Home Automation - Smartkit

No - I'm aware of the WiFi issues from before, I've even setup a WiFi network with open access.

Only way I can currently connect to it is by putting it into WiFi configuration mode.

My Sonoffs which had Wifi problems were actually fine as long as I powered them using the 3.3v from the programmer (I.e. From my laptop's USB port).

They gave problems as soon as I ran them from the mains (these were basics).

So perhaps try powering them directly without mains?
 
Where can I find a Shelly RGBW controller?

I want to run 25m of RGBW or RGBWW led strip lights and I'm struggling to find options to control it and not have light loss.
 
Where can I find a Shelly RGBW controller?

I want to run 25m of RGBW or RGBWW led strip lights and I'm struggling to find options to control it and not have light loss.
Desperate? I can bring a few in - we're busy certifying Shelly products. I'll just request more "samples" - should be a few days.
 
Desperate? I can bring a few in - we're busy certifying Shelly products. I'll just request more "samples" - should be a few days.

Obviously asking the world, do you have any rough idea on timelines before you can officially stock the Shelly products? For light switches they tick all the boxes I need in terms of keeping my backwards SO happy that she still has actual switches on the wall :p
 
Obviously asking the world, do you have any rough idea on timelines before you can officially stock the Shelly products? For light switches they tick all the boxes I need in terms of keeping my backwards SO happy that she still has actual switches on the wall :p
What do their switches look like that you're referring to?
 
What do their switches look like that you're referring to?

They're not switches, they're like the Sonoff in so much as they're in line items... but they support switching of a Live wire so for installations like the majority of SA home, you can put the Shelly in the ceiling and just splice it into the Live and Neutral circuits, and the standard switch in the wall will work as per normal.

https://shelly.cloud/shelly1-open-source/
 
They're not switches, they're like the Sonoff in so much as they're in line items... but they support switching of a Live wire so for installations like the majority of SA home, you can put the Shelly in the ceiling and just splice it into the Live and Neutral circuits, and the standard switch in the wall will work as per normal.

https://shelly.cloud/shelly1-open-source/
That's interesting, found this wiring diagram:
1553583483616.png
Does this then mean that even if the light switch is off, I can still switch the light on via Shelly?
 
They're not switches, they're like the Sonoff in so much as they're in line items... but they support switching of a Live wire so for installations like the majority of SA home, you can put the Shelly in the ceiling and just splice it into the Live and Neutral circuits, and the standard switch in the wall will work as per normal.

https://shelly.cloud/shelly1-open-source/
Also apparently they are physically small so easier to get into tight spaces.
 
Yup... The switch acts merely as a toggle from what I understand.

Seems pretty cool.
I wonder how you'd switch the light off at the switchif the switch is in the off position and the Shelly is used to switch the light on.

You'd end up with light switches in the wrong up/down positions I guess.
 
Seems pretty cool.
I wonder how you'd switch the light off at the switchif the switch is in the off position and the Shelly is used to switch the light on.

You'd end up with light switches in the wrong up/down positions I guess.

I suppose it depends on exactly how it reads that aspect, and also how your switches behave. Mine don't have an On/Off position so it would work for me quite nicely actually.
 
I suppose it depends on exactly how it reads that aspect, and also how your switches behave. Mine don't have an On/Off position so it would work for me quite nicely actually.
Ah, what switches do you have?
 
Would be really cool to see how that interacts with the Shelly. It may just be the perfect solution to change without confusing the SO or guests.
Thats my intention really... I think I'm gonna do my 3 way switch first and see how it behaves.... If it works as expected, then every switch in the house will get a Shelly1 in the mix
 
I just want to do my two outside patios (both two way switches) - so tired of turning them on and off.
 
Thats my intention really... I think I'm gonna do my 3 way switch first and see how it behaves.... If it works as expected, then every switch in the house will get a Shelly1 in the mix
I have a few T1s around the house, and they work well - but part of me (not so much the wife even) misses the tactile feel of an actual switch. Especially switching the light on/off in the dark, it's easier to go by touch of an actual switch.
 
It looks like you can order from Shelly directly, maybe we can order a few to test and then decide from there if it's worth the Smartkit guys bringing them in on a regular basis?

Ordering 4 costs 63 Euro including DHL shipping. About R250 each.

Edit: Plus there may be VAT/duties as well, thinking about it.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X