Higher speed than ISP provided

BearCruz

Hi all,

So I took up fibre in my new house, signed up with fibre (first time fibre user), bought myself a top of the line Linksys router and set it up last night.

I did a speedtest on ooklas website and was a little bit shocked at the result. Reasoning is that I opted in for 10/5 line (openserve) and the speed test was hitting 40 download and 20 upload. Am I just lucky or is there something I'm forgetting?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Hi all,

So I took up fibre in my new house, signed up with fibre (first time fibre user), bought myself a top of the line Linksys router and set it up last night.

I did a speedtest on ooklas website and was a little bit shocked at the result. Reasoning is that I opted in for 10/5 line (openserve) and the speed test was hitting 40 download and 20 upload. Am I just lucky or is there something I'm forgetting?
Wait till the bill comes and see what they charge you for?

Or perhaps phone them and ask what's going on as they will probably bill you for the higher package

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi all,

Openserve is very strict on keeping speeds as close to what line speed you have unlike other providers that usually bursts a few Mbps over the line speed.

If you said you have a 10/5 line and you are getting 40/20 that means you are on the wrong line speed. See what the ISP bills you for and what is on the invoice. They might end off billing you for a 40/20 when they realize their mistake.

STORMERSFAN

Hi all,

My friend is with rocketnet..and has a 20/2..he consistently gets between 30 and 35 download..I have tested this myself lol..rocketnet still billing him for 20/2..does it have anything to do with contention ratio?only 4 pp in complex have fibre(out of 40 units)needless to say im jealous:)

irBosOtter

Expert Member
My friend is with rocketnet..and has a 20/2..he consistently gets between 30 and 35 download..I have tested this myself lol..rocketnet still billing him for 20/2..does it have anything to do with contention ratio?only 4 pp in complex have fibre(out of 40 units)needless to say im jealous:)
If your friend gets anything over 22Mbps on a 20/2 then he is clearly not on a 20/2 line....

STORMERSFAN

If your friend gets anything over 22Mbps on a 20/2 then he is clearly not on a 20/2 line....
He definitely is..according to the invoices from rocketnet..theres clearly a mistake somewhere..but hes not complaining lol..neither would I..btw thats on.WiFi..we havent even tested wired.which I presume would be quicker?#long may it last lol

cavedog

Honorary Master
Probably Vumatel which has a slight burst over allocated speed. Openserve on the other hand is very strict with keeping to allocated line speeds that why most Openserve 100Mbps lines will see like 98Mbps because of tcp overhead pushing it to 100Mbps.

Frogfoot,Vumatel and Octotel is a bit more lenient

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Probably Vumatel which has a slight burst over allocated speed. Openserve on the other hand is very strict with keeping to allocated line speeds that why most Openserve 100Mbps lines will see like 98Mbps because of tcp overhead pushing it to 100Mbps.

Yes on Vumatel without a pppoe connection one usually gets between 20Mbps and 22Mbps download on a 20Mb line
But ja, OP and Stormersfan's friend is clearly not on a 20/2 line if they get 40Mbps download, no burst is going to cause that.

It's a case of do you wait and see what they bill you for or do you phone in to find out...

irBosOtter

Expert Member
He definitely is..according to the invoices from rocketnet..theres clearly a mistake somewhere..but hes not complaining lol..neither would I..btw thats on.WiFi..we havent even tested wired.which I presume would be quicker?#long may it last lol
And that is the reason I left rocketnet (although their network was better than Cool Ideas, felt like I moved back to ADSL when I moved over to Cool Ideas, speed is fine, everything just loads slower, the "snappy" feel when pages loaded was gone)

They accidentally billed me for a 4/1 while I was on a 20/2.... 3 months later got a big bill to say I owe them. Paid it and moved to Cool Ideas.

STORMERSFAN

And that is the reason I left rocketnet (although their network was better than Cool Ideas, felt like I moved back to ADSL when I moved over to Cool Ideas, speed is fine, everything just loads slower, the "snappy" feel when pages loaded was gone)

They accidentally billed me for a 4/1 while I was on a 20/2.... 3 months later got a big bill to say I owe them. Paid it and moved to Cool Ideas.
Are they allowed to do that seeing as it was their mistake..what would they.bill my.friend for seeing.as u.dont.get.a 30 or 35 meg line..lol

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Are they allowed to do that seeing as it was their mistake..what would they.bill my.friend for seeing.as u.dont.get.a 30 or 35 meg line..lol
Ja it was their mistake but I did sign up for a 20/2 so guess it's normal for them to want that money even if it was their system that was the cause.

Perhaps your friend is on a 50/5

But he obviusly signed up for a 20/2 or 20/20, so they should not expect him to pay for anything more if they made a mistake on their side.

STORMERSFAN

Yes on vumatel

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
I think it's fairly normal to see higher speeds. I for one have upgraded my speed once from my original signup package and on both line speeds I had it ran almost 10% faster than advertised.

Koosvanwyk

This is on a 100/100 line over wifi. Has been like this since I signed up (vumatel) more than a year ago. It is normal to get more than line speed, but significantly more seems like a error on ISP side
Anyone with a moral compas would point it out to the ISP.
Screenshot_20190118-214223_Speedtest.jpg

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Vumatel are one of the few FNOs who allow a +-10% burst on lines. The way their COO put it when asked, and I'm paraphrasing, "people are so used to seeing less than they pay for, wouldn't it be awesome if you actually got your line speed and more when you run a speedtest?" So to account for TCP headers and whatnot, they give users a little more.

But anything over 10% is probably a mis-provisioned line. I'd contact the ISP and let them know.

STORMERSFAN

Vumatel are one of the few FNOs who allow a +-10% burst on lines. The way their COO put it when asked, and I'm paraphrasing, "people are so used to seeing less than they pay for, wouldn't it be awesome if you actually got your line speed and more when you run a speedtest?" So to account for TCP headers and whatnot, they give users a little more.

But anything over 10% is probably a mis-provisioned line. I'd contact the ISP and let them know.
Or wait until they pick it up lol

BearCruz

Thanks for the input guys. Thought I was bei g seriously dumb or something. Nonetheless will see what ISP says.