Help! What hosepipe do you recommend?

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
I planted some tree's last month, and have been watering daily. So far nothing died yet, so thats good, despite my lack of gardening knowledge ;)

I've been through 2 different sets of hosepipe since I started though.
Nothing is driving over the hosepipe, its literally used 2 times a day - once in the morning, and once in the evening.

1st - Tramontina (blue) from One Day Only - Lasted about 1 week - kept cutting it down where it sprang leaks, and eventually gave up as it burst everywhere.

2nd - Anonymous green (lasted slightly longer, but now also springing leaks all over).

Any brands people can recommend that will last more than 1-2 weeks?

I'm in Cape Town, ideally want recommendations on something I can buy in Southern Suburbs or Deep South, or better yet, online, and will last a decent amount of time.

Please help, so I don't get hosed!

zophas

Expert Member
No name brand from Mica (I think) with fittings lasted over ten years. Fittings perished from the sun but hose still going strong. Roll it up loosely avoid sharp bends.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Are there any other factors involved? Like a dog chewing them or something?

<month sound quite improbable for a hose pipe under normal conditions
Soccer practice with spiked boots maybe? Rubber hose does not just magically get holes in it.

grim101

Forget any hose pipes you have bought. Go to your local hardware of Coop and buy yourself a black drag line.

My workers use it the whole day in sun and salt, and after 8 years they stopped the 4 ton forklift on it and it Burts. Just cut it and mend it.
e848f71e79df2a0e311fa3de81a2a3a5.jpg

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Are there any other factors involved? Like a dog chewing them or something?

<month sound quite improbable for a hose pipe under normal conditions
Nope.

Just normal use. I turn on the tap, I walk around watering, and turn off the tap.
Nothing is stepping, chewing or driving on the pipe.

Tap -> hose connector -> pipe -> spray attachment. Thats it.

Pipe has been bursting in random places. The tramontina reviews on takealot also have others saying the same thing. The 2nd hose pipe one I bought (different brand) also crapping out in much the same way.

Quite possible I have too much pressure - I have a 50mm inlet to the property (which costs a fortune in fixed costs, grr CPT...)

Will look at the cellfast - its just over the mountain so pretty close to me - https://www.cellfast.co.za/product/garden-hose-hobby-ats2/

or the gardena - https://www.builders.co.za/Garden-&-Pets/Watering-&-Irrigation/Hose-Pipes/Garden-Master-Heavy-Duty-Garden-Hose-Kit-4009-42-7/p/000000000000523162

As for the (over)watering. The garden centre said to water daily for the first few weeks.

Last edited:

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Those do look terrible though. Both of them look like they’re made of the same material as a balloon.

I’m also in the southern suburbs and have bought quite a few hose pipes without any of them breaking. Only reason I buy is because I’m always forgetting one on site or forgetting to take it to a site... then I just buy one to use when needed.

I choose the cheapest from builders/game/pick n pay and they work well. Some even stay out in the sun and haven’t given any issues yet.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Haven't seen ones with material like that before. Think you're just buying too cheap tbh.

The better ones have a mesh thing going - you can see it if the end points aren't on

1609678142112.png

Also for rolling them up use the same technique as for audio cables like so

Decent ones aren't likely to get damaged by pressure either. The fitting / connection to tap is likely to pop off first

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thats weird
My hosepipe is about 5 years old and still in tip top condition, brand spanking new with zero cuts, bruises, leaks etc

1609678749507.png