Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

lexor

Expert Member
I hear you. I’ve had similar experiences as well. The majority of buyers are pretty thick so they get away with it.

Last month a resistive work out band of mine broke after 2 months.

I returned it asking for a replacement because the price had doubled (and they had stock).

Instead they said there is no stock and refunded me the lesser purchase price.

After I showed them that they do have stock and they are taking a chance, did they send me a replacement.

Point is, unboxed deal or not, takealot will try take advantage. They lean on the CPA which requires a minimum of 6 months warranty.
Exactly the same happened to me twice in the last few months.

I actively try to avaod shopping at Takealot these days , even if I have to spend a little bit more elsewhere.

capd

Expert Member
Uhm, so........... Takealot likes you to Buyalot, but does not like people Returningalot, so they started with this bullshit. In 2015 I purchased a Logitech G602 mouse, brilliant device, but not immune to Minecraft. So in 2018, just a few months before it's 3 year manufacturer's warranty would lapse, the left mouse button stopped working. Now if it was out of warranty, I would simply order some new switches and fix it myself, but since it was still under warranty, I contacted Takealot and informed them of the issue. Now my cousin works for them, and needless to say, a few stories she told me left me very suspicious, in addition to the fact that they belong to NASPERS (which is short for "National Assholes Screwing People (from) Every Reasonable Side). I took some screenshots of their website clearly showing the three year manufacturer's warranty. They got back to me a few hours later, stating that the warranty was only for 6 months. I just knew this was going to happen. They had changed their website in the meantime to reflect a six month warranty. Luckily I had the screenshots and sent them a strongly worded letter filled with colorful words and metaphors. Needless to say, they did not expect that a shopper would be smarter than their staff, so they refunded me the purchase price of the mouse. I have not again purchased anything from them as they have since moved to change all warranties to 6 months, regardless of the manufacturer's warranty. This is a clear indication that Takealot is ONLY there to make a profit, and not render any service afterwards. Once they have your money, you don't care about what happens. Be vigilant, and avoid Takealot at all costs. They might "appear" to be cheaper, thanks to their dubious marketing tactics, but you end up getting a product with a 6 months warranty, and then you are left on your own.
1. Always deal with Logitech directly.

2. I returned a GTX 1070 to Takealot one day before end of warranty. I was refunded in full (R8,500).

3. I’ve returned many other items without issue (spent around R1m with them over the last decade).

4. “Changing everything to 6 months” is nonsense.

5. Your emotive story is the exception and not the norm.

Ferog

Uhm, so........... Takealot likes you to Buyalot, but does not like people Returningalot, so they started with this bullshit. In 2015 I purchased a Logitech G602 mouse, brilliant device, but not immune to Minecraft. So in 2018, just a few months before it's 3 year manufacturer's warranty would lapse, the left mouse button stopped working. Now if it was out of warranty, I would simply order some new switches and fix it myself, but since it was still under warranty, I contacted Takealot and informed them of the issue. Now my cousin works for them, and needless to say, a few stories she told me left me very suspicious, in addition to the fact that they belong to NASPERS (which is short for "National Assholes Screwing People (from) Every Reasonable Side). I took some screenshots of their website clearly showing the three year manufacturer's warranty. They got back to me a few hours later, stating that the warranty was only for 6 months. I just knew this was going to happen. They had changed their website in the meantime to reflect a six month warranty. Luckily I had the screenshots and sent them a strongly worded letter filled with colorful words and metaphors. Needless to say, they did not expect that a shopper would be smarter than their staff, so they refunded me the purchase price of the mouse. I have not again purchased anything from them as they have since moved to change all warranties to 6 months, regardless of the manufacturer's warranty. This is a clear indication that Takealot is ONLY there to make a profit, and not render any service afterwards. Once they have your money, you don't care about what happens. Be vigilant, and avoid Takealot at all costs. They might "appear" to be cheaper, thanks to their dubious marketing tactics, but you end up getting a product with a 6 months warranty, and then you are left on your own.

K3NS31

Expert Member
I've found that if the item is "Fulfilled by Takealot", then you're more likely to have issues with returns etc. in my experience.
They've mostly been pretty good, but I have had 1 or 2 occasions where I'd have preferred to go somewhere and shout at someone to get proper help. (I'm not a shouter - this was after much emailing back-and-forth)

Leisure Larry

I've found that if the item is "Fulfilled by Takealot", then you're more likely to have issues with returns etc. in my experience.
They've mostly been pretty good, but I have had 1 or 2 occasions where I'd have preferred to go somewhere and shout at someone to get proper help. (I'm not a shouter - this was after much emailing back-and-forth)

You need a Karen in your life mate.

ozziej

I see the description in the preview says 250GB, but its a 500GB
R 949
Another deal, especially considering this is a NVME drive (not the latest gen, but still good)

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
1. Always deal with Logitech directly.

2. I returned a GTX 1070 to Takealot one day before end of warranty. I was refunded in full (R8,500).

3. I’ve returned many other items without issue (spent around R1m with them over the last decade).

4. “Changing everything to 6 months” is nonsense.

5. Your emotive story is the exception and not the norm.
I was also surprised a couple of times to get credit for 2 phones I bought when I returned them.

airborne

Honorary Master
Are there any better ssd deals than R999 for a Western Digital Blue SN550 SSD 500GB (NVME M.2)?
  • 500GB Capacity
  • Sequential read speed up to 2,400MB/s
  • Sequential write speed up to 1,750MB/s
  • NVME M.2 Form factor
  • Internal SSD
  • 5 Year warranty

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Are there any better ssd deals than R999 for a Western Digital Blue SN550 SSD 500GB (NVME M.2)?
  • 500GB Capacity
  • Sequential read speed up to 2,400MB/s
  • Sequential write speed up to 1,750MB/s
  • NVME M.2 Form factor
  • Internal SSD
  • 5 Year warranty
You can sometimes find oem ones from Dell laptops on carb but they normally not much cheaper

Reactions: Yuu

Jake45

Expert Member

Dan C

Honorary Master
Not sure if this is the right thread but R150 off purchases at MIA Africa with the code "NYTIGER2022".

Got that mail too. But frankly there is nothing I would want to buy at the moment sadly.