Have you ever returned something because you found it cheaper elsewhere?

Have you ever returned something because you found it cheaper elsewhere?

• Yes - I have

Votes: 73 29.6%
  • I haven't but I might

Votes: 62 25.1%
  • No - I wouldn't

Votes: 108 43.7%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

Leo_

I find it quite amusing that people think it’s unethical or shows a lack of integrity in doing so.

Sometimes a R100 difference means you can keep the hot water on for a little longer. Buy a little more data to stay connected. Afford a few extra taxi fares to and fro the city.

No one should feel ashamed by doing so, and by all means, do it if it makes financial sense to you.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Yes I have, and I don’t feel even the tiniest twinge of guilt. Perhaps this thread will help me to see the error of my ways.

Wouldnt do it to a small business, I guess.
And what is the definition of a small business?
Just, because it is a name brand that makes it a big business? Maybe it is a franchise and that specific owners only shop. Maybe he is even struggling to keep the doors open, because of franchise fees.

It's a selfish attitude to have.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I find it quite amusing that people think it’s unethical or shows a lack of integrity in doing so.

Sometimes a R100 difference means you can keep the hot water on for a little longer. Buy a little more data to stay connected. Afford a few extra taxi fares to and fro the city.

No one should feel ashamed by doing so, and by all means, do it if it makes financial sense to you.
If you are short on R100 to keep your water running, maybe you should change your spending habits, and not buy something you already cannot afford only to return it later.

ld13

Honorary Master
Because the store is now stuck with an item they either cannot sell, or need to sell at a loss.

Still sealed, not opened, not used - I have never returned opened items ... sealed items go back to the shelf and there is no loss for the retailer at all. At least if one ignores the underlying transaction costs, time and till slip paper used etc.

Edit: I have never seen a retailer that do not have some form of a return policy. Most accept returns for sealed items, with no questions asked, within reason. I have returned closed/sealed items to Pnp, Game, Takealot, Incredible Corruption, Hificorp etc. There are exceptions of course.

Last edited:

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I've had people come back after I replaced the LCD on their phone, demanding that I take the new one off and put their old one on, because they found a backyard mechanic who can put a inferior product on for cheaper.

Of course, when you tell them to fark off they squeal like hungry little piggy's
"Who owns this place!"
"I'm going to social media!"
"I'm calling the papers!"
"You will hear from my lawyers!"

Selfish tw@ts

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

1. Know your rights and obligations​

It is important for you to know your rights so that you can insist upon them being honoured by suppliers and for you to be able to make decisions or take actions which best protect your interests.

For example, under section 19, it is an implied (automatically included) condition of every transaction for the supply of goods that the supplier is responsible to deliver the goods on the agreed date and at the agreed time, if any, or otherwise within a reasonable time after concluding the transaction or agreement. If a date and time are agreed upon and the supplier fails to deliver on the agreed date, the consumer is entitled to cancel the agreement without penalty.

Armed with this knowledge, a consumer would ensure that when delivery of an item purchased is discussed with the supplier that a date on which the delivery must take place is agreed upon. Further, the consumer would know that he or she would be entitled to cancel the transaction if the goods were not delivered on the agreed date.

As consumers’ rights are not limitless, it is also important for consumers to know what they not entitled to, to avoid frustration and wasting time. For example, a supplier is not obliged to refund a consumer if the consumer simply changes their mind and decides they do not like what they bought or discovers they can buy the goods more cheaply elsewhere.

There are few obligations in the true legal sense imposed on consumers by the CPA. Those that are relate mainly to honesty, such as the obligation not to alter, obscure, falsify or remove a displayed price, which carries a term of imprisonment if breached. Most of the obligations that there are in the CPA are in the sense of expectations that consumers will do certain things, such as the expectation that consumers will examine goods in the store or when delivered to them to ensure the goods are what they want or ordered respectively. If the consumer fails to do as expected of them, they may lose the benefit of the particular right. Thus if a consumer damages the goods by using them in a way that is unreasonable, they will not be entitled to return them for a refund.

I am sure some will disagree with both the CGSO and the CPA, and when proven otherwise will reprimand the seller.

I measure consumers by their own businesses or employers. I know people who champion consumer rights, but don't practice it in their own day-to-day business activities.

In principle, it is the consumer’s responsibility to investigate and research their purchase decision. You regularly see the consumer place this onus on the seller, and yes, the seller must provide pre-sales support, in case not they are best to avoid.

Service

I have and didn't feel guilty about it. There's something I was eyeing for Black Friday last year. Did my 'due diligence' weeks in advance. I saw where it was cheapest and decided to hold out and see if they will have a Black Friday special on it.

Lo and behold, they had a '20% off' special and I pulled the trigger. Three days later, another retailer ran a 50% off special on a bigger and better version of what I had just bought. Unfortunately, with the 50% discount, the price ended up being the same. Super long story short, I returned the product which was fortunately still sealed at the time and went for the upgrade at the same price. Even though there was no saving per se, I think it still counts.

ZizzyBoy

Still sealed, not opened, not used - No problem - you can return it cause it can be resold - or put back on to a shelf for resale.

Some examples where ppl want you to remove a cell phone screen (LCD) etc - that is not on cause you found it cheaper elsewhere - that person used time labour etc

but allot of argument is over small cash - what if you bought a big item and the difference in savings is thousands

Its all about opinion we all should do things that we would not want must be done towards us if we know its wrong like use a product and then return it -

#JustMyOpinion

Drifter

Honorary Master
Nope, if I made that mistake, it's my bad. Why go all EFF/ANC.... etc because of my fahrk up. School fees, heard of it?

Maurice Kitching

Consumers are stupid in general and South Africans more so. Research what you're going to buy. Not talking about groceries here. Look for a good quality item before looking at price and then find that item at a decent price before purchasing.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
No not yet....The cheapest buy is 1-Cash not credit, 2-Know your prise so you can immediately spot if its cheaper or more expensive than expected, 3-Buy too expensive in one place is your punishment for not knowing your prises-if you return it you may be punished again, 4-The more expensive argument only applies to excact same stuff, cheap can be expensive on similar stuff.

MK_Ultra

Yes I have. The communist in me felt a little guilt. But the capitalist in me is the stronger one and I spent the savings elswhere thereby excercising a little communism. Synergy acheived.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
No, but I was in luck, I bought a tumble dryer at Game once and then it went on sale. Luckily they have a policy that if the item you bought goes on sale within 3 weeks they pay out the difference.

wbot

Expert Member
Nope. Never actually returned anything for any reason

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
No, but I was in luck, I bought a tumble dryer at Game once and then it went on sale. Luckily they have a policy that if the item you bought goes on sale within 3 weeks they pay out the difference.

That is cool. Game has an internal policy which promotes trust between them and their buyers. The law doesn’t require them to that, they are adding value.

InternetSwag

Expert Member
No, I would only do it, if it was a really big price difference. I.E I think the original seller was ripping me off.

SandraF1

No would not do that. But, always check online for prices at various shops. In the last two years have bought TV; printer; vacuum cleaner; blender; weedeater; deep freezer, got the best price on line, take a photo on my IPad, go to Game who matches the prize plus extra 10% on difference. Have saved quite a lot.