Handy Must Know Linux Applications

D3x

Expert Member
for personal finance there can't be anything that beats kmymoney
Just looked at a screen shot on Wiki. Seems pretty interesting. Can you do budgets & all other sorts on it as well?

PaddyTM

is it better than avant window navigator - mac style dock?
Hmm, not sure, awm just doesn't do it for me (although it's been a while since I tried it), so I use cairo instead. Problem with cairo is that it's version of system tray/notification area, is pretty rubbish, so I use this as a substitute.

It's very similar to the Windows 7 application notifier, and I was always impressed by that one.

Seeyou

Expert Member
- Audacious is the best music player I've come across, though that might just be personal preference as I love its Winamp emulation / windowshade mode
- Downloader for X is a great file download manager
- GNOME commander if you need a file manager a little more comprehensive than Nautilus

D3x

Expert Member
Awesome, thanks.

I was looking for a download manager for Linux & I came to this thread without even using Google.

:D

Logicklz

Awesome, thanks.

I was looking for a download manager for Linux & I came to this thread without even using Google.

:D
jdownloader

Downloader is a download manager, written in Java, which allows the automatic download of files and split files from one-click hosting sites such as Rapidshare and Megaupload. JDownloader supports the use of premium accounts.

jonno_081

For simple text editing use Scite (Scintilla text editor)... I use this on both Windows and Linux. It has text highlighting for just about every programing / scripting language, so I find it very useful for C++ and PHP development...

Nod

Executive Member
LOL

I need to look at this when I have time. I installed it but I cannot find it in the menu. Guess you need to work with it in the terminal? The road less traveled is not always easier. :D
Jip, it is commandline. The documentation is pretty good, so you shouldn't have any problems. You can google for a gui frontend, but most of those projects seems to have died off.