Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

n3cr0s1s

Definitely a DP cable issue, HDMI works just fine on 144hz. Thanks for all the help.
So bought a new DisplayPort cable...and the issue is still there. Screen going off / black and back on in games at random times, mostly on loading menu. No issues with HDMI. Could be a cable issue or a GSYNC one. The cable I bough is below.

https://www.ugreen.com/product/UGREEN_Golden_Plated_DP_to_DP_2m_Cable-en.html This is a DP v1.2 cable and is rated for 1080P 144hz.

Any ideas...

[UPDATE] - Turning FREESYNC off on the monitor solves the issue. Games are now running fine with the DP cable. Problem returns when FREESYNC is enabled.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
No such thing as HDMI/Displayport cable versions AFAIK.

It's just marketing mostly.
Lots of the time yes, but it's about cable quality. Some cables just can't keep up but sticking to short cables works for most.

Pseudonym

So bought a new DisplayPort cable...and the issue is still there. Screen going off / black and back on in games at random times, mostly on loading menu. No issues with HDMI. Could be a cable issue or a GSYNC one. The cable I bough is below.

https://www.ugreen.com/product/UGREEN_Golden_Plated_DP_to_DP_2m_Cable-en.html This is a DP v1.2 cable and is rated for 1080P 144hz.

Any ideas...

[UPDATE] - Turning FREESYNC off on the monitor solves the issue. Games are now running fine with the DP cable. Problem returns when FREESYNC is enabled.
Does the G-sync still work with freesync off?

JustinB

Any ideas...

Does the G-sync still work with freesync off?
Pretty sure G-sync will not work with freesync turned off.

Remember that G-sync != Freesync. Only some monitors are G-sync compatible, and G-sync is not advertised to work on all freesync monitors. The issue you're experiencing sounds like compatibility issues which may not be resolvable.

I would google for potential solutions that others have used to be get their freesync monitors working.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
  • Haha
Reactions: Swa

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

n3cr0s1s

Pretty sure G-sync will not work with freesync turned off.

Remember that G-sync != Freesync. Only some monitors are G-sync compatible, and G-sync is not advertised to work on all freesync monitors. The issue you're experiencing sounds like compatibility issues which may not be resolvable.

I would google for potential solutions that others have used to be get their freesync monitors working.
Thanks, I have narrowed down the issue. It seems when a frame rate drops below the screens FreeSync minimum the screen turns Freesync off, and then back on when it gets back up, hence the flashing in loading screens where FPS are under 30.

Does anyone else with this screen have that issue? I get it in older games, Diablo 3, COD MW Remastered...

I cant find any solution to it.

[Update] - It seems to flicker in new games too, as well as if I open game launchers, like Bethesda Launcher, or Spotify. Could it be a screen issue...

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thanks, I have narrowed down the issue. It seems when a frame rate drops below the screens FreeSync minimum the screen turns Freesync off, and then back on when it gets back up, hence the flashing in loading screens where FPS are under 30.

Does anyone else with this screen have that issue? I get it in older games, Diablo 3, COD MW Remastered...

[Update] - It seems to flicker in new games too, as well as if I open game launchers, like Bethesda Launcher, or Spotify. Could it be a screen issue...
What resolution are you running at?

Leisure Larry

Xiaomi Mi Smart Vacuum & Mop with Docking Station (Black)

(click stars to rate)
List priceR8,499Loot PriceR7,508

I manage to get one!
Thanks. Ordered white.
Wanted Roborock S5 max but no one's shipping to SA @ the moment.
Settled for this. At least I get local warranty.

Mike7

I haven’t kept up with your replies but have you tried installing an older driver? I had the same issue and that fixed the problem.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Loot allready increased the price on vacuums, both black and white is now R7800. Black use to be R7500 and white R7200. Hopefully they honor the old price.

insect

Looking for a Type C hub with HDMI and power delivery for a notebook, possibly DEX usage.

Not sure if I should get something with wired ethernet as well?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Looking for a Type C hub with HDMI and power delivery for a notebook, possibly DEX usage.

Pretty sure linus made video with a device like that.

He basically only used c cable to his razer laptop and everything ran from it, power display etc

WAslayer

Expert Member

Look at the J5 Create JCA374.. upstream charging, hdmi, ethernet and 2 usb3.1 A type ports..

moondoggie86

I got a volkano usb c type hub from cna a few months back. I think I paid 1k for it. When cna had their electronics closing down sale it went for 350.

It has a USB 3.1, ethernet, hdmi, SD card slot and USB c in for power (not sure if it can power a laptop though).

Use it for dex on my phone.

Reactions: Yuu

K3NS31

Expert Member

I"ve seen loads of those on all the usual sites (Takealot, Loot etc.); but very few of them do Power Delivery at the moment. Even power banks / chargers. PD is still very new, esp in SA, it seems