Have you ever returned something because you found it cheaper elsewhere?

Have you ever returned something because you found it cheaper elsewhere?

• Yes - I have

Votes: 73 29.6%
  • I haven't but I might

Votes: 62 25.1%
  • No - I wouldn't

Votes: 108 43.7%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I think I have - Its not something I would do normally though. I hate returning things, I have brand new clothes that don't fit because its a hassle to return.

I did return some clothes last year though, it was because of the price. I needed some smart pants and a new jersey so popped in to woolies and just grabbed my size and swiped the card.
I don't care about fashion and crap so I just get standard issue guy clothes. When I got home saw it was R 2k !, the 2 items were just under R1000 each...

I could think of a million better ways to spend R2k so I took them back and they did actually ask why... I said it was a gift for my dad and it was the wrong size. They gave me full refund.

So if you didn't know Davy Jones is stupidly expensive so don't think that just because it looks like normal pants, that its not actually something really expensive.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
When i live in the UK in the early 2000's if I bought something and found it cheaper in the next 2 months, BarclayCard would just refunded me the difference.

ld13

Honorary Master
I have done it before, and see no issue with it. It is allowed as per the standard terms from retailers.... so why would I feel bad using it? But if the price difference is minor, I do not bother. It rarely happens in any case, as I do my homework. But sometimes I miss e.g. a 3 for 2 Clicks special and then it might be worth while to do a return.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I have done it before, and see no issue with it. It is allowed as per the standard terms from retailers.... so why would I feel bad using it? But if the price difference is minor, I do not bother. It rarely happens in any case, as I do my homework. But sometimes I miss e.g. a 3 for 2 Clicks special and then it might be worth while to do a return.
Because the store is now stuck with an item they either cannot sell, or need to sell at a loss.

Basically, you are costing them money and you should feel bad about it.

You had the money to buy the item at that price. Seeing it cheaper somewhere else and returning it is obviously not, because you need the money, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

The store, however, does need it to keep the doors open and their employees fed.

Oh, and returning something out of buyers remorse is not a 'standard term for retailers'. Where do you get that from?

Leo_

I find it quite amusing that people think it’s unethical or shows a lack of integrity in doing so.

Sometimes a R100 difference means you can keep the hot water on for a little longer. Buy a little more data to stay connected. Afford a few extra taxi fares to and fro the city.

No one should feel ashamed by doing so, and by all means, do it if it makes financial sense to you.