HelloPeter sold, owner departs

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
If the company needs an unlimited package, then that is worrying.....

When you have millions of customers, you will need it.

The irony with this whole website. If you really cared about consumers and wanted to help them you would not be charging companies to respond. That way more companies are likely to respond. I know many many many companies that did not respond, simply because they felt being charged was unethical, or if they were small... it was not worth the costs to them.

If you care about the consumer, you want as many companies responding to their complaints as possible. Not just the ones that pay you.

bokdrol

Executive Member
But what alternative does the SA consumer have? The Consumer Council? Lol! The Ombudsman? Lol!
Poor customer service in this country is the norm, unfortunately. I am tired of companies getting away with such shocking service. Laat hulle betaal, it is part of running costs of business. Maybe less bonuses and perks for the CEOs and management and more attentiveness to customers.
I would think legitimate complaints are in the majority in any case. There may be a few nutters who make false allegations, but beezness is beezness.

bnreddy

Sad, if it closes down. Hello Peter helped us, ordinary people to get response from companies to our complaints.

Munch

Although I agree with the concept of Hellopeter, I don't believe it was implemented correctly and it has many shortcomings. Lets hope these are addressed by the new buyer. As for it's effectiveness in my own personal use, I have found especially in complaints against Vodacom, Cell C, MTN in a porting dispute but also in complaints against other large corporates that the same people from the call centre will call contact me that I would get through to when I call them directly and I will still get nowhere with my issue/complaint. Not the exact same person, but people from the same department I would speak to when calling the call centre. I had a problem that needed to be escalated to the right people knowledgeable to fix the problem, however getting a problem like that escalated and even getting hold of the same people again that agree to help is impossible as they don't leave contact numbers or email addresses. So Hello Peter works more like a please call me system than a dispute resolution system.

Corporates always just leave a cookie cutter response usually that someone will contact me telephonically and the Hello Peter is essentially closed and they ignore further responses. It would be better an issue and all correspondence could be tracked and logged by the user. Not sure about legal implications or how this could even be implemented but would it not be great if every phone call could be logged and downloaded for others to listen to.

That being said I am sure it has helped many people.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
When you have millions of customers, you will need it.

The irony with this whole website. If you really cared about consumers and wanted to help them you would not be charging companies to respond. That way more companies are likely to respond. I know many many many companies that did not respond, simply because they felt being charged was unethical, or if they were small... it was not worth the costs to them.

If you care about the consumer, you want as many companies responding to their complaints as possible. Not just the ones that pay you.

Vodacom always did well with HP complaints. The outright numbers can be misleading, so much better to look at ratios. For example, if 0.01% of the VC base logs a complaint, it's still thousands of people. But if we look at ratios compared to other companies, it's not too shabby.

disclaimer: personal view

I always felt having a system where anyone can lodge a complaint but companies have to pay to respond is very close to extortion. Not saying legit complaints do not exist but I've seen proper 'spite' complaints as well.

Another big issue with HP (and few people know this) is that Cheales deletes any complaints on HP about HP. Some of these have been published on other sites (for those who want to Google them), including his vicious responses to people who post complaints about HP.

/disclaimer

Getafix

Expert Member
Vodacom always did well with HP complaints. The outright numbers can be misleading, so much better to look at ratios. For example, if 0.01% of the VC base logs a complaint, it's still thousands of people. But if we look at ratios compared to other companies, it's not too shabby.

disclaimer: personal view

I always felt having a system where anyone can lodge a complaint but companies have to pay to respond is very close to extortion. Not saying legit complaints do not exist but I've seen proper 'spite' complaints as well.

Another big issue with HP (and few people know this) is that Cheales deletes any complaints on HP about HP. Some of these have been published on other sites (for those who want to Google them), including his vicious responses to people who post complaints about HP.

/disclaimer

C'mon Jannie? Was R4 167.00 a month to much for VC for another marketing tool?

Munch

/disclaimer
Yes, I have actually tried to HelloPeter, HelloPeter and it's simply not possible. I had reason to do so, can't remember what but I am a consumer not a bussiness.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I always felt having a system where anyone can lodge a complaint but companies have to pay to respond is very close to extortion.
Exactly.

Companies get attacked on mybb / twitter all day long...but withholding the ability to respond until a payment is made as a business model - as you say "very close to extortion".

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
When I got the mail I was reminded that I had accounts with them. Promptly had them closed within an hour.