gorilla glass

droplet

Expert Member
is gorilla glass strong enough to withstand all scratches? if not, how quickly does it get scratched? how necessary is it to get a screen protector for a smartphone?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I'd rather have a screen protector just to be on the safe side.

Anything can (and will) get a scratch - on a place you'll see it the most. Murphy's law.

Ecco

Executive Member
I dont think mine has gorilla glass (htc desire) its more then a year old, not a single scratch on the glass.

The only protection i have is a full leather htc pouch into which the entire phone sits.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Not sure. My Moto Defy does not yet have a single scratch on the screen....but then again I never ever put my phone face down or anything like that. I am sure though if you take a key and scratch the screen then you looking for a bad result.

What I want now is fingerprint retardent screens. :)

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I dont think mine has gorilla glass (htc desire) its more then a year old, not a single scratch on the glass.

The only protection i have is a full leather htc pouch into which the entire phone sits.
It does have gorilla glass.

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
Had my Galaxy S since November, often leave it face down on tables and the like, it has one tiny little scratch.

It's on the button.. Which Samsung didn't protect at all..

Poor thing is also abused quite badly, keys in pocket and the like.. The Gorilla Glass is amazing though.

I'd get a screen protecter if you're worried anyway, but I have a habit of keeping phones forever, so I'm not too fussed.

droplet

Expert Member
my personal feeling is that the gorilla glass will be sufficient for keys and general pocket stuff, except for sea sand.

on a slightly different note, do screen protectors ruin the feel of a phone in any way? do they make the phone look like they are wearing a cover?

isie

Honorary Master
is gorilla glass strong enough to withstand all scratches? if not, how quickly does it get scratched? how necessary is it to get a screen protector for a smartphone?
maybeaperently its quite tough, i rember reading on this forum of a guy that droped his n8 on a table saw and its didnt have a scratch

Sl8er

Executive Member
Gorilla (my) gl-ass.

Dropped my phone (Moto Defy) once...ONCE!...landed face down...nasty gash across the screen. I'm sure if you take a key and scratch it, it'll leave a mark -no in fact, I guarantee it will. Get a screen guard, even if they try and sell you frickin' "superman glass," or whatever.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Got gorilla glass with no protection and sometimes put the my phone and keys into the same pocket it it doesn't have one scratch yet one year later, so I think it is fine without the protection.

rorz0r

Executive Member
my personal feeling is that the gorilla glass will be sufficient for keys and general pocket stuff, except for sea sand.

on a slightly different note, do screen protectors ruin the feel of a phone in any way? do they make the phone look like they are wearing a cover?
Yes mine feels quite different and basically worse with one of those invisibleshield covers (which is rubbish btw).

scotty777

...doesn't know
I think it'll only scratch with really hard stuff, like sand (beach sand) or quartz rocks... or diamonds/saffire (if you like keeping jewels in your pockets?)

They've done tests with hardened steel, and that doesn't scratch it... so anything 'normal' like carkeys won't scratch it.

I have heard that gorilla glass is brittle, on par with regular glass...Which means that if it meets impact force (aka dropping it), it'll shatter.

Maddmatt

Expert Member
is the scratching on the screen?
Do you think I'd be referring to scratches on the plastic cover when we're talking about Gorilla glass? :p
Yes it's on the screen. Not sure it's bad enough that I'd bother with a screen protector though. It's pretty minor really.

droplet

Expert Member
Do you think I'd be referring to scratches on the plastic cover when we're talking about Gorilla glass? :p
Yes it's on the screen. Not sure it's bad enough that I'd bother with a screen protector though. It's pretty minor really.
sorry, i should have been more specific. it could have been the button (heard that wasn't as tough).