Possibly I could fit it behind the switch - they're quite small.
This is what I'm hoping - I managed to get a Sonoff Basic into the switch box - but broke off the button while doing it.
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
Possibly I could fit it behind the switch - they're quite small.
Yeah, that's what I thought - that's why you're guinea-pigging ppl.
How would you access a live (unswitched) cable in your ceiling, however?
Still looking at the best way to switch high-current appliances (16A or more) ... anyone got suggestions?
You could use a sonoff/shelly unit to switch one of these relays, up to 30A 230VStill looking at the best way to switch high-current appliances (16A or more) ... anyone got suggestions?
Ah yes, that is the problem.I don't know - the load shedding caused havoc with my automation at homeMade the wife quite grumpy when stuff that usually worked by itself no longer worked at all
![]()
You could use a sonoff/shelly unit to switch one of these relays, up to 30A 230V
http://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=14M3872

Aint this the truth!I don't know - the load shedding caused havoc with my automation at homeMade the wife quite grumpy when stuff that usually worked by itself no longer worked at all
![]()
I resorted to a script so that if things don't come up properly after loadshedding my wife can just tell google to "Run HA restart", and a reboot fixed everything.Aint this the truth!
I literally moved openhab/nodered/mqtt/influxdb and things on to my MinnowBoard Turbot (like raspberry, but Atom based) on the inverter. Also moved router+wifi-ap to inverter.
Alarm battery was fine, replaced that somewhere last year.
Had to replace batteries for Garage doors, they were dead.
After all that, most things stabalised. Had to disable the pihole dns servers, that also caused issues and it uses too much ram to put it on to the MinnowBoard Turbot.
Must admit, wife was also very upset about the stuff going wonkers with loadshedding.
Ah yes, that is the problem.
I also had some glitches, but hopefully it's a bit more resilient now. You should be thanking Eskom for helping us with Disaster Recover!
View attachment 637800

I resorted to a script so that if things don't come up properly after loadshedding my wife can just tell google to "Run HA restart", and a reboot fixed everything.
My issue is/was the order in which things come back online, including docker containers. I have quite a bit of work to do by adding all my containers to a docker compose file and look at the best way of backing up/deploying changes.
Feels like soon I'll be sitting in change control meetings with my wife to peer review my pull requests in github before I can deploy![]()
Interesting. Will this be coming soon?Wait for the Shelly HD at 32/40A?
That looks interesting, although I'd be more inclined to use non-HA tools. Sticking to more generic docker stuff that I can apply elsewhere.My network is a balls up to keep running during loadhsedding - I have multiple switches in the roof - then switches at various key points on the wall.
Then my entire management system runs on a Gen8 server, including PiHole, which also functions as the DHCP server - which is a complete balls up as it takes long to start after loadshedding, so nothing works until its up.
Going to rethink the system soon - maybe move PiHole to a Pi at least
Was just googling adding docker management to HA, I'm going to try it over the weekend, that way I can trigger them all with automations in specific orders, based on specific conditions (like is the LAN folder shared, if so - start SABNZB, once SABNZB is up - start Sonarr, etc)
https://philhawthorne.com/ha-docker...t-to-monitor-start-or-stop-docker-containers/
This is no jokeI resorted to a script so that if things don't come up properly after loadshedding my wife can just tell google to "Run HA restart", and a reboot fixed everything.
My issue is/was the order in which things come back online, including docker containers. I have quite a bit of work to do by adding all my containers to a docker compose file and look at the best way of backing up/deploying changes.
Feels like soon I'll be sitting in change control meetings with my wife to peer review my pull requests in github before I can deploy![]()
Only one solution, we'll have to take care of each other's homes if one of us kicks the bucket. Note, take care of each other's homes...not our widowed wives.This is no joke
My wife said to me "If you drop down dead, who do I speak to to help me operate all this ****" the other day
was just gonna say... pics or gtfoOnly one solution, we'll have to take care of each other's homes if one of us kicks the bucket. Note, take care of each other's homes...not our widowed wives.
This is no joke
My wife said to me "If you drop down dead, who do I speak to to help me operate all this ****" the other day
Then my entire management system runs on a Gen8 server
Its not that simple, unless you have a couple of light bulbs.the most they should need to do is unplug your central hub. then everything should become "dumb" but still function. If it becomes worse than it did before you started automation, then you have been doing something wrong.