you on a 1Gbps. Should be so much faster because you are in JHB and Google has a JHB peering point.
I don't like pummeling my account for tb upon tb. It's abuse.... :sneaky: but boy, is it going to get pummeled?

Will be interesting to see how it performs. As you say locally peered on gigabit connection, should absolutely fly!

sand_man

Honorary Master
So I hit the 750gb 24 hour limit on uploads, fair emuff but what's disappointing is the file transfer speeds don't seem to run much faster than 20MB/s on a single thread... Was expecting at least 70MB/s... peered locally? Theories?

cavedog

Honorary Master
So I hit the 750gb 24 hour limit on uploads, fair emuff but what's disappointing is the file transfer speeds don't seem to run much faster than 20MB/s on a single thread... Was expecting at least 70MB/s... peered locally? Theories?
Yeah you should be maxing or getting close to max because it's all local. No multithreading required on local....

I did not see any posts that rclone mount is slow and most of the Americans use it with a 1Gbps fibre line too.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yeah you should be maxing or getting close to max because it's all local. No multithreading required on local....

I did not see any posts that rclone mount is slow and most of the Americans use it with a 1Gbps fibre line too.
Upload runs at full line speed. Don't think I've seen it dip under 100Mbps (monitoring in task manager). But file transfer between gdrive and local ssd drive, around 15MB/s-22MB/s.... anyway, I'll let rclone finish the uploads and test again. Going to take a couple of days...

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Guys, are you brave enough to store all your stuff from the high seas onto a cloud platform where one subpoena from a regulatory agency or other or other can nail you ? I use the cloud , but not for stuff that is not legit.

I'm this case, using VPN, etc doesn't help as everything uploaded to cloud is always associated to your gsuite account , etc

Speedster

Executive Member
Guys, are you brave enough to store all your stuff from the high seas onto a cloud platform where one subpoena from a regulatory agency or other or other can nail you ? I use the cloud , but not for stuff that is not legit.

I'm this case, using VPN, etc doesn't help as everything uploaded to cloud is always associated to your gsuite account , etc
What makes you think their stuff isn't all legit?

Concentric

Upload runs at full line speed. Don't think I've seen it dip under 100Mbps (monitoring in task manager). But file transfer between gdrive and local ssd drive, around 15MB/s-22MB/s.... anyway, I'll let rclone finish the uploads and test again. Going to take a couple of days...
There is some issues specifically with rclone.
Check the websquad thread.
@waylander explained it a bit iirc.