Hass and IDS alarm integration

grump_grouch

I guess I'm up a creek without a panel?

Busy with it on my side. Long process (laziness from my side) but will get there eventually (I hope). So far have managed to get all their web service calls into HASS (using Python scripts to do the calls) - don't need HYYP app on the phone. My alarm arm/disarm/bypass/etc. are driven by our home/away status and the time of day. Hope to completely cut out their web service/MQTT/HYYP route eventually and control the system directly via the HYYP module and the Mosquitto broker.

R4m80

Busy with it on my side. Long process (laziness from my side) but will get there eventually (I hope). So far have managed to get all their web service calls into HASS (using Python scripts to do the calls) - don't need HYYP app on the phone. My alarm arm/disarm/bypass/etc. are driven by our home/away status and the time of day. Hope to completely cut out their web service/MQTT/HYYP route eventually and control the system directly via the HYYP module and the Mosquitto broker.
How is the progress on this?

grump_grouch

How is the progress on this?

Was going well. The Python scripts and HA could communicate via the MQTT broker. Could not connect directly to the HYYP module on local network but could connect via the internet. Had it set up to arm/disarm/bypass based on time of day and who was at home/away and when. Big problem was the IDS/HYYP servers that were always offline when I needed it most. Even when using their HYYP app I could not connect to my alarm a lot of the time. Went through 7 HYYP modules with them (even using one of their 3G/4G modules supplied by them with their own sim card in it - they kept on blaming my network/ISP - Cool Ideas on Vumatel). After 2 years of fighting with them (even got a letter from them stating there were issues with their HYYP servers) and them promising to sort out their servers/issues, I gave up on IDS and replaced the system with a Paradox one. Got tired of not being in control of my own alarm/property and unable to control it remotely (even with their HYYP app). Paradox is a much better system in my opinion and I am so much happier with it. So if you know of anybody who wants an IDS X64 system with a couple of expander modules for very cheap, I have the paper-weight lying around somewhere :laugh:

Basically you will have to look at the packets that the HYYP app sends in order to get your module ID that gets used on their servers. With this you can then send commands to their HYYP servers and retrieve info from their servers in order to manage your alarm. It is just a couple of REST API calls.

lucifir

Expert Member
Damn, i just got a IDS X64 system hoping to do the same down the line :crying:

chrisc

Executive Member
Are you controlling the alarm with relays?

Paradox offer an IP module in which all the homework has already been done

Couple this with a TM50 touch keypad and you have a modern, elegant system

1594882263179.png

l3ok

Was going well. The Python scripts and HA could communicate via the MQTT broker. Could not connect directly to the HYYP module on local network but could connect via the internet. Had it set up to arm/disarm/bypass based on time of day and who was at home/away and when. Big problem was the IDS/HYYP servers that were always offline when I needed it most. Even when using their HYYP app I could not connect to my alarm a lot of the time. Went through 7 HYYP modules with them (even using one of their 3G/4G modules supplied by them with their own sim card in it - they kept on blaming my network/ISP - Cool Ideas on Vumatel). After 2 years of fighting with them (even got a letter from them stating there were issues with their HYYP servers) and them promising to sort out their servers/issues, I gave up on IDS and replaced the system with a Paradox one. Got tired of not being in control of my own alarm/property and unable to control it remotely (even with their HYYP app). Paradox is a much better system in my opinion and I am so much happier with it. So if you know of anybody who wants an IDS X64 system with a couple of expander modules for very cheap, I have the paper-weight lying around somewhere :laugh:

Basically you will have to look at the packets that the HYYP app sends in order to get your module ID that gets used on their servers. With this you can then send commands to their HYYP servers and retrieve info from their servers in order to manage your alarm. It is just a couple of REST API calls.
I See the Hyyp board has a serial connector to the main board, have you tried to reverse engineer this to possibly replace the hyyp with a pi?

nad_isa

Are you controlling the alarm with relays?

Paradox offer an IP module in which all the homework has already been done

Couple this with a TM50 touch keypad and you have a modern, elegant system

View attachment 875715
In the market for an alarm system that i can in future control with home assistant. So is paradox the way to go? Do they have a native app in the meanwhile before i start messing with home assistant?

grump_grouch

I See the Hyyp board has a serial connector to the main board, have you tried to reverse engineer this to possibly replace the hyyp with a pi?
No. But all moot now, as I am a happy Paradox user and have had zero issues so far.

