Home Automation - Smartkit

YIp - I recently got the Sky, they sold it to me at a reduced rate because my original Sensibo stopped working (although it seems to be working again).

Prefer the Sky though as its USB powered, vs battery powered.
The only thing I would like though would be if they made a little remote that interacts with the sensibo. Sure, you can still use the original aircon remote - but then the state of the app isn't correct. If you have people staying over it's not convenient for them to use your phone.

So having a dedicated Sensibo remote that maybe interacts with the Sky via bluetooth, wifi, or RF would be cool.
 
I was going to try and make one of these with an arduino and an IR transmitter...
 
The only thing I would like though would be if they made a little remote that interacts with the sensibo. Sure, you can still use the original aircon remote - but then the state of the app isn't correct. If you have people staying over it's not convenient for them to use your phone.

So having a dedicated Sensibo remote that maybe interacts with the Sky via bluetooth, wifi, or RF would be cool.
It looks like the Sky picks up the original remote... my aircon status is usually correct, it doesn't require syncing often.

25c10378139855958b512ea7e2761960.jpg
 
It looks like the Sky picks up the original remote... my aircon status is usually correct, it doesn't require syncing often.

25c10378139855958b512ea7e2761960.jpg
Interesting, maybe the sky is also "listening" for IR signals from the original remote. Mine may not be working because the Sensibo isn't in a place where the IR remote would hit both it and my AC. Will test it out.
 
Interesting, maybe the sky is also "listening" for IR signals from the original remote. Mine may not be working because the Sensibo isn't in a place where the IR remote would hit both it and my AC. Will test it out.

Only noticed the above because of Home-Assistant - I saw the graph kept changing colours, so investigated.

Mine is on the opposite wall to the aircon, so also misses signals - the plan is to move it to under the aircon, but need to find a 3m usb cable.
 
Only noticed the above because of Home-Assistant - I saw the graph kept changing colours, so investigated.

Mine is on the opposite wall to the aircon, so also misses signals - the plan is to move it to under the aircon, but need to find a 3m usb cable.

Cool, I'll have a look in HA.
 
Does anyone have the issue during loadshedding, when the power comes on the my HA server is up before my LAN is available - so all my devices show as unavailable on HA until I restart HA - then it's all good again.

Not sure what the best way to correct this is though.
 
Yip - all my stuff runs in docker containers, so it's a real pain in the arse, I basically have to restart the entire server once its up.

Since they say loadshedding is going to be ongoing for an extended period - I'll spend time on the weekend figuring it out.
 
Yip - all my stuff runs in docker containers, so it's a real pain in the arse, I basically have to restart the entire server once its up.
Mine also in docker yeah - hopefully getting UPS or something soon. I've posted on the HA community forum, maybe someone has an idea there.
 
I moved my openhab to an Atom intel pc, which is now on my inverter setup. So don't have to deal with restarting it all the time, and it is available for battery powered devices like garagedoors ect during loadshedding.
 
Yip - all my stuff runs in docker containers, so it's a real pain in the arse, I basically have to restart the entire server once its up.

Since they say loadshedding is going to be ongoing for an extended period - I'll spend time on the weekend figuring it out.

I get around this by running my docker containers inside a bhyve VM on a freenas server with 192GB of RAM... fkn thing takes like 10 minutes to POST and boot!
 
I get around this by running my docker containers inside a bhyve VM on a freenas server with 192GB of RAM... fkn thing takes like 10 minutes to POST and boot!
Ma se moer... ok.. so either get a beast of a machine or get a pentium 1 that takes an hour to boot up. Got it :)
 
Does anyone have the issue during loadshedding, when the power comes on the my HA server is up before my LAN is available - so all my devices show as unavailable on HA until I restart HA - then it's all good again.

Not sure what the best way to correct this is though.

A colleague of mine had this problem. He solved it by purchasing one of those Ellies fridge surge protectors. These stop the power from going to the fridge for three minutes after power comes back on to give the grid time to stabilize -- or in this case, time for your LAN to come back online.

As an added bonus it gives a bit of surge protection too and isn't too expensive.

https://www.hirschs.co.za/ellies-fridge-safe-voltage-protector-feafg16

EDIT: in case it isn't clear -- put your Raspberry Pi or Server on this plug to give it time to wait for the rest to catch up ;)
 
Last edited:
A colleague of mine had this problem. He solved it by purchasing one of those Ellies fridge surge protectors. These stop the power from going to the fridge for three minutes after power comes back on to give the grid time to stabilize -- or in this case, time for your LAN to come back online.

As an added bonus it gives a bit of surge protection too and isn't too expensive.

https://www.hirschs.co.za/ellies-fridge-safe-voltage-protector-feafg16
Ah, that's a quick and easy fix. Will give it a go.
 
Amazing how they found the smallish gap in the market - because it's really just a logitec harmony remote but focusing on aircons.

Well thats what i did. I programmed in some AC commands to the harmony. Used the home assistant thermostat component + some Xiaomi termp sensor and thats running the temperature in my house.
 
Made a li'l dashboard in AppDaemon for my wife to use on her phone :D

1553017525282.png
 
Yip - all my stuff runs in docker containers, so it's a real pain in the arse, I basically have to restart the entire server once its up.

Since they say loadshedding is going to be ongoing for an extended period - I'll spend time on the weekend figuring it out.

So delay the container?

Oddly I don’t have this problem because my network is up instantly...how can that be slower than HA I just don’t understand.

Only thing I delay is Letsencrypt.

Unraid array takes a moment or three to go online before starting Docker which is enough I guess.
 
I see Geewiz is making a quick buck.

https://www.takealot.com/wifi-smart-plug-16a/PLID52091507

I had a similar idea for the bloody mosquito machines that only have SA plugs as an option but was trying think of a more elegant way to use my spare Basics.

The Pow makes a lot of sense, so I was wondering those 2-3 plug "splitters" with the direct plugin 3-prong on the back and 2 or 3 plug on the front if they would have enough space inside to drop the board in.

Or failing that a good old multiplug that isn't plastic welded together.
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X