Google drive mounted in Windows/Linux

cavedog

Honorary Master
Don't think this can replace a NAS (at least not without fiber (100 or above)).

It can replace a NAS if used for backups only, not plex and stuff (unless fiber).
Yeah google limits the api calls you can do to prevent congestion and abuse probably so rclone has a feature -vfs which limits the number of api calls preventing a ban. Now if you have a decent internet connection you can use it a drive for plex. Scanning it takes a while but with like 12TB storage 2 days scanning in the background. The nice thing is the -vfs command prevents it for excessively scanning the drive so almost no data usage and since the drive is not in your pc no resouces are being used while scanning :)

Running a local plex server and libraries pointed directly to the correct folder on the google drive and not just the whole drive to reduce scanning times and api calls. Working pretty decent with a 200Mbps fibre line :)

sand_man

Honorary Master
Something which I don't understand, I've changed the sharing properties on the gdrive, in advanced sharing, but it always reverts back to a default setting, which is not shared. How come?

bar1

Expert Member
Well people on /r/DataHoarder/ has been using it for years and years. 2 very important rules.

1. Don't share links as in the https://drive.google.com/file/d/ links. Don't use the drive as a private drive and you will be okay.
2. Don't share you account with a friend or so. Rather pay extra and add a user. Also make sure you can trust that user to not share content publicly.

Once these copyright agencies start reporting your public links you will get booted so avoid that and don't share it.
Best is to encrypt the data, then not even google can see the content of your gdrive.
This is what it looks like from drive.google.com.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So my Plex setup is working well BUT because the drive is mounted over the internet scanning the mounted drive consumes about 250GB per day in download between my schedule times of 1am and 5am. Need to find a way to sort that out because that is just too much data just for scanning even if the library did not change. :unsure:

sand_man

Honorary Master
So my Plex setup is working well BUT because the drive is mounted over the internet scanning the mounted drive consumes about 250GB per day in download between my schedule times of 1am and 5am. Need to find a way to sort that out because that is just too much data just for scanning even if the library did not change. :unsure:
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat if I'm understanding your issue correctly.

The way I have Plex/Sonarr and uTorrent setup, downloads automatically happen when content is available and the file is moved from the downloads folder (D Drive) to X drive, once uTorrent has finished downloading it.

But the amount of rclone.exe traffic I'm seeing is around 60gb a day! Even on days when there is no downloads scheduled. It's messed up man!!

cavedog

Honorary Master
@sand_man And to anyone that is wondering. The $12 Gsuite account is for 1 user with unlimited storage.

Team or Shared drives can be shared to other gmail users not part of the gsuite account to extend the unlimited to them without having to pay extra.

Team drives or now called Shared drives have unlimited storage. 750GB per day upload limit and 10TB per day download limit. They also have a 400 000 files limit. These limitations can be mitigated by created more Team/shared drives as you can created unlimited team/shared drives.

Very very cool feature from Gsuite. Just add the gmail address as a member in the shared drive. Each member gets their own API too so they don't affect your API and upload limits as the 750GB upload limit is per user and not tied to the drive itself.

These drives can also be mounted with rclone if needed. :)

sand_man

Honorary Master
Rclone.exe showing another 80gb worth of downloads between 3am-5am. Wtf is up with that? @cavedog

It goes nuts every morning same time. Plex? Surely not?

sand_man

Honorary Master
Mmmmm I don't get it.
Possible solution...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Mmmmm I don't get it.
The Scan my library periodically setting in plex follows the Scheduled tasks time. My time is set between 1am and 4am. When I look at the data usage it corresponds with those times. So either switch it off completely and do a manual scan as you add new content or leave it on on daily and then yeah ~250gb per day during those times.

sand_man

Honorary Master
250gb a day is nuts!! 7tb a month from Plex scanning libraries? There’s something very dysfunctional with how Plex is coded.

cavedog

Honorary Master
For those that want to give this a try you can buy a once off Team/Shared drive from ebay. They go for about $1 or ~R15 each once off. Some very clever people are selling these. Team/Shared drives are unlimited drives that can be added to any existing gmail address. These drives do not extend current drive storage of 15GB so they don't count for photo storage ect.

They have a 400 000 files limit, 750GB upload limit per day, 10TB download limit per day and unlimited file storage space. They have a 5TB per file size limit.

Very useful if you want to free up some space. They can be mounted in windows or linux with rclone which is very nice.

The people selling them is adding you as a member then removing themselves from the drive leaving you as the only user and owner of the drive. You can add more users to the drive if you want. Very nice although I'm sure google will probably eventually clamp down on this loophole but well worth the R15 in my option as you don't need to get a domain name and links to current gmail address. R15 once off gives you 2 x Team/Shared drives so that is 800 000 files limit unlimited storage.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Can also mount it without any issues. What I really like about the shared/team drives is you can add multiple gmail users each with their own API limits meaning if you split them over multiple drive mounts in rclone you will NEVER hit any API limit and obviously with each user/API credentials comes it's own 750GB upload limit.

So splitting you devices like a seedbox and personal pc on it's own api and gmail username means you get 750GB upload limit x number of users. :D

Nimz

Expert Member
lol I still wish I could get this damn Rclone working