ThatGuy_ZA

In the market for an alarm system that i can in future control with home assistant. So is paradox the way to go? Do they have a native app in the meanwhile before i start messing with home assistant?

I managed to get my Paradox SP6000 based alarm integrated into HA pretty easily. Have a look at the write up here.

gbyleveldt

This seems like the best option to me, you can integrate with legacy or replace legacy.
https://konnected.io/
My only issue with Konnected is that there’s no EOL resistors for the sensors. I guess it’s moot wether you really need tamper detection, but still you making the interface smart but the actual detection part dumber. Also, I doubted my insurer would’ve been happy with a “DIY” alarm panel.

I actually seriously considered it to replace my Paradox system, but eventually I got PAI to work on a Pi Zero W right in the panel. No IP150 module needed after all

l3ok

My only issue with Konnected is that there’s no EOL resistors for the sensors. I guess it’s moot wether you really need tamper detection, but still you making the interface smart but the actual detection part dumber. Also, I doubted my insurer would’ve been happy with a “DIY” alarm panel.

I actually seriously considered it to replace my Paradox system, but eventually I got PAI to work on a Pi Zero W right in the panel. No IP150 module needed after all
I'm more thinking of the interface option, so leave legacy as is, and add konnected as the "smart" interface. Does this also remove the EOL resistors?

What is PAI btw? I disqualified a paradox upgrade because of the firmware version issues with the IP150.

l3ok

I'm more thinking of the interface option, so leave legacy as is, and add konnected as the "smart" interface. Does this also remove the EOL resistors?

What is PAI btw? I disqualified a paradox upgrade because of the firmware version issues with the IP150.
Awesome found it. I guess the old ids 805 pannel is going to go.

gbyleveldt

Awesome found it. I guess the old ids 805 pannel is going to go.

Yup, Pi Zero W, PAI, a USB/TTL interface and job done. Wirelessly. No Ethernet cables to the panel like you’d need with an IP150. That’s what sold it for me. I did add a little 5V DC-DC converter to power the Pi off the alarm battery so it’s online all the time.

l3ok

Yup, Pi Zero W, PAI, a USB/TTL interface and job done. Wirelessly. No Ethernet cables to the panel like you’d need with an IP150. That’s what sold it for me. I did add a little 5V DC-DC converter to power the Pi off the alarm battery so it’s online all the time.
Did you have to get a USB OTG cable to convert the OTG micro usb to standard, and if so where?

gbyleveldt

Did you have to get a USB OTG cable to convert the OTG micro usb to standard, and if so where?
Yeah, you need one of those as well. I had a few laying around, I can’t remember where I got them. But I’m sure you can get an OTG cable anywhere you buy a Pi from. In fact I think those were included in some Pi kits I got.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Can you share some pics of your setup for inspiration. I am running Pai on Hass connected to the IP150 in direct mode and want it to be the only way to control alarm. Not going to renew Insite Gold when it expires. Yours looks to be a better method than what I am using.

gbyleveldt

Can you share some pics of your setup for inspiration. I am running Pai on Hass connected to the IP150 in direct mode and want it to be the only way to control alarm. Not going to renew Insite Gold when it expires. Yours looks to be a better method than what I am using.
I can, but give me a few days. I need to get into the top cupboard to get to the panel. Thinking about it today, I actually want to do away with the usb serial port and wire the Pi Zero Uart directly to the panel (they both 5V ttl) and print a nice enclosure for all of it to fit into. It’ll make the setup less clunky. Pi Zero, Panel, klaar.

Edit: I see Pi’s pins are 3.3v and not 5V tolerant. Crap.

Last edited:

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I can, but give me a few days. I need to get into the top cupboard to get to the panel. Thinking about it today, I actually want to do away with the usb serial port and wire the Pi Zero Uart directly to the panel (they both 5V ttl) and print a nice enclosure for all of it to fit into. It’ll make the setup less clunky. Pi Zero, Panel, klaar.

Edit: I see Pi’s pins are 3.3v and not 5V tolerant. Crap.
Thx