Holiday Recommendation (Bucket list)

Asgard85

Hey Guys

So I have traveled a bit the last few years and the Wife & I would like to plan 1 last big vacation before we start planning for kids. I can honestly say there is not one country I have not enjoyed but would like to go somewhere I have never been / attend an event. County's I have visited - UK, France, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Iceland, Thailand, Malawi.

My current top 3 considerations are:

Japan (Attend summer Olympics)
Germany (Berlin Marathon & October Fest)
New York

The only real issue is the time of the year which is limited to the beginning of August (can use 6 days), end of September (can use 6 days) or December (basically unlimited leave).

Any other recommendations ?

Thanks
If you were to do Germany I would suggest chucking Prague in there too. It's an easy train trip from Munich or Berlin and is very cool and reasonably priced if you are savvy. We've been in summer and over Christmas and enjoyed both immensely. We are fighting the urge to go back as it seems every time we want to plan a holiday it comes to mind again!

poffle

Executive Member
Japan Japan Japan for as long as your budget can allow! Especially in December cause its Winter!
Tokyo is an insanely cool city. weirdest **** to be seen (check robot restaurant), check out the otaku culture in akhiba.
Hit up the ski slopes in Hokkaido prefecture, also super renowned for their produce (milk/beef/fish/dairy).
Onsens in the snow.
Mount Fuji.
Incredible culture + history.
Get a JR pass and travel the country on the shinkansen (bullet train).
Awesome japanese whiskey tours.
Izakaya joints.
Of course the incredible food.
Kyoto.

Yeah i need to go back........................

Polly101

Expert Member
Japan Japan Japan for as long as your budget can allow! Especially in December cause its Winter!
Tokyo is an insanely cool city. weirdest **** to be seen (check robot restaurant), check out the otaku culture in akhiba.
Hit up the ski slopes in Hokkaido prefecture, also super renowned for their produce (milk/beef/fish/dairy).
Onsens in the snow.
Mount Fuji.
Incredible culture + history.
Get a JR pass and travel the country on the shinkansen (bullet train).
Awesome japanese whiskey tours.
Izakaya joints.
Of course the incredible food.
Kyoto.

Yeah i need to go back........................
what's the english understanding like? My japanese is well.. non-existent

poffle

Executive Member
what's the english understanding like? My japanese is well.. non-existent
Getting around is easy, nearly all the signs are in english, most places have english menu's if you ask. The japanese speak very little so dont expect to be having many conversations but it didn't hamper the trip at all, makes it more fun!

Also helps that there is soooo much information online about it that if you really need to find out how to get from X to Y, there is a link somewhere.

jun_tao

Went to Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima last year. Amazing places. As poffle says, most signs are in English. Train stations also had english speaking booths. And google maps works amazingly over there, tells you what train to take, how many stops you need, even what track you need to go on for that specific train.

L-Dog

Think I have narrowed it down to 2 options:

Japan - August (Olympics)
New York - End September
Japan - December (Longer travel & Ski)
New York - December

Leaning towards New York September or Japan December

bromster

Expert Member
My best friend was in New York in winter when it was snowing and it changed her life. A week was nowhere near enough to get the full New York experience though.

bokka1

Expert Member
I have been to Thailand plenty of times, have visited quite a few other countries but if I was you and you are still childless I will go to the Oktoberfest.

It is the best party in the world, nothing beats the experience.

I would spend the whole 6 days in Munchen, it is an awesome place during the fest.

If you can add a few days then go to Prague, it is fun, cheap and beautiful. We had 19 days for our holiday and we did Munchen to Amsterdam to Prague to Bratislava to Budapest. Prague was my favourite place by far after the Oktoberfest.

I am definitely returning to the Oktoberfest.

diabolus

Executive Member
Living in europe and having the opportunity to travel a ton in EU and US and having colleuguese that equally travel a ton; the one country that everyone has said was amazing and where i actually saw these same people return multiple times , Japan . Now i have not been there myself, so i can't actually comment on that, but it is interesting to note.

As for NYC , i did that, i find the US is pretty expensive when it comes to accomodation, museums and getting around. Domestic flights across the US can easily be more than the international flight. So keep that in mind.

Europe is pretty small in comparison, so it's quite easy to do multiple cities, i also recommend Prague as a city to include if you go anywhere near Munich/Berlin . Also then you might as well go to Nuremburg . I personally was not super impressed with Berlin myself , other than it's very modern cosmopolitan city with a ton of museums (as opposed to Prague which is cobblestone,medieval, castle city)

L-Dog

Met with a few mates and octoberfest and Berlin marathon is on the cards for the next trip in a couple of years. If I hit US will probably only do new york and one other city nearby. Japan will probably explore most of the country with the train. Still very undecided but leaning towards a summer vacation.

bokka1

Expert Member
Met with a few mates and octoberfest and Berlin marathon is on the cards for the next trip in a couple of years. If I hit US will probably only do new york and one other city nearby. Japan will probably explore most of the country with the train. Still very undecided but leaning towards a summer vacation.
I did my Oktoberfest trip when I was 47 so there is no rush.

Polly101

Expert Member
since this is a holiday thread - anyone got any input for a trip to the "southern" US states - Kentucky / Texas / Georgia?

lived666

Executive Member
This really depends on your lifestyle - if you enjoy cultural events, museums, shows and some shopping, then New York hands down and if you want a bit of excitement throw in either Vegas or a lot closer Atlantic City (over the weekend only, during the week its a ghost town).

If you like outdoors and a bit of a challenge Nepal is mindblowing, there are treks such as Annapurna and EBC - a bit challenging, you need to be very walking fit but awesome.

Method

Executive Member
Was in South America for 3 weeks in December (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay & Paraguay)...no zika virus
How was Uruguay? Would you live there? :p I kinda looked at immigrating there maybe one day. Small country, only 3.5mil people, no quarrels with anyone. Want a peaceful place lol.

L-Dog

Peru (machu picchu) also seems like a good option but the flights seem to be an issue. Anyone been there ?

ice_cubes

Executive Member
How was Uruguay? Would you live there? :p I kinda looked at immigrating there maybe one day. Small country, only 3.5mil people, no quarrels with anyone. Want a peaceful place lol.
beautiful, clean, quiet & very cheap