help me upgrade my car audio

joker08

Expert Member
I have never done this before so any guidance would be really appreciated. I drive a toyota etios with stock audio system and two front speakers. Happy with the sound quality but just want two speakers in back for a little more sound.
I visited Soundmatch, they pointed out that the stock radio doesnt have a rear speaker connection so I would have to change the radio to a different one or some other things and gave me a below list/quote. I dont understand any of this and there is not even a new radio in this.
Item Descriptionqtypricetotal
BB TOYOTA ETIOS 2012 2ND GENERATION279.00279.00
AMPK8 ENERGY AUDIO 8G WIRING KIT *HI+
1​
SPEAKER 16G ENERGY AUDIO FROST PM 100M *H+
16​
AMP4 ENERGY AUDIO 4CH 6ORMSX4 5000.4
1​
SPLITTER 1F-2M STING 1000
2​
LABOUR 1 AMP + 4 SPEAKERS TYPE B
1​
SPK8 DI)-COAXIAL-1-00RMS699.00699.00
SPK69 INFINITY PRIMUS 3WAY 90WRMS 360WPEAK
1​
RCA CONVERTOR BLACK SPIDER HI-LOW+REMOTE
1​

INVOICE TOTAL 4845.00

Last edited:

joker08

Expert Member
if anyone wants to know, I just scanned the quotation and OCR`d it :)

WAslayer

Executive Member
Can't comment on quality of brands, if it's a good price or not etc..

What I can say, there is no radio because they are putting in a 4 channel amp.. so the existing two speaker output from the stock radio will go to the amp and from there it will go to the 4 speakers..

gamer16

Honorary Master
That quote is for way way more than you need if all you want is 4 speakers. You will have to get a amp and a set of 4 speakers, you can get a great amp for around R800 and the same for a set of good speakers plus about another R500 for small things like a line output converter and wiring. Then also labor if you want someone else to install it.

Soundmatch is ripping you off there, where are you based?

joker08

Expert Member
That quote is for way way more than you need if all you want is 4 speakers. You will have to get a amp and a set of 4 speakers, you can get a great amp for around R800 and the same for a set of good speakers plus about another R500 for small things like a line output converter and wiring. Then also labor if you want someone else to install it.

Soundmatch is ripping you off there, where are you based?
cape town.
Thats what I figured. The sales guy understood I am new to all this. the only reason I went there was because thats the only shop I know that does car audio. suggestions for shops would be awesome.

Last edited:

Wall

Sports Addict
cape town.
Thats what I figured. The sales guy understood I am new to all this. the only reason I went there was because thats the only shop I know that does car audio. suggestions for shops would be awesome.
Check out cash Crusaders. Much cheaper and will serve the purpose :)

Rabobi

Honorary Master
5k for a system with a cheap amp and no subwoofer? Just lol

gamer16

Honorary Master
cape town.

I can't suggest shops because I'm based in JHB but I can send you a couple of links to the products you need then you can go from there either order them and take them to be installed or try and get them to suggest something similar so they don't rip you off?

gamer16

Honorary Master
I would suggest the following

Using the stock radio

Convert the stock radio speaker outputs to signal for the amp:

Targa Audio High to Low Converter @ R150

6″ Speaker Spacers for Toyota Etios/Quest/Yaris @ R195 (This is so you can fit proper size speakers in the door)

Targa 8gauge Car Audio Wiring Kit @ R150 (This will have everything you need finish en klaar, unless you add bigger amps or subs)

Starsound Digital SSA-T1-4000 4channel Amplifier @ R795 (4 channel amp with more than enough power)

Alpine SXE-1750S 6″ 280w Split Speaker System @ R750 (Best speakers you'll get under a thousand rand, you can run 2 or 4 depending on your budget)

Sub total R2040

You can go cheaper if you drop component quality, but you would be wasting time then I think.

Magnum

Expert Member
You could always mount a BT soundbar and play music from you phone. Mobile. and with a professional installation could look nice. theft proof also.

joker08

Expert Member
I would like to go with @gamer16 advise and buy the components myself, that way I have more control. Issue is I dont know any trusted installers around. My biggest worry is static due to poor instalation.

Magandroid

Expert Member
2 places I've only ever used over the years is Sounds Dynamic and you can speak to Anees. Have only had great service from them. http://www.soundsdynamic.co.za/
The other company is Autowizz in Maitland and also had great service from them. http://www.auto-wizz.com/
Best would be to shop around. Visit the places and ask questions. Normally the guys are very happy to explain and assist, then you can make an informed decision. Once you understand what you want then you can even buy your own components and have it installed at one of the professional installers.

joker08

Expert Member
will it be better if I get rid of the stock radio and install something new ? not so happy with the current one it only has a USB option. And it wili solve the two channel output issue.

Magandroid

Expert Member
will it be better if I get rid of the stock radio and install something new ? not so happy with the current one it only has a USB option. And it wili solve the two channel output issue.
Depends on your budget but would probably be better to replace the current stock unit with a quality head unit. Also remember that things can get pretty expensive so you don't necessarily have to replace everything at once. I researched everything as far as possible. Bought an Android HU with a reverse cam, had that installed. Then a few months later bought quality speakers from Autostyle via Takealot and had that installed directly to the Android HU. Then later got myself a quality amp. Didn't bother with a subwoofer as at this stage I am past that. Quality speakers gives me enough base.
Don't get pressured into anything, it's your money.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Depends on your budget but would probably be better to replace the current stock unit with a quality head unit. Also remember that things can get pretty expensive so you don't necessarily have to replace everything at once. I researched everything as far as possible. Bought an Android HU with a reverse cam, had that installed. Then a few months later bought quality speakers from Autostyle via Takealot and had that installed directly to the Android HU. Then later got myself a quality amp. Didn't bother with a subwoofer as at this stage I am past that. Quality speakers gives me enough base.
Don't get pressured into anything, it's your money.
That's bollocks.

You don't get BASS without a subwoofer. Different types of components ( woofers,mids,tweeters) gives you a different frequency.

Rabobi

Honorary Master
That's bollocks.

You don't get BASS without a subwoofer. Different types of components ( sub,mids,tweeters) gives you a different frequency.
You get what you pay for. If bass isnt your thing, then decent speakers are fine