Google Phone here

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Google Phone here

Google and telecom carrier T-Mobile unveiled Tuesday the first mobile device powered by the Internet search giant's software, a smartphone seen as a potential rival to Apple's popular iPhone

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
here? where? in South Africa?

you guys really need to pick your article titles more carefully!

We've been told about twenty times that the iphone is "here" ... now you are doing it with the Google phone as well.

ic

Super Moderator
here? where? in South Africa?

you guys really need to pick your article titles more carefully!

We've been told about twenty times that the iphone is "here" ... now you are doing it with the Google phone as well.
Actually the article was written by AFP, kindly lodge your complaint on AFP's website about AFP's article.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Actually the article was written by AFP, kindly lodge your complaint on AFP's website about AFP's article.
Then would it not be wise to slightly alter the Titles for the South African context? The phone is not here... it's there :p I know it is a minor issue... but titles like this have a tendency of getting us all excited... and then we are in for a disappointment when we actually read the content only to find that it does not really apply to us...

I would have changed this one to.. "Google phone arrives in the USA"

ic

Super Moderator
Then would it not be wise to slightly alter the Titles for the South African context? The phone is not here... it's there :p I know it is a minor issue... but titles like this have a tendency of getting us all excited... and then we are in for a disappointment when we actually read the content only to find that it does not really apply to us...

I would have changed this one to.. "Google phone arrives in the USA"
Just my opinion, do with it what you want, but an article's headline is part of the article, and altering any part of an article amounts to altering the article, which is IMO undesirable.

Perhaps you could be a little less excited next time you read any headlines from within South Africa's borders...

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
LoL @ ic and Garyvdh :D

I reckon its some kind of infringement if the headline or anything in the article was changed.
Remember that though this is a South African website, it does also publish international articles :p :)

Had to crack at this comment from GSMArena...
just not smart enough to be called smartphone
EDIT:

As for:
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Cellular/5337.htmlWhat does that mean exactly? - does one wait for the G3 edition to get HSPA, or does the G1 already have HSPA and if so what uplink and downlink speeds?
It would seem that it does not have HSPA... (from the same as previous link)

Hardware-wise the T-Mobile G1 sports a 3.2-inch display touchscreen display, QWERTY keyboard, quad-band GSM/EDGE and dual-band UMTS support, GPS, Wi-Fi and a built-in accelerometer. We already mentioned that the camera won't support video recording and the Bluetooth support will be limited to mono headset use only (no stereo and no file transfers). The Bluetooth functionality will be enhanced later on.
EDIT v2.0:

Scrap that it does seem to have HSDPA :HSDPA 2100

Full specs from GSMArena

Code:
For T-Mobile
General 	2G Network 	GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network 	HSDPA 2100
  	HSDPA 2100 / 1700 - American version
Announced 	2008, September
Status 	Coming soon. Exp. release 2008, October
Size 	Dimensions 	117 x 55.7 x 17.1 mm
Weight 	158 g
Display 	Type 	TFT touchscreen, 65K colors
Size 	320 x 480 pixels, 3.2 inches
 	- Full QWERTY keyboard
- Trackball
- Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate
- Handwriting recognition
Ringtones 	Type 	Polyphonic (40 channels), MP3, WAV, WMA
Customization 	Download
Vibration 	Yes
Memory 	Phonebook 	Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
Call records 	Practically unlimited
Card slot 	microSD (TransFlash)
 	- 192 MB RAM, 256 MB ROM
- Qualcomm MSM7201A 528 Mhz processor
Data 	GPRS 	Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
HSCSD 	No
EDGE 	Class 10, 236.8 kbps
3G 	HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps
WLAN 	Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 	Yes, v2.0, headset support only
Infrared port 	No
USB 	Yes, miniUSB
Features 	OS 	Android OS
Messaging 	SMS, MMS, Email, Instant Messaging
Browser 	HTML
Games 	Yes
Colors 	White, Black, Brown
Camera 	3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels
 	- Built-in GPS receiver
- Digital compass
- Document viewer
- Java MIDP 2.0
- Voice memo
- MP3 player
- Built-in handsfree
Battery 	  	Standard battery, Li-Ion 1150 mAh
Stand-by 	Up to 406 h
Talk time 	Up to 5 h 20 min

Last edited:

Devill

Damned
Nice specs :D

Now if we can just get it for a nice price in SA :D

Off Topic: did vodacom release a price for the Iphone yet?

fz1

Just my opinion, do with it what you want, but an article's headline is part of the article, and altering any part of an article amounts to altering the article, which is IMO undesirable.
How about prefixing the headline of syndicated articles?

Example:

AFP: Google Phone here
Or:

International News: Google Phone here
Back to the topic: nice specs (except for only 65K colour screen - come on, that's so WinMo :p), un-sexy design (looks a little better in black, though). I do like how they curved the bottom up towards you, but I guess I need to reserve judgement until I actually see how it feels in person.

fz1

If one would buy it from the US will it work on our networks?
Well, apparently, it will be SIM-locked: http://www.gsmarena.com/google_and_tmobile_unleash_the_g1_for_$179_and_a_twoyear_contract-news-601.php

If you somehow got around that, technically you should be able to use it seeing as it is quad band and includes support for the 2100MHz band which we use for 3G/HSDPA.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I love google. Whenever they spot a ultra proprietary thing on the horizon they set about to make something to combat it. Go Google phone !

any guess when it will actually be "here"?

i'm trying to decided whether to get another contract in the meantime. hope this phone won't be network-locked (like the iphone is to vodacom)

Rahl

Nice specs, pity 'bout the UGLY!
Have to agree there. That is one really ugly phone. It also looks a bit flimsy so don't know about it.

any guess when it will actually be "here"?

i'm trying to decided whether to get another contract in the meantime. hope this phone won't be network-locked (like the iphone is to vodacom)
Next year only for Europe so count on maybe end of year if we are lucky. They will aso have to negotiate on the contract thing so it might end up being a Vodacom exclusive again if Vodafone get the deal.

Devill

Damned
Have to agree there. That is one really ugly phone. It also looks a bit flimsy so don't know about it.

Next year only for Europe so count on maybe end of year if we are lucky. They will aso have to negotiate on the contract thing so it might end up being a Vodacom exclusive again if Vodafone get the deal.
Well on the bright side then the software will have "evolved" and there will be millions of apps for this phone :) (Or so I hope)