Home Automation - Smartkit

patrick123

Expert Member
There are far more skills on the Echo and Echo Dot than the Google Home - however, this might not be a requirement in South Africa.

The Google Home obviously integrates well with the Google/Android ecosystem - Amazon is only beginning with phone integration. However, Alexa and Cortana can now communicate with each other - so that's Windows covered.

What are you looking for in an intelligent personal assistant?
Thanks phaktza, at this stage, I'm more dipping my toes in the water with the ultimate idea of automating most of the home.
I tinker a bit on the electronics side of things as well and like the idea that you can add your own custom skills to Alexa. I am at the moment dabbling with the AssistantPi but like all things, time is a limiting factor thus it is currently more as a curiosity than a necessity.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Anyone know of development of some sort of consolidation framework? Its all fun and games getting everything automated - but becomes a bit of a headache with multiple apps for everything...

I mean I have a few already
*Opensprinkler
*Yeelight
*Yoosee
*IFTTT
*Sensibo
etc.

...then add what ever Sonoff uses

Pho3nix

The Legend
Anyone know of development of some sort of consolidation framework? Its all fun and games getting everything automated - but becomes a bit of a headache with multiple apps for everything...

*Opensprinkler
*Yeelight
*Yoosee
*IFTTT
*Sensibo
etc.

Looking for a new project so might look into this but wouldn’t something like the project mentioned earlier(homecloud) work for this?

patrick123

Expert Member
Hi Patrick,

I can't really speak about the Google Home, but I can help on Dot/Echo

When we checked a few months back, the Dot had far more support for home automation and 3rd party products. In fact, stuff we're bringing was compatible with the Dot. Combined with twice the price and a wake word that doesn't roll off the tongue ;) we went with the Dot. However, the Sonoff stuff is now supported and I'd very interested in trying one - especially as a I can legitimately stream my Google Music without jumping though hoops.

The major difference between the Dot and Echo are the builtin speaker. The Echo is a fairly decent speaker while the Dot is small, tinny and pretty much only decent for voice. The only other difference I've found is the Dot has a 3.5mm audio jack while an Echo doesn't.

I pair mine via Bluetooth to my hi-fi speaker when I listen to music, and keep Alexa using the internal speaker. I literally say 'Alexa, connect to my speakers' and it's done. When I go to bed, I say 'Alexa, turn of house' and everything that is on, goes off
I've taken the plunge and got a a dot from you. I will link it onto a set of blue-tooth speakers I have here.

PS. You should register yourself here as a Vendor.

There are far more skills on the Echo and Echo Dot than the Google Home - however, this might not be a requirement in South Africa.

The Google Home obviously integrates well with the Google/Android ecosystem - Amazon is only beginning with phone integration. However, Alexa and Cortana can now communicate with eachother - so that's Windows covered.

What are you looking for in an intelligent personal assistant?
I've decided to go with an Amazon unit mainly because you can add extra skills ( and build your own) for it. I don't know if the Google assistant can do the same, admitted, I did not do a very in depth search. At 1.3k, if it does not work out, Wifey will have a fancy radio next to her bedside.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Thanks Patrick - will pick up the order shortly and process :)

As to the vendor suggestion, I did think of it - but I've got a full time job and this is purely a side thing. I would be scared becoming a vendor is a commitment ;)

On the Dot - I think you'll enjoy it. I use it for an alarm clock, music, adding shopping lists and of course the lights - especially the lamp I use at the back of the lounge when I'm watching TV. Just so much easier using voice that getting to where the small switch is hanging at the back :/

You bought a Sonoff at least as well to test the voice part and give your opinion ?

patrick123

Expert Member
Hi Patrick,

I can't really speak about the Google Home, but I can help on Dot/Echo

When we checked a few months back, the Dot had far more support for home automation and 3rd party products. In fact, stuff we're bringing was compatible with the Dot. Combined with twice the price and a wake word that doesn't roll off the tongue ;) we went with the Dot. However, the Sonoff stuff is now supported and I'd very interested in trying one - especially as a I can legitimately stream my Google Music without jumping though hoops.

The major difference between the Dot and Echo are the builtin speaker. The Echo is a fairly decent speaker while the Dot is small, tinny and pretty much only decent for voice. The only other difference I've found is the Dot has a 3.5mm audio jack while an Echo doesn't.

I pair mine via Bluetooth to my hi-fi speaker when I listen to music, and keep Alexa using the internal speaker. I literally say 'Alexa, connect to my speakers' and it's done. When I go to bed, I say 'Alexa, turn ofof house' and everything that is on, goes off
Thanks Patrick - will pick up the order shortly and process :)

As to the vendor suggestion, I did think of it - but I've got a full time job and this is purely a side thing. I would be scared becoming a vendor is a commitment ;)

On the Dot - I think you'll enjoy it. I use it for an alarm clock, music, adding shopping lists and of course the lights - especially the lamp I use at the back of the lounge when I'm watching TV. Just so much easier using voice that getting to where the small switch is hanging at the back :/

You bought a Sonoff at least as well to test the voice part and give your opinion ?
Not yet Dolby, that will be the next step. I have your web-page bookmarked so don't be surprised when a couple of more orders start coming through.

From what I see, we basically have to gyppo the registration page to get it to see that we come from South Africa?

Dolby

Honorary Master
You shouldn't have to ?

We've received a number of orders over past weeks that worked flawlessly?
Where is the issue?

The one thing that isn't super clear (but a really great add, I find!) is that you don't need an account to purchase. Find what what you need, click add to cart, fill out details and click 'ok'. There is a checkbox that you can create an account if needed - but optional.

patrick123

Expert Member
You shouldn't have to ?

We've received a number of orders over past weeks that worked flawlessly?
Where is the issue?

