GTX1660 TI vs RTX2060

Boofta

Hi all,

Looking for opinions as to whether the RTX2060 is worth what seems to be 3K price difference on a gaming laptop?

Considering laptops are only at 1080p, I've seen mixed reviews and of course, it depends on what games one wants to play.

Apologies as this is probably an unhelpful question given the multitude of factors about any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Ah great point, thanks! Not sure I can wait 3-4 months though!
Well here's the thing with PCs, you either get what you can afford now and benefit from it now, or wait 3 to 4 months for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting 3 to 4 months for the next best thing.

Boofta

Well here's the thing with PCs, you either get what you can afford now and benefit from it now, or wait 3 to 4 months for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting 3 to 4 months for the next best thing.
Sure, I think the one added detail in this situation though is that there's a substantial technological advance with RTX (ray-tracing) from the GTX, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it given (1) the price, (2) that the RTX2060 is the weakest of ray tracing in any event. Is it going to substantially improve my gaming experience?

Leaning towards just biting the bullet though as more RTX games come out in the future.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Sure, I think the one added detail in this situation though is that there's a substantial technological advance with RTX (ray-tracing) from the GTX, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it given (1) the price, (2) that the RTX2060 is the weakest of ray tracing in any event. Is it going to substantially improve my gaming experience?

Leaning towards just biting the bullet though as more RTX games come out in the future.
Put it this way RTX drops an 2080 to half the frame rate when it's on and that's the most powerful of the lot, currently

Solitude

Executive Member
Looking for opinions as to whether the RTX2060 is worth what seems to be 3K price difference on a gaming laptop?
I had to make the same decision earlier in the year. I decided that it wasn't worth paying extra for the 2060. Don't know if that helps at all.

Boofta

Put it this way RTX drops an 2080 to half the frame rate when it's on and that's the most powerful of the lot, currently
Yes, that's what I've seen on some reviews! Hence the apprehension. However, others say that games will better adapt and the FPS drops won't be as serious. So, I'm definitely thinking about this from a perspective of whether this will help in the future... anyways clearly there's no simple answer.

TRZ214

The fact that laptops also wait almost until the tail end of the GPU run means that you will be waiting even longer for the 3000 series to make its way into laptops at the price point you are looking at.

If you aren’t considering running it on an external display, I’d say the 1660ti is the reasonable choice.

On top of that, the 2060 super sort of killed any interest I may have had in the 2060. I don’t know why the 2060 still exists.

wizardofid

Executive Member
The fact that laptops also wait almost until the tail end of the GPU run means that you will be waiting even longer for the 3000 series to make its way into laptops at the price point you are looking at.

If you aren’t considering running it on an external display, I’d say the 1660ti is the reasonable choice.

On top of that, the 2060 super sort of killed any interest I may have had in the 2060. I don’t know why the 2060 still exists.
Lol reminds me of 8800GT a few years back.

wizardofid

Executive Member
The 8800GT was actually pretty decent, real world testing put it at around or better than the GTS.
Actually was with in spitting distance on the GTX, but due to the lower bus size, it suffered with higher resolutions, it beat the GTS almost outright, pretty much making the GTS pointless.

mr_norris

Expert Member
OP, just be aware that OEMs can have many configurations when it comes to the power the GPU's can use. From what I seen, it's touch and go, and you really have to dig deep to figure out what TDP they've configured. I think Nvidia provides the OEM with a range, and then the pick the TDP based on cooling they can provide. On top of that, watch out for Max-Q designs if you are all about performance - they are nerfed power wise.

Otherwise seeing as though your options are 1660ti / 2060, there are a lot of new AMD laptops that are out with those cards (they don't seem to be here though). Bonus points from me if you plan on getting one of those :D