Herotel Sonic Wisp

davyb

I really think this ISP needs its own thread and where people can share their experience. I have been with Sonic Telecoms now Herotel Sonic since Sept 2019 and last year they were good to the point that I would recommend other people. Since December 2019 things just started to go down hill and with the lockdown it just became worse. It is impossible to do online gaming, on a 20Mbps and 10Mbps line I experience a drop in streaming quality and they do not understand the difference between Speed and Packet loss.

I can confirm that they do not adhere to best practise when it comes to wifi and thus they make their customers experience congestion, but when you lodge a complained they give you the run around with the same old excuses. I had technician at my house on 3 occasions and each time they confirm no issues on my side but yet they would always want to say it is things like that.

If my issues are resolved I will be the first to confirm this but for now please stay away from Herotel Sonic to avoid frustration.

MalcolmF

Expert Member
I have been with them since feb. Trash isp
I sent trace and on 4 hop u can see issue on their side

The tech said it was on my local network ....pethetic i tell you

I have logged probably over 100 tickets with this trash isp and they can't fix packetloss and latency

davyb

This is their modus operandi blaming you and your usage even though tracert shows something different.

davyb

I have been with them since feb. Trash isp
I sent trace and on 4 hop u can see issue on their side

The tech said it was on my local network ....pethetic i tell you

I have logged probably over 100 tickets with this trash isp and they can't fix packetloss and latency

Same experience on my side. Responded to a post on Facebook and so they contacted me and low and behold the first thing the Technician says I am hitting my maximum line capacity and need to upgrade line speed. I gave a straight forward response and said that the latency issue on my line occurs at my current 10Mbps line as well as when I was on my 20Mbps line and now no response. So exactly the same issue as you.

Dretastic06

Same experience on my side. Responded to a post on Facebook and so they contacted me and low and behold the first thing the Technician says I am hitting my maximum line capacity and need to upgrade line speed. I gave a straight forward response and said that the latency issue on my line occurs at my current 10Mbps line as well as when I was on my 20Mbps line and now no response. So exactly the same issue as you.
i think ISP's dont understand that its not about getting full speeds of fast speeds its about jitter, packet loss that makes the service unbearable especially if you want to play online games.

HartsockZA

We aim on our tiny network around 8ms via speed test and as low as possible. Not easy but yea i understand everyone's frustration regarding this problem. Also wireless internet. Sadly not all isp's understand the difference. I wish I could help everyone with an alternative but my network is tiny compared to the big boys. But happy to help with troubleshooting

davyb

We aim on our tiny network around 8ms via speed test and as low as possible. Not easy but yea i understand everyone's frustration regarding this problem. Also wireless internet. Sadly not all isp's understand the difference. I wish I could help everyone with an alternative but my network is tiny compared to the big boys. But happy to help with troubleshooting
I think this is what Herotel does, buy out smaller Providers and then screw the clients after take over.

HartsockZA

I think this is what Herotel does, buy out smaller Providers and then screw the clients after take over.
Yea maybe, but look I'm not planning on selling 0 even if they offer me and the community I help grow and support billions. For all intensive purposes we're here to help grow along side the community

davyb

Yea maybe, but look I'm not planning on selling 0 even if they offer me and the community I help grow and support billions. For all intensive purposes we're here to help grow along side the community
What wisp are you?

HartsockZA

I think everyone has the same model it just doesn't seem to go well with the bigger guys. But yes Prim0 is right, that's me. Anyways you're welcome to give me a shout happy to troubleshoot

VandaL

Can 100% agree with the OP. I've been with Airband Connect for just over 2 years now and for the most part have been pretty much flawless in terms of service and just general connection. Until around December 2019 my connection has taken a nose dive in terms of quality. Latency issues, packetloss, random disconnects, massive 2000ms ping spikes. Sure I get my full 15/8 mbit 100% of the day but that's not the point.

While the support level of Airband has remained top notch, their hands are now tied and the issues I am experiencing they have little to no control over and just have to forward this information to Herotel who seem to give less then zero ****s.

I never bothered to look for another WISP over these two years but **** Herotel I am just over all the issues, I looked last week and found that Bitco have coverage in my area and are coming through next week to install(hopefully all goes well with LOS).

It's cheaper and double the speed and haven't seen any bad information about them, they are a tier 1 provider and not just some random reseller.

TLDR: If you are a gamer steer clear of Herotel at all costs.

davyb

Can 100% agree with the OP. I've been with Airband Connect for just over 2 years now and for the most part have been pretty much flawless in terms of service and just general connection. Until around December 2019 my connection has taken a nose dive in terms of quality. Latency issues, packetloss, random disconnects, massive 2000ms ping spikes. Sure I get my full 15/8 mbit 100% of the day but that's not the point.

While the support level of Airband has remained top notch, their hands are now tied and the issues I am experiencing they have little to no control over and just have to forward this information to Herotel who seem to give less then zero ****s.

I never bothered to look for another WISP over these two years but **** Herotel I am just over all the issues, I looked last week and found that Bitco have coverage in my area and are coming through next week to install(hopefully all goes well with LOS).

It's cheaper and double the speed and haven't seen any bad information about them, they are a tier 1 provider and not just some random reseller.

TLDR: If you are a gamer steer clear of Herotel at all costs.
Exactly only thing is Bitco don't cover me

HartsockZA

I'll be honest, if I could I would. Also for small wisp to gain access to a prim proper tower is like 5-10k per hop. So we rely on home owners to help us "go the distance" thus far people are pretty happy to help us grow.

MalcolmF

Expert Member
So this WISP started to trottle on a weekly basis without any of the clients signing or agreeing to it
there FUP was like any other isp . you go over the limit you get throttled .
Now if you update one game or DL a game u get throttled

I questioned it and asked where i sign up to get weekly throttle . they ignored me as of this post
I joined them when they were Sonictelecoms . this suport lady tell me cuz they changed names this is fair of them doing something like that. I didnt sign up to get throttled weekly

[16:35, 10/28/2020] Number removed : We are no longer Sonic but Herotel Sonic

[16:35, 10/28/2020] Malcolm: Sorry even if u change name the contract still stand

Last edited:

davyb

So this WISP started to trottle on a weekly basis without any of the clients signing or agreeing to it
there FUP was like any other isp . you go over the limit you get throttled .
Now if you update one game or DL a game u get throttled

I questioned it and asked where i sign up to get weekly throttle . they ignored me as of this post
I joined them when they were Sonictelecoms . this suport lady tell me cuz they changed names this is fair of them doing something like that. I didnt sign up to get throttled weekly

[16:35, 10/28/2020] Number removed : We are no longer Sonic but Herotel Sonic

[16:35, 10/28/2020] Malcolm: Sorry even if u change name the contract still stand
People must just stay away and never be desperate enough to take them as a ISP.

HartsockZA

Well good news from me, we signed our first tower group and are now actively looking for spots in the east of Pretoria 20 homes needed per area. So at least we getting there on our end. Sorry to hear whatsup on that end of the world I hope we still get to that point in offering something