You would know better than me. I just picked up a couple of links like this and that is why I raised the question.

https://beebom.com/how-to-set-up-and-use-amazon-echo-outside-us/

The one thing that isn't super clear (but a really great add, I find!) is that you don't need an account to purchase. Find what what you need, click add to cart, fill out details and click 'ok'. There is a checkbox that you can create an account if needed - but optional.
Yep, I was lost for half a second, as I was expecting it to follow the normal routine of the other places, but all went quick and flawlessly.
Thanks again.

alqassam

Expert Member

*Opensprinkler
*Yeelight
*Yoosee
*IFTTT
*Sensibo
etc.

You might be able to control everything using openhab on a pi3

alqassam

Expert Member
So I'm moving into a new home and want to automate certain things. Looking into making it as fluid as possible. Possible to use home assistance or openhab and Amazon alexa or home.

Security system incl cameras - still need to look into this but basically full control over alarm and cameras. Some of the ip WiFi cameras might be a better option than a full blown cctv system.
Smart door locks with settings and monitoring of unauthorised access
Wireless control of lighting - sonoff possibly reflashed with mqtt. Need to check if wiring allows it
Smart control of garage and gate motors. - need to find product, apparently sonoff can be hacked to do this.
Power consumption monitors
Geyser control - sonoff should work for this
Pool pump - sonoff should work for this
Sprinklers not sure yet as large garden might make sprinklers unfeasible cost wise. Opensprinkler.

Need to run lan cables in house to allow for strong WiFi signal all over.

Anything I'm missing or anything you would like to share.

Sonoff has really made this endeavour that much more affordable. Qwikswitch is like 10x the price

alqassam

Expert Member
The sonoff relay with POW will be great for geyser and pool pump as it also give you power consumption. This will allow you to tweak it considerably.

Dolby

Honorary Master
The Sonoff POW are only 16A and won't be suited to a geyser or even a large pool pump. Just check the ratings of the items you'd like to connect so you don't overload.

Quikswitch is expensive - but there are a few advantages : locally made with 3 year warranty, sensors such as door, PIR, light intensity and on the whole, a solution that offers far more than lighting.

Sonoff are expanding though and I believe the next 6 months are going to be great, with possible IP camera solution and IFTTT support

alqassam

Expert Member
The Sonoff POW are only 16A and won't be suited to a geyser or even a large pool pump. Just check the ratings of the items you'd like to connect so you don't overload.

Quikswitch is expensive - but there are a few advantages : locally made with 3 year warranty, sensors such as door, PIR, light intensity and on the whole, a solution that offers far more than lighting.

Sonoff are expanding though and I believe the next 6 months are going to be great, with possible IP camera solution and IFTTT support
Thanks will keep that in mind. That opengarage looks interesting. Does qwikswitch integrate with openhab?

What does Hager offer and expected cost?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I tend to stay on the 'end user' side of things with standard firmware and app.

phaktza is the technical arm and will pop on this thread tomorrow. He's experimenting with the different firmware, functions they add and additional servers / apps.

I'll find out if there is more info on OpenGarage tomorrow, but ETA has always been around October. Same with the Hager stuff.

Hager is, admittedly, expensive but again has advantages the the others don't have. Hager make a number of products but we'll focus on lighting for now and expand if needed.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Got my hands on a multi-source multi-zone amplifier this weekend and a few of the control panels that go with it. WIll be interesting to see how it all hangs together and whether I can actually use it.

phaktza

Executive Member
Thanks will keep that in mind. That opengarage looks interesting. Does qwikswitch integrate with openhab?

What does Hager offer and expected cost?
Hi alqassam

Thanks for your question.

Out the box Qwikswitch doesn't integrate with OpenHAB (currently only HomeAssistant is supported) - but the selling point of QS has been it's open API. Terence, from Qwikswitch, as a paper here which should give you guidance in terms of setting up with OpenHAB. Disclaimer: I have never attempted to integrate with OpenHAB, please let me know if you come right!

Cheers

phaktza

Executive Member
So I'm moving into a new home and want to automate certain things. Looking into making it as fluid as possible. Possible to use home assistance or openhab and Amazon alexa or home.

Security system incl cameras - still need to look into this but basically full control over alarm and cameras. Some of the ip WiFi cameras might be a better option than a full blown cctv system.
Smart door locks with settings and monitoring of unauthorised access
Wireless control of lighting - sonoff possibly reflashed with mqtt. Need to check if wiring allows it
Smart control of garage and gate motors. - need to find product, apparently sonoff can be hacked to do this.
Power consumption monitors
Geyser control - sonoff should work for this
Pool pump - sonoff should work for this
Sprinklers not sure yet as large garden might make sprinklers unfeasible cost wise. Opensprinkler.

Need to run lan cables in house to allow for strong WiFi signal all over.

Anything I'm missing or anything you would like to share.

Sonoff has really made this endeavour that much more affordable. Qwikswitch is like 10x the price
Hi Alqassam

On the geyser control side, Sonoff doesn't have a product able to handle more than 16A of current - geysers are usually, at a minimum, 20A. Qwikswitch, on the other hand, has some 30A relays - please feel free to PM for a good price, the prices on the website aren't set in stone. The same is true of a pool pump.

On the Sonoff side - PM for a good price! ;-)

Cheers

alqassam

Expert Member
Hi Alqassam

On the geyser control side, Sonoff doesn't have a product able to handle more than 16A of current - geysers are usually, at a minimum, 20A. Qwikswitch, on the other hand, has some 30A relays - please feel free to PM for a good price, the prices on the website aren't set in stone. The same is true of a pool pump.

On the Sonoff side - PM for a good price! ;-)

Cheers
Sure I will definitely do