help me upgrade my car audio

nazmo

Expert Member
get a nice rockford fosgate split system with a sub and amp.
quality doef doef ssss

though i got a quote recently as renault make crap audio systems and lets just say i put it on hold. rather import a IC

gamer16

Honorary Master
That's bollocks.

You don't get BASS without a subwoofer. Different types of components ( woofers,mids,tweeters) gives you a different frequency.

Yeah no it's entirely impossible to get bass from midrange speakers, only a subwoofer can do that, all midrange speakers have no bass, nevermind mind the thousands of stereos without subs that produce good clean bass.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Yeah no it's entirely impossible to get bass from midrange speakers, only a subwoofer can do that, all midrange speakers have no bass, nevermind mind the thousands of stereos without subs that produce good clean bass.
You are clearly a dumbo when it comes to audio.

gamer16

Honorary Master
You are clearly a dumbo when it comes to audio.

You've failed to note my sarcasm so let me put it bluntly.

What are you on about? Of course midrange drivers can produce bass, not as well as a subwoofer but well enough that most stereo systems are produced without them. Drivers in decent enclosures produce sufficient bass for the average Joe, such as OP.

ubercal

Expert Member

What are you on about? Of course midrange drivers can produce bass, not as well as a subwoofer but well enough that most stereo systems are produced without them. Drivers in decent enclosures produce sufficient bass for the average Joe, such as OP.

How dare you argue with our local resident audio expert ;)

The_Traveller

Expert Member

Sure, for the average joe , they may "think" they hearing bass, but it's not. So let's not misguide the ignorant (even further).

gamer16

Honorary Master
Sure, for the average joe , they may "think" they hearing bass, but it's not. So let's not misguide the ignorant (even further).

Although I agree with you.

The majority constitutes the norm.

Your argument is invalid.

thehuman

Expert Member
Most of us are happy with a 4 speaker system. We are happy with 100hz and up .
The OP could even get away with some speakers for the back and a 4 channel radio.

gamer16

Honorary Master
The OP could even get away with some speakers for the back and a 4 channel radio.

Indeed, which is exactly what I suggested on page 1.

If OP wants to add bass, he can easily do so with a dedicated amp and sub added along side.

nazmo

Expert Member

I agree with this. My polo, wife's tiguan now. neither has subs. but the sound is excellent. infact her old A1 had a sub and i preferred the polo's sound.... Some stock systems are so bad that just replacing the speakers and maybe a small amp can change audio from crap to perfectly adequate for a daily.

This does require that the "stock" mounts are reasonably big to channel bass though

gamer16

Honorary Master
I agree with this. My polo, wife's tiguan now. neither has subs. but the sound is excellent. infact her old A1 had a sub and i preferred the polo's sound.... Some stock systems are so bad that just replacing the speakers and maybe a small amp can change audio from crap to perfectly adequate for a daily.

This does require that the "stock" mounts are reasonably big to channel bass though

There are always adapters available to increase stock mounts to a larger size, 6" being the most common, but this will not help much unless you build a enclosure to spec for the speakers, this is most important in gaining sound quality especially bass and clean mid range.

joker08

Expert Member
I want bass but if I get a sub it will take a huge part of the already small boot space that my car has. Unless there is another way to install a sub without compromising boot space I will not get one installed.

c3n0byt3

A budget approach would be to move in steps.
At each step, see if you're happy with what you have before moving on.

1) Get a new headunit. Maybe something with 4 outputs.

2) Replace front speakers with splits (or coax if you have to) and use a spacer for the 6inch driver. Add some good deadening in the doors. Run the speakers off the headunit. Hertz used to make some good lower powered splits.

3) I'm not sure on the set up of the etios in the rear. Is it a sedan? Does the hatch have speaker mounts on the shelf? Fitment is key! Get some 6inch coaxials and run them off the headunit.

4) Purchase a 4 channel amp and run the whole lot off it.

joker08

Expert Member
Suggestions for a good hu ? Do the cheaper ones (r800 to r1200) have good sound quality?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
A budget approach would be to move in steps.
At each step, see if you're happy with what you have before moving on.

1) Get a new headunit. Maybe something with 4 outputs.

2) Replace front speakers with splits (or coax if you have to) and use a spacer for the 6inch driver. Add some good deadening in the doors. Run the speakers off the headunit. Hertz used to make some good lower powered splits.

3) I'm not sure on the set up of the etios in the rear. Is it a sedan? Does the hatch have speaker mounts on the shelf? Fitment is key! Get some 6inch coaxials and run them off the headunit.

4) Purchase a 4 channel amp and run the whole lot off it.
Here is a good example of a stepped upgrade plan.