Google drive mounted in Windows/Linux

cavedog

Honorary Master
@cavedog what could be causing media from Plex not to playback (content is on the mounted G Drive)
What errors are you getting? You use you not hitting API limits. Not sure honestly only ever used it with Emby

Nimz

Executive Member
What errors are you getting? You use you not hitting API limits. Not sure honestly only ever used it with Emby
Playback error - Content is unavailable

Api requests are sitting at 62400 - zero errors

Are you not having any issues with Emby?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
For those that want to give this a try you can buy a once off Team/Shared drive from ebay. They go for about $1 or ~R15 each once off. Some very clever people are selling these. Team/Shared drives are unlimited drives that can be added to any existing gmail address. These drives do not extend current drive storage of 15GB so they don't count for photo storage ect.

They have a 400 000 files limit, 750GB upload limit per day, 10TB download limit per day and unlimited file storage space. They have a 5TB per file size limit.

Very useful if you want to free up some space. They can be mounted in windows or linux with rclone which is very nice.

The people selling them is adding you as a member then removing themselves from the drive leaving you as the only user and owner of the drive. You can add more users to the drive if you want. Very nice although I'm sure google will probably eventually clamp down on this loophole but well worth the R15 in my option as you don't need to get a domain name and links to current gmail address. R15 once off gives you 2 x Team/Shared drives so that is 800 000 files limit unlimited storage.
Do you have a link to an ad selling one so I can give it a bash. I don't just want to go buy something then it's a fake ad. :ROFL:

Nimz

Executive Member
I might sell some team drives (6) - but monthly sub (R40)
No way of it disappearing as I own the Domain
:ROFL:

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I ended up buying from this guy. Now I'm not so sure if it was a wise choice because in his ad he states I'll have the drive within 8 hours. I ordered last night already and still nothing - hell I'm not even sure how to check on Drive if I have access to it yet.

My idea was to give it a trial run before committing to my own drive and moving my private stuff.

My main reason is I sold my main PC so now I have the hard drive with all my kids' photos from birth lying in a cupboard. That and my laptop's SSD (240GB) is getting full. Initially I was thinking of getting a 1TB SSD, until I stumbled across this.

Nimz

Executive Member
I ended up buying from this guy. Now I'm not so sure if it was a wise choice because in his ad he states I'll have the drive within 8 hours. I ordered last night already and still nothing - hell I'm not even sure how to check on Drive if I have access to it yet.

My idea was to give it a trial run before committing to my own drive and moving my private stuff.

My main reason is I sold my main PC so now I have the hard drive with all my kids' photos from birth lying in a cupboard. That and my laptop's SSD (240GB) is getting full. Initially I was thinking of getting a 1TB SSD, until I stumbled across this.
lol i also bought from that seller and it took 2 days to come through - used that as a trial before setting up my own

Check under shared drives

Problem with those eBay drives is that they can delete them at any time and without notice. So don't store stuff you're not willing to lose.

Within 6 months to a year that drive will be deleted guaranteed.

Are you looking at setting up your own G suite account?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Are you looking at setting up your own G suite account?
Yes, in fact I think I have one already because I'm using the Maps API.

edit: I don't

And now google doesn't want to accept my Standard Bank Virtual CC - which I use for all card not present purchases :(

I wonder if they have a means to check whether its a prepaid/virtual card.

edit 2: they do check and they don't accept VCC's.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
@Nimz

I found this interesting:

gdrive_api.png

Maybe edit your mount with the google api client id and client secret enabled and check performance again.

Reactions: Yuu

Nimz

Executive Member
@Nimz

I found this interesting:

View attachment 841037

Maybe edit your mount with the google api client id and client secret enabled and check performance again.
Yeah my setup has all that info filled in......

I'm actually moving to RaiDrive as I found that the performance is much faster.
I need to find out how to do the sync part only now with Rclone

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Yeah my setup has all that info filled in......

I'm actually moving to RaiDrive as I found that the performance is much faster.
I need to find out how to do the sync part only now with Rclone
Also using RaiDrive, however, I have yet to set up RClone :thumbsup:
1589566545259.png

Nimz

Executive Member
@cavedog Did you ever have an issue whereby you couldn't stream media because Rclone was using all the available bandwith?

200/100 Mbps line

cavedog

Honorary Master
@cavedog Did you ever have an issue whereby you couldn't stream media because Rclone was using all the available bandwith?

200/100 Mbps line
To be honest I never really streamed from emby or plex enough to have noticed issues. If rclone is maxing your bandwidth it might be cache related or some program that is trying to save something to the mounted drive.

Personally I ended up just streaming the content directly from gdrive with kodi. Just managed my folders better on gdrive. Using plex or emby just wasn't as efficient as I liked. Also had to have a plex pass or emby premier which I did not like.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

If you're a G Suite Business subscriber (which is the case for many individuals who are just looking to get more benefits and fewer ads, even if they don't own a business), you have access to unlimited Drive storage for only $12 a month. While Google notes that plans with four or fewer individual users are only eligible for 1TB, our testing and a look around the web make clear that Google has never enforced this limit.

1602165072823.png

This is changing with Google Workspace. There's a hard limit of 2TB for individual Business users and 5TB per person on the new Business Plus plan. It's still plenty for most people, but at some point, you'll run into limitations.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ohh my God.....

Let's pray they don't enforce the data caps. What a disaster. My 15TB worth of pdf tutorials. Where am I going to save it now :eek:

cavedog

Honorary Master
You can't sign up for these old G Suite plans anymore, which is a bummer. But if you're already benefiting from your unlimited G Suite Drive, don't worry. A Google spokesperson told us that "these changes will not impact current contracts. Existing G Suite licenses and related services will continue to function as they do today, until a customer transitions.