High Idle After Replace ICV

zizo911

Executive Member
Good Day

I was having erratic idling issues and many people mentioned that it was the ICV, I then went to GW and bought the replacement part. I put it in, and also had the battery disconnected for over an hour. I then started the car, and the revs just kept climbing higher and higher, it eventually went to 5000RPM before I cut the engine. I then put the old ICV in and then the erratic idling continued.
What can I do to fix the high idle?

OPEL Corsa 1997 1.3i

Thanks.

Fury05

Expert Member
Good Day

I was having erratic idling issues and many people mentioned that it was the ICV, I then went to GW and bought the replacement part. I put it in, and also had the battery disconnected for over an hour. I then started the car, and the revs just kept climbing higher and higher, it eventually went to 5000RPM before I cut the engine. I then put the old ICV in and then the erratic idling continued.
What can I do to fix the high idle?

OPEL Corsa 1997 1.3i

Thanks.

Check the throttle position sensor. That's what my car did when I had my Corsa. No mechanic could figure it out cost thousands to look at. Bought one at Goldwagen for R250.

Edit: it's at the back of the throttle body.

zizo911

Executive Member
Check the throttle position sensor. That's what my car did when I had my Corsa. No mechanic could figure it out cost thousands to look at. Bought one at Goldwagen for R250.

Thank u. Went to GW and they didnt have it. They only had the MAP sensor.

Is it near the ICV?

Fury05

Expert Member
ImageUploadedByMyBroadband1451741909.531908.jpg

That's what it looks like. It's on the back part of the throttle body. Where your ICV is situated it's around that area.

Fury05

Expert Member
Thank u. Went to GW and they didnt have it. They only had the MAP sensor.

Is it near the ICV?

GM sells it for about R400 if I remember correctly. See if you can get it there on Monday.

airborne

Honorary Master

TPS is normally opposite to where the accelerator cable connects the throttle, it has to be because it measures the position of the throttle butterfly which the accelerator cable controls.

Both the TPS and ICV are in the throttle body which isn't very big, they are normally the only parts in that area connected to the wiring loom, you obviously know where the ICV is, won't be too hard to find the TPS.

Playing the "just replace the sensor game" can cost you a fortune and still not fix anything. I replaced the ICV, TPS and crank sensor and still didn't solve an issue with idle, luckily I had a donor vehicle to swop parts with but still a huge pita. Perhaps try find a good mechanic who knows Opel to take it too.

Last point is Goldwagen spares are generally of a very high standard but I have heard from a few people that the Opel sensors they sell are not recommended/don't work well, original new/2hnd the way to go, original new does cost an arm and a leg.

Fury05

Expert Member
TPS is normally opposite to where the accelerator cable connects the throttle, it has to be because it measures the position of the throttle butterfly which the accelerator cable controls.

Both the TPS and ICV are in the throttle body which isn't very big, they are normally the only parts in that area connected to the wiring loom, you obviously know where the ICV is, won't be too hard to find the TPS.

Playing the "just replace the sensor game" can cost you a fortune and still not fix anything. I replaced the ICV, TPS and crank sensor and still didn't solve an issue with idle, luckily I had a donor vehicle to swop parts with but still a huge pita. Perhaps try find a good mechanic who knows Opel to take it too.

Last point is Goldwagen spares are generally of a very high standard but I have heard from a few people that the Opel sensors they sell are not recommended/don't work well, original new/2hnd the way to go, original new does cost an arm and a leg.
The one from goldwagen tends to give issues in a few months. If it is that the sensor is problematic he can always buy an original later on which isnt too much more. But if he can get one to test fron another corsa even better. Quick job to remove a replace. Im no expert at all, just speaking from experience.

zizo911

Executive Member
Any tips on getting to remove it?

It's in a horrible position and I can't get to the screws...

Fury05

Expert Member
Any tips on getting to remove it?

It's in a horrible position and I can't get to the screws...

ImageUploadedByMyBroadband1451805508.274164.jpg

Get a set of these. Cheap from any hardware store. It will take 2 minutes or so to get the torx screw out. Work carefully, I once lost the screw somewhere in the engine bay.