Help Needed. Is it iBurst? [resolved - MTU]

MaNaeSWolf

I have a strange problem and am not sure if this could be related to iBurst or not.

Here is my set up so far.

Residing in Morning side, Durban.
Desktop modem attached to an omni-antenna.
Desktop modem is plugged into a Tenda Portable wireless AP/ Router for my wi-fi. (model No.:W300M)
a PC, Laptop, Windows Surface and 2 cells connected onto this network.
my latest internet speed test from mybroadband is
Download: 931 kbps
Upload: 290kbps
Latency 171ms

Here is my issue.

Downloading YouTube videos or streaming video/music is rather okay. it works, not lightning.
90% of all websites load just fine, except a few important ones.
One notably important website that I can not load is FNB, from either of the devices connected to the network. Even the FNB app from my tablet and cell will not connect.

What is up?
Is it maybe a firewall in my Tenda access point?
Or does FNB particularly hate iBurst?
All the other major bank websites work fine.

please try www.fnb.co.za and let me know if its just me.
Any help will be much appreciated

adam_g

Ping to fnb site on cmd prompt. Iburst is known for high latency so you will experience slow browsing at times.

MaNaeSWolf

Not really sure how to do that.
But I tried and . .

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),

Have not been able to get hold of FNB for over a week. my Latency according to most online speed tests is usually between 160 - 300 ms.

Why would FNB specifically not work?

It just seems odd it can load this http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars/ in under a min and not FNB 10 seconds later.

adam_g

You have packet loss it should be sent 4 received 4 lost 0 160-300ms is awfully high. But i tried to ping to fnb.co.za it seems to time out on my ping test :/ But the site loads fast on my dsl connection. it seems like because your latency is so high and the fnb site seems to be having issues its all working hand in hand and pretty much timing you out. Because the latency on dsl is so low the issue on the fnb site doesnt seem to affect us. Im sure if you try loading the site on a 3G connection like your phone it should load pretty fast as latency is between 20 and 100ms.

But after my long explanation i think the fnb site is at fault i guess lots of people are on the site and the server cant handle the amount of web traffic that is being directed through.

MaNaeSWolf

Thanks Adam. If I use my Phone on 3G, FNB does load.
Is there any way for me to improve my ping?
Or should I consider dumping iBurst?

Even my FNB Apps on Tablets and Phones dont load into the FNB through the iBurst.

Using the internet other than YouTube is actually really important for me.

Have I signed into a 2 year internet jail sentence now?

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Have you set the MTU on your router to 1392?

adam_g

Also you can try changing the DNS on the router to 8.8.8.8 primary and 4.4.4.4 secondary. Its googles dns servers it might just make things a little faster no harm in trying

MaNaeSWolf

ginggs - I have no Idea what a MTU is or does, but it works! :D
I still get a 100% packet loss if I ping them, but hey, at least fnb connects now.
For my information, what did I do?

adam_g - Will try changing the DNS a bit later, will let know what happens.

Thanks guys.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
ginggs - I have no Idea what a MTU is or does, but it works! :D
For my information, what did I do?
You adjusted your router's Maximum Transmission Unit (the largest packet that can be transmitted on the network without fragmentation) to match that of the iBurst network.

See How can my MTU settings improve iBurst performance?
http://www.iburst.co.za/neuvo.aspx?link=service_support_faqs

I still get a 100% packet loss if I ping them, but hey, at least fnb connects now.
This might be normal. Some people think not responsing to pings increases security.