Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

johnjm

Expert Member
That is weird as batteries included as part of devices are usually not subject to shipping restrictions.
Imports from India specifically prohibit items with batteries. I probably got lucky because it was included with some cameras that don’t have batteries.

But personally, I don’t see small items like that having issues. People’s mileage may vary.

Reactions: Swa

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Mine died over the weekend. Rebooted my Pi and that was the end.
The people that were arguing with me earlier this year, saying these SanDisk MicroSDs are reliable with constant writes, raise your hands please :)

I have Samsung Evo+ cards in my cameras (13 months) and my Pi (3 years) with no issues. I would recommend getting 1 of those.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Are there any good specials on internal 2-4TB 3.5" HDD's currently? I'll consider external ones if they are cheaper and shuckable, too.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Mine died over the weekend. Rebooted my Pi and that was the end.
The people that were arguing with me earlier this year, saying these SanDisk MicroSDs are reliable with constant writes, raise your hands please :)

I have Samsung Evo+ cards in my cameras (13 months) and my Pi (3 years) with no issues. I would recommend getting 1 of those.
I've had 2 Sandisk Micro SD's die on me - one in my wife's phone, one in mine. 32GB units iirc. Now these are phones, so not much restarting and power downs and so on. Not cool.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Commercial SD cards are meant for storing photos ect on and not for running an OS.
That's what Industrial Grade SD cards are for.

Totempole

Expert Member
I've had 2 Sandisk Micro SD's die on me - one in my wife's phone, one in mine. 32GB units iirc. Now these are phones, so not much restarting and power downs and so on. Not cool.
Same here, these SD Cards drop like flies for me, particularly Adata and SanDisk cards.

I use them in a phone as well, but as adoptable storage, where the card expands the phone's internal storage.

I found out that the adoptable storage feature causes the SD Cards to wear out much faster than just using them in regular external storage mode.

enerdude

Expert Member

I had good luck with a transcend microsd as well. Been running coreelec off it for more than a year on one of my android boxes.

Reactions: Yuu

adielk

Executive Member

Wasnt me BUT my sandisks still going strong in Wyze cameras.

Reactions: Yuu

adielk

Executive Member
Commercial SD cards are meant for storing photos ect on and not for running an OS.
That's what Industrial Grade SD cards are for.
Ok I guess why mine surviving? They in my wyze video cameras, but capturing video more intense than storing photos?

alqassam

Expert Member

SanDisk high endurance SD card uses 3D Nand which similar to the one used by ssd. So the next time you complain about dying sd card, buy the high endurance card and make sure it is original.
This is also why I keep say you don't need ssd for pi unless u need high write speed. Running home assistant? Not significant difference.

K3NS31

Expert Member

SanDisk high endurance SD card uses 3D Nand which similar to the one used by ssd. So the next time you complain about dying sd card, buy the high endurance card and make sure it is original.
This is also why I keep say you don't need ssd for pi unless u need high write speed. Running home assistant? Not significant difference.

I have a cheapie micro sd in my Pi (NOT a Sandisk - Adata or Kingston or something) and haven't had any issues - used to run a dedicated Kodi box; now Raspbian with Retropie. Never had sd card issues over years of combined use.
Now, using a name brand Sandisk in my phones on the other hand... Well, as I said above - 2 failures in 2 phones.

enerdude

Expert Member
Found this unboxed i7 7700 while browsing takealot if someone is in the market to upgrade their 7th gen system.

Pretty much 1-1.5k cheaper than buying new anywhere else.

Bought unboxed items before, no real risk, besides you can return within 30 days no questions asked.

Dan C

Honorary Master
I have a cheapie micro sd in my Pi (NOT a Sandisk - Adata or Kingston or something) and haven't had any issues - used to run a dedicated Kodi box; now Raspbian with Retropie. Never had sd card issues over years of combined use.
Now, using a name brand Sandisk in my phones on the other hand... Well, as I said above - 2 failures in 2 phones.
Been running SanDisk SD cards in my home security cams, dashcam etc for over a year now. No problems. The security cams record 24/7. You should upgrade your cell phones :p

Swa

Honorary Master
Found this unboxed i7 7700 while browsing takealot if someone is in the market to upgrade their 7th gen system.

Pretty much 1-1.5k cheaper than buying new anywhere else.

Bought unboxed items before, no real risk, besides you can return within 30 days no questions asked.
Does it become double unboxed then? :unsure:

Been running SanDisk SD cards in my home security cams, dashcam etc for over a year now. No problems. The security cams record 24/7. You should upgrade your cell phones :p
I agree. It seems certain devices are the issue.