Google drive mounted in Windows/Linux

cavedog

Honorary Master
Maybe yeah... It was all over the place tbh... 20MB/s is probably a bit optimistic. It fluctuated wildly but on average probably around 20MB/s...

Don't know what Rclone is downloading. Upload I can understand but what the hell was it downloading between 2am-5am??

Eish, this setup is going to be incredibly data intensive! @cavedog I'm starting to have doubts... :unsure:

Well personally it's an excellent deal. I don't have space for 3.5inch drives only 2 drive bays and only space for 2.5inch hdd or ssd but after I started using nvme I doubt I will ever use sata ssd anymore so this google drive is the perfect solution for me.

~R180 per month for unlimited or close to unlimited is perfect.

cavedog

Honorary Master
@sand_man

Have a look at http://z-o-o-m.eu

I even donated quite a while back. Way better uploader. Can rate limit. Can multi thread upload and schedule uploads. Freeware. Works really well with gdrive. Just dump all the uploads in a /upload folder for example and then you can sort them at a later stage because it can't replicate the file structure you had when uploading.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Will definitely take a look, thanks. Rclone browser not bad though, getting the job done. About 700gb to go. Total is around 3.5tb...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Will definitely take a look, thanks. Rclone browser not bad though, getting the job done. About 700gb to go. Total is around 3.5tb...
Nice. I'm just short of 15tb on my drive. I let my seedbox do all the heavy lifting. The 750GB limit gets hit rather quickly actually.

signates

Executive Member
Going to give this a go soon. Don't have fibre yet. Only ADSL.

Currently have a 4 Bay NAS with 4x4tb WD red drives in a raid giving me 12TB which is nearly full. Have another 4 bay NAS but with no drives yet and will do this rather than buy another 4 drives.

Will also save me some packing space when I move over to the UK as I will not need to pack in the NAS when I emigrate.

Thor

Honorary Master
There is actually no workaround or hack needed. Google simply does enforce the 1tb drive limit for single users. Been like this for ages and I have my account for a while too.

There is some transfer limits like 750GB upload limit and 10tb download limit per 24 hours other than that you unlimit harddrive space even as a single user.

Nice if you have a fast home connection because you can build up a nice library for yourself a run a plex or emby media server from the drive. Since google has a JHB node makes using it even better.

At only $12 or R180 give or take monthly for an unlimited drive I'd say that is some decent value for money.
Holy ****, that is awesome.

I want a 200Mbps fiber line that would make that petabyte drive perfect :)

Thor

Honorary Master
Going to give this a go soon. Don't have fibre yet. Only ADSL.

Currently have a 4 Bay NAS with 4x4tb WD red drives in a raid giving me 12TB which is nearly full. Have another 4 bay NAS but with no drives yet and will do this rather than buy another 4 drives.

Will also save me some packing space when I move over to the UK as I will not need to pack in the NAS when I emigrate.
Don't think this can replace a NAS (at least not without fiber (100 or above)).

It can replace a NAS if used for backups only, not plex and stuff (unless fiber).

gamer16

Honorary Master
Must say this looks brilliant, love that it's integrated as a normal drive for all my intents and purposes, will set it up at some point.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Holy ****, that is awesome.

I want a 200Mbps fiber line that would make that petabyte drive perfect :)
Yeah, make no mistake, this setup is data intensive!! My account is taking an absolute pounding!!

sand_man

Honorary Master
Usage depending right?

As in if there is 500GB in that drive and I don't touch it then it won't take any data right?

(only if I read and write to it, correct?)
Correct.

To be fair I'm busy uploading my series collection, hence the insane upload stats on my account.

But as mentioned the other day, let's assume your usual pattern is to download an episode (500mb) and watch it and save it to your internal hardrive, total data used 500mb (assuming you watch the saved episode over local network).

Now, with this solution, download episode 500mb - upload to gdrive 500mb - watch episode streaming off of gdrive another 500mb. So 1500mb vs 500mb...

Moral of the story, don't bother with this if you on a capped solution.

Thor

Honorary Master
I see this as a great solution to have a synced drive between home and work.

(so I wont use it as a media/NAS kinda thing)

I'm excited

sand_man

Honorary Master
I must just add, the responsiveness is nowhere near what you'll get streaming from internal hardrives. Stating the obvious but in my preliminary testing the difference isn't insignificant. I run more conclusive comparisons once the uploading is done. I actually ran the same setup on a server located at my business, running on adsl 20/1. Accessing the gdrive files using Kodi, the performance was surprisingly good. Took about 3 seconds to open a 720p file...

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Please report back on how it went. I just tried using the Gnome Accounts option but its extremely slow on my 10Mb line. Dont know why. On Windows using Google Sync its super fast.
Are you using Ubuntu? I had the same, since switching to Manjaro Gnome no issues with speed.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Question here. How does Google handle the media on their drives. Do they not flag anything as pirated media?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Question here. How does Google handle the media on their drives. Do they not flag anything as pirated media?
Well people on /r/DataHoarder/ has been using it for years and years. 2 very important rules.

1. Don't share links as in the https://drive.google.com/file/d/ links. Don't use the drive as a private drive and you will be okay.
2. Don't share you account with a friend or so. Rather pay extra and add a user. Also make sure you can trust that user to not share content publicly.

Once these copyright agencies start reporting your public links you will get booted so avoid that and don't share it.

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
I see this as a great solution to have a synced drive between home and work.

(so I wont use it as a media/NAS kinda thing)

I'm excited
Well you can get a feel for it even with your personal free 7gb google drive if you want to see how it works for you before you buy a gsuite account.