Home Automation - Smartkit

How would you access a live (unswitched) cable in your ceiling, however?

In my case, I'm have a 3 way switch, for different banks of light in the large open plan space... so I will just splice it into the lives going down to the switch basically. It might make the wiring in the ceiling a bit more complicated, but I can deal with that if it means I just have a switch on the wall that works...
 
Still looking at the best way to switch high-current appliances (16A or more) ... anyone got suggestions?
 
I don't know - the load shedding caused havoc with my automation at home :p Made the wife quite grumpy when stuff that usually worked by itself no longer worked at all :D
Ah yes, that is the problem.
I also had some glitches, but hopefully it's a bit more resilient now. You should be thanking Eskom for helping us with Disaster Recover!

You could use a sonoff/shelly unit to switch one of these relays, up to 30A 230V

http://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=14M3872
1553596884644.png
 
I don't know - the load shedding caused havoc with my automation at home :p Made the wife quite grumpy when stuff that usually worked by itself no longer worked at all :D
Aint this the truth!

I literally moved openhab/nodered/mqtt/influxdb and things on to my MinnowBoard Turbot (like raspberry, but Atom based) on the inverter. Also moved router+wifi-ap to inverter.
Alarm battery was fine, replaced that somewhere last year.
Had to replace batteries for Garage doors, they were dead.

After all that, most things stabalised. Had to disable the pihole dns servers, that also caused issues and it uses too much ram to put it on to the MinnowBoard Turbot.

Must admit, wife was also very upset about the stuff going wonkers with loadshedding.
 
Aint this the truth!

I literally moved openhab/nodered/mqtt/influxdb and things on to my MinnowBoard Turbot (like raspberry, but Atom based) on the inverter. Also moved router+wifi-ap to inverter.
Alarm battery was fine, replaced that somewhere last year.
Had to replace batteries for Garage doors, they were dead.

After all that, most things stabalised. Had to disable the pihole dns servers, that also caused issues and it uses too much ram to put it on to the MinnowBoard Turbot.

Must admit, wife was also very upset about the stuff going wonkers with loadshedding.
I resorted to a script so that if things don't come up properly after loadshedding my wife can just tell google to "Run HA restart", and a reboot fixed everything.

My issue is/was the order in which things come back online, including docker containers. I have quite a bit of work to do by adding all my containers to a docker compose file and look at the best way of backing up/deploying changes.

Feels like soon I'll be sitting in change control meetings with my wife to peer review my pull requests in github before I can deploy :ROFL:
 
My network is a balls up to keep running during loadhsedding - I have multiple switches in the roof - then switches at various key points on the wall.

Then my entire management system runs on a Gen8 server, including PiHole, which also functions as the DHCP server - which is a complete balls up as it takes long to start after loadshedding, so nothing works until its up.

Going to rethink the system soon - maybe move PiHole to a Pi at least :D

I resorted to a script so that if things don't come up properly after loadshedding my wife can just tell google to "Run HA restart", and a reboot fixed everything.

My issue is/was the order in which things come back online, including docker containers. I have quite a bit of work to do by adding all my containers to a docker compose file and look at the best way of backing up/deploying changes.

Feels like soon I'll be sitting in change control meetings with my wife to peer review my pull requests in github before I can deploy :ROFL:

Was just googling adding docker management to HA, I'm going to try it over the weekend, that way I can trigger them all with automations in specific orders, based on specific conditions (like is the LAN folder shared, if so - start SABNZB, once SABNZB is up - start Sonarr, etc)

https://philhawthorne.com/ha-docker...t-to-monitor-start-or-stop-docker-containers/
 
My network is a balls up to keep running during loadhsedding - I have multiple switches in the roof - then switches at various key points on the wall.

Then my entire management system runs on a Gen8 server, including PiHole, which also functions as the DHCP server - which is a complete balls up as it takes long to start after loadshedding, so nothing works until its up.

Going to rethink the system soon - maybe move PiHole to a Pi at least :D



Was just googling adding docker management to HA, I'm going to try it over the weekend, that way I can trigger them all with automations in specific orders, based on specific conditions (like is the LAN folder shared, if so - start SABNZB, once SABNZB is up - start Sonarr, etc)

https://philhawthorne.com/ha-docker...t-to-monitor-start-or-stop-docker-containers/
That looks interesting, although I'd be more inclined to use non-HA tools. Sticking to more generic docker stuff that I can apply elsewhere.
 
I resorted to a script so that if things don't come up properly after loadshedding my wife can just tell google to "Run HA restart", and a reboot fixed everything.

My issue is/was the order in which things come back online, including docker containers. I have quite a bit of work to do by adding all my containers to a docker compose file and look at the best way of backing up/deploying changes.

Feels like soon I'll be sitting in change control meetings with my wife to peer review my pull requests in github before I can deploy :ROFL:
This is no joke

My wife said to me "If you drop down dead, who do I speak to to help me operate all this ****" the other day
 
This is no joke

My wife said to me "If you drop down dead, who do I speak to to help me operate all this ****" the other day
Only one solution, we'll have to take care of each other's homes if one of us kicks the bucket. Note, take care of each other's homes...not our widowed wives.
 
This is no joke

My wife said to me "If you drop down dead, who do I speak to to help me operate all this ****" the other day

I was actually thinking about leaving instructions on how to de-active and remove the system to return the house to normal in case I dissappear.
 
the most they should need to do is unplug your central hub. then everything should become "dumb" but still function. If it becomes worse than it did before you started automation, then you have been doing something wrong.
 
Then my entire management system runs on a Gen8 server

Thought about getting a PI3B+ to run my "setup", but opted to get out my Gen7(?) HP N54L that I barely used, only for the thing to refuse to even output any image via the VGA port. I suspect my one and only test DDR3 RAM stick is borked.
 
the most they should need to do is unplug your central hub. then everything should become "dumb" but still function. If it becomes worse than it did before you started automation, then you have been doing something wrong.
Its not that simple, unless you have a couple of light bulbs.